tdup2

Default Cremation Urn needed

I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friend. Any suggestions as
to size or anyone having some nice plans would be appreciated. I think it
will be in the form of a box.

Thanks
Tim

Unquestionably Confused

tdup2 wrote:
I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friend. Any suggestions as
to size or anyone having some nice plans would be appreciated. I think it
will be in the form of a box.

Didn't this topic come up here within the last year or so?

Might do a Google search to see what the archives hold.

In the meantime, here's a link or two to get you started

To determine the volume (size) you'll need:

http://mainelyurns.com/cremation-urnsize.html

Designs:

http://www.aspenaftercare.com/merchandise/urns.php

http://www.evrmemories.com/faqs.htm

Check out hardwood urns on the left column

NorthIdahoWWer

I did one for my mom's ashes. I made it so that the cardboard urn that the
crematorium would just fit inside. That way we didn't have to open the
cardboard one. You might check with your friend to see what the container
size is that the ashes are in now.

I made my mom's out of black walnut, laser engraved the lid, and we buried
the it with her ashes inside on the land that her grandfather homesteaded in
the Oklahoma panhandle. It's one of the most cherished things I've ever
made even though I'll never see it again.

Will

"tdup2" wrote in message
I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friend. Any suggestions as
to size or anyone having some nice plans would be appreciated. I think it
will be in the form of a box.

Thanks
Tim

mac davis

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:44:07 -0400, "tdup2" wrote:

I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friend. Any suggestions as
to size or anyone having some nice plans would be appreciated. I think it
will be in the form of a box.

Thanks
Tim

Try Bill's site, Tim... He made a really nice one...
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/urn.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Tom

What was your friend like? Think about a design that will reflect his
personality.

A friend of mine was an traditionalist woodworker. His dream was to
retire and spend all his time in his barn making sawdust. Unfortunately
cancer got him just after retirement. The urn his two best friends made
for his ashes was a scale model of his barn complete with a wood shingle
roof and copper roofed cupola. I set his work bench up with tools and if
you open the door, there is a picture of him standing in the doorway.
Many parts came from doll house suppliers and others were custom made.
Now he'll always be where he wanted to be. RIP, Don.

Tom

tdup2 wrote:
I have been asked to make a cremation urn for a friend. Any suggestions as
to size or anyone having some nice plans would be appreciated. I think it
will be in the form of a box.

Thanks
Tim

Lee Michaels

"Tom" wrote

What was your friend like? Think about a design that will reflect his
personality.

A friend of mine was an traditionalist woodworker. His dream was to retire
and spend all his time in his barn making sawdust. Unfortunately cancer
got him just after retirement. The urn his two best friends made for his
ashes was a scale model of his barn complete with a wood shingle roof and
copper roofed cupola. I set his work bench up with tools and if you open
the door, there is a picture of him standing in the doorway. Many parts
came from doll house suppliers and others were custom made. Now he'll
always be where he wanted to be. RIP, Don.

Talk about personal service. Not only was that very creative and thoughtful,
I am sure that Don approved as well.

And it shows what a good friend you were too.

Interesting that this came up. I was wanting to build miniature
(traditional shape) coffins to be used as 'urns'. I was planning to
assemble with box joints at all intersections using wood varieties as
available with a copper liner. My family thinks I'm a bit off on
this.

http://www.mhp-casketkits.com/items....ffin_plan.html
This place has plans for fullsize coffins, but I think you can get
ideas from the pics and downsize from there. About 3-4 quart capacity
should be about right. I'm guessing a that few weeks to custom build
one (decide on wood, shape, size, jointery, finish) after someone dies
may be a bit long.

It would be nice to see what you come up with.

Pete