JB

Default Source for 3 Phase Motors?

Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if anyone
can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in Middletown,
NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

Joe AutoDrill

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am going to make a rotary phase converter and would like to know if
anyone
can tell me of a good source for used 3 phase motors. I live in
Middletown,
NJ. I am looking for a 7.5 hp motor.

Many thanks for the help.

Joe...

You again?!? grin

RCM folks will probably have more sources than the folks here. 7.5HP is a
pretty large motor for woodworking unless you're cutting logs.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

Charley

You might try a metal salvage yard (not auto salvage). These places collect
and sort all types of metal and discarded machinery from industrial sources.
When I decided to build my phase converter I found that the local salvage
yard had 18 three phase motors to choose from ranging in size from 1 HP to
20 HP. I chose the 10 HP. It had a weird frame design and a threaded shaft
and that may have been the reason why it was only $40, but it was 240 volt
and that's all that mattered to me. I could have had the 20 HP for $200 but
I passed on it because I couldn't comprehend moving it about in my shop and
I had no intention of ever needing that much 3 phase power.

--
Charley