BillyBob

Default Magnetic or vacuum hold down clamp??

I'm looking for something that may not exist. I have a cast iron sliding
table and I believe it would be a lot more useful with some type of magnetic
or vacuum base hold down clamps. This type of clamp would simply attach to
the sliding table and use a screw or toggle type clamp to hold the wood in
place. Has anyone seen such a thing or have any suggestions for a base on
which I could add my own clamps?

Bob

Morris Dovey

BillyBob (in et)
said:

| I'm looking for something that may not exist. I have a cast iron
| sliding table and I believe it would be a lot more useful with some
| type of magnetic or vacuum base hold down clamps. This type of
| clamp would simply attach to the sliding table and use a screw or
| toggle type clamp to hold the wood in place. Has anyone seen such a
| thing or have any suggestions for a base on which I could add my
| own clamps?
|
| Bob

Bob...

If you'd like to try a vacuum base, you can make it with a block of
plastic and a bit of weatherstripping. A recycled refrigerator
compressor works well as a vacuum pump. You might get a few ideas from
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/assembly.html. I'd suggest at least 15 sq
in or so for secure attachment.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

BillyBob

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Magnetic clamps are commonly used for milling. Check out the
metalworking suppliers.

Thanks for tickling my brain, Mike. I looked at McMaster-Carr and found
something that may be the start of a something that will work well. Its
called a magnetic base - a plain old magnet block with a threaded hole and a
switch to release it. It should be pretty easy to add a standard hold down
or toggle clamp to this. Their economy version is claimed to have 160 lb
pull and is only $13. If it works out, I'll order some more and post
pictures.

Bob

Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey (in ) said:

| BillyBob (in et)
| said:
|
|| I'm looking for something that may not exist. I have a cast iron
|| sliding table and I believe it would be a lot more useful with some
|| type of magnetic or vacuum base hold down clamps. This type of
|| clamp would simply attach to the sliding table and use a screw or
|| toggle type clamp to hold the wood in place. Has anyone seen such a
|| thing or have any suggestions for a base on which I could add my
|| own clamps?
|| Bob
|
| Bob...
|
| If you'd like to try a vacuum base, you can make it with a block of
| plastic and a bit of weatherstripping. A recycled refrigerator
| compressor works well as a vacuum pump. You might get a few ideas
| from http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/assembly.html. I'd suggest at least
| 15 sq in or so for secure attachment.

Photo of shop-made vacuum base on ABPW. I like the magnetic base idea
even better.