Groggy

Default Is it possible? I wonder ... hmmm

For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a
little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and
the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old
thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am
thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent
on getting a roller to fit.
George

"Groggy" wrote in message
For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a
little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and
the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old
thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am
thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent
on getting a roller to fit.

Not a new idea, but the business of clipping the paper to the roller and
cooling it as it sands is the killer. You can (could, anyway) buy dual
capable machines, but none of them operate with screaming, underpowered
universal motors.

Greg G.

Groggy said:

For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a
little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and
the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old
thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am
thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent
on getting a roller to fit.

Wow - What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this idea 5
minutes ago - while contemplating the best way to sand segmented rings
absolutely flat. (For woodturning segmented vessels).

Then reality struck as I contemplated the high speed of the cutterhead
and the horrific whine of the Taiwanese universal motor.

Me thinks a couple of pillow blocks and an old roller from a LaserJet
coupled to a slower surplus induction motor might be a better plan.
Move the platform (height and lateral position) rather than the
sanding head on multiple, cogged belt or chain driven threaded rods to
prevent skew, and viola - another Rube Goldberg kludge to erase your
fingertips. ;-)

Might work for smallish items...

FWIW,

Greg G.
Robatoy

In article ,
Groggy wrote:

For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a
little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and
the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old
thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am
thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent
on getting a roller to fit.

Some of our readers may be interested to take a peek he

http://www.nicks.ca/Toolkits.html#sandplan

I have seen this in action at a woodshow and was intrigued..

point is.. he sells parts too.
John Girouard

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Groggy wrote:

For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a
little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and
the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old
thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am
thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent
on getting a roller to fit.

Some of our readers may be interested to take a peek he

http://www.nicks.ca/Toolkits.html#sandplan

I have seen this in action at a woodshow and was intrigued..

point is.. he sells parts too.

Here's a few more links I've picked up on the wreck:

http://www.ukuleles.com/BuildingHowTo/sandthck.html
http://www.areddy.net/wood/tools.html
http://www.rockslide.org/drum%20sander.html

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to build a drum and use it on a
lathe. Seems like it would be workable to me...

-John

Chris Friesen

Robatoy wrote:

Some of our readers may be interested to take a peek he

http://www.nicks.ca/Toolkits.html#sandplan

I have seen this in action at a woodshow and was intrigued..
point is.. he sells parts too.

See also:

https://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.asp

Seems to be essentially the same thing. Their kit uses link belt
instead of a rubber belt, and has balanced pulleys, but doesn't include
the hinges/bolts.

Chris

Hmmm. Tom Watson Woodworking 2 May 30th 05 05:55 PM
Sunday dissapointment Tom Gardner Metalworking 11 February 8th 05 05:05 AM