Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Amy L.

Default Floating Hardwood floor (Tips?)

I am laying (floating) an engineered hardwood floor and so far its been
pretty fun. Does anyone have any good tips on making things easier. I have
all the basics down (expansion gap, tapping block, glue, etc) - but are
there any good tips. I will give a couple of examples of areas where I
think some tips from the pros will help - but I am open to any tips.

[1] Glue - when the excess glue pops out between the joints what do you use
to clean it up? I am using a damp cloth and it works well, but I feel like
I am spending too much time ensuring there is no glue showing between the
boards. The flooring has beveled edges so I usually run my nail along the
edge making sure it is absolutely clean.
[2] Any tips on cutting around door edges or vents in the floor for heat/ac?
I started with a skill saw and have since moved to my sliding miter and
coping saw. I get it as close as possible with the miter and than cope the
corner and it has worked out a 1000x's better than the skill saw. I was out
of control with that skill saw.
[3] Any tips on momentum - I would love to pick up some speed but it just
seems like a slow process.
[4] Any tips on when cutting end pieces to fit keep the splintering to a
minimum? I have been using a pretty good blade (100T 12inch) and going slow
and this has been working good, but occasionally I do get a bit of a rough
edge.

I know some of those are basic questions and that putting in a floating
floor is not rocket science, but with putting in my own (first) floor I just
want to do the best job I can.

Amy