Dick Snyder

Default Popular Woodworking Miter Saw stand

I wonder if anyone who reads this group has built the miter saw stand on the
Popular Woodworking website. The plan is at
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1021

I am building it now. The plans calls for an integrated vacuum that turns on
when the saw is turned on. The vacuum is connected to the dust collection
port (or should I call it the "created dust port") on the miter saw. I am
inclined to skip this part of the project as I think most of my dust
bypasses the dust collection port and just blows out the back of the saw. I
was planning to attach a Big Gulp dust hood or something like it to the rear
of the stand. Before doing all that I hope to hear from someone who has
built this miter saw stand and has some experience using it.

TIA.

Dick SNyder

JJ

Dick,

I built this stand about a year ago with some custom modifications for me. I
did leave out the dust collection portion of it as, even if I have a shop vac
hose hooked up to the dust collection port on my Craftsman 12" saw, most of the
sawdust does end up blowing out the back of the saw. The included dust
collection bag needs to be emptied rarely.

The plan is great though and the stand has held up so well that I built others
similar in concept to accomodate a large sanding unit, a scrollsaw and, of
course, my pride and joy router table.

For the miter saw plan though I added a rigid fence on each "wing" to keep the
work piece in line with the saw's fence and I added a T-track on the top of
each rigid fence piece to add a floating stop gauge.

Good Luck

John

I wonder if anyone who reads this group has built the miter saw stand on the

Popular Woodworking website. The plan is at
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1021 I am building it
now. The plans calls for an integrated vacuum that turns on when the saw is
turned on. The vacuum is connected to the dust collection port (or should I
call it the "created dust port") on the miter saw. I am inclined to skip this
part of the project as I think most of my dust bypasses the dust collection
port and just blows out the back of the saw. I was planning to attach a Big
Gulp dust hood or something like it to the rear of the stand. Before doing
all that I hope to hear from someone who has built this miter saw stand and has
some experience using it. TIA. Dick SNyder

Darrell Dorsey

I built one. I skipped the vac as well. You can see the big gulp is stored
in a slide out tray in the bottom:
http://home.covad.net/~dbdors/Woodwo...saw_stand.html

Darrell

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
. ..
I wonder if anyone who reads this group has built the miter saw stand on
the Popular Woodworking website. The plan is at
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1021

I am building it now. The plans calls for an integrated vacuum that turns
on when the saw is turned on. The vacuum is connected to the dust
collection port (or should I call it the "created dust port") on the miter
saw. I am inclined to skip this part of the project as I think most of my
dust bypasses the dust collection port and just blows out the back of the
saw. I was planning to attach a Big Gulp dust hood or something like it to
the rear of the stand. Before doing all that I hope to hear from someone
who has built this miter saw stand and has some experience using it.

TIA.

Dick SNyder

Toller

What are the miter slots used for; just to hold a stop block?
If so, it seems to me that a clamp would be an aweful lot cheaper and just
as easy.

Dick Snyder

Hi JJ,

If you have them, could you post some pictures of what you did on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? I'd love to see the modifications that
you made.

Thanks.

Dick

"JJ" wrote in message
[...]

Dick Snyder

Hi Darrell,

How do you attach the big gulp to your saw? I couldn't tell from the
website.

Dick

"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
ervers.com...
[...]

Darrell Dorsey

It is attached with clamps to the adjustable table. There is a brace made
from some scrap plywood and the Big Gulp is screwed to the brace. I then
take a couple of small bessey, jorgys or spring clamp and clamp to the back
of the table behind the saw. I've added a couple of hastily taken pictures:

Brace: http://home.covad.net/~dbdors/Woodwo...tand/BRACE.jpg
Spring Clamp:
http://home.covad.net/~dbdors/Woodwo...tand/CLAMP.jpg
Shown mounted:
http://home.covad.net/~dbdors/Woodwo...nd/MOUNTED.jpg

Hope this helps. I forgot to add that I really like the stand. It is very
versatile and gets used a lot. I didn't build the fence as in the plans. I
didn't want to loose an cutting capacity. I have been intending to do a
write up for my web site, but have yet to get a "Round Tuit". So far I've
just loaded the pictures.

I've hooked a shop vac up to the saw before and found it useless. I wasn't
about to send money on a dedicated vac plus controls for the stand for
marginal performance. The Big Gulp with dust collector is much more
effective.

[...]

Dick Snyder

Thanks for the pictures Darrell. Very clear.

[...]

Folding miter saw stand Paul O. Woodworking 10 June 3rd 05 03:19 AM
Miter Saw Stand ksm Woodworking 6 March 23rd 05 01:41 AM
15 inch planer review in Popular Woodworking Eric Anderson Woodworking 16 January 19th 05 07:08 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM