Jay Pique

Default Dado stack for 16" RAS

I typically see 8" dados used for 10" table saws. I guess you can use
6-inchers too. For a 16" RAS would you go to 14" or could I drop down
to say 10 or 12 inches? A 14" stack looks to cost about $500 new.

Better start checking the auctions...

JP
*****************
Buying used.

Duane Bozarth

Jay Pique wrote:

I typically see 8" dados used for 10" table saws. I guess you can use
6-inchers too. For a 16" RAS would you go to 14" or could I drop down
to say 10 or 12 inches? A 14" stack looks to cost about $500 new.

Reason you normally only find 8" for 5/8" arbor is that a wide stack is
a lot of material to move. Particularly on a RAS, the force to
counteract that in the normal climb-cutting mode can be formidable. I'd
recommend staying w/ the smallest diameter that will provide sufficient
clearance below the head to provide the depth of cut required. I also
recommend extreme care w/ large dado set on a RAS of that size although
I use a RAS extensively as a cutoff machine and in the past have had one
as the only saw in the shop.

Unless there is a reason to go with larger stacks, I think I would
stay with a 8in dado set, as I sure an NOT cutting dado's requiring
the blade to be any larger.

John

On 13 Oct 2005 14:26:10 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

I typically see 8" dados used for 10" table saws. I guess you can use
6-inchers too. For a 16" RAS would you go to 14" or could I drop down
to say 10 or 12 inches? A 14" stack looks to cost about $500 new.

Better start checking the auctions...

JP
*****************
Buying used.

Pat Barber

Your arbor size will determine your minimum size.

ex: 12" dado set has a 1" arbor size.
ex: 10" dado set has a 1" arbor size.

A very good set from Freud for the 10" is "about" $130.

Jay Pique wrote:

I typically see 8" dados used for 10" table saws. I guess you can use
6-inchers too. For a 16" RAS would you go to 14" or could I drop down
to say 10 or 12 inches? A 14" stack looks to cost about $500 new.

Duane Bozarth

Pat Barber wrote:

Your arbor size will determine your minimum size.

ex: 12" dado set has a 1" arbor size.
ex: 10" dado set has a 1" arbor size.

A very good set from Freud for the 10" is "about" $130.

For a 16" RAS, the motor casing clearance is a major consideration of
what clearance a small diameter blade is going to have...

Any blade can be rebored to a larger arbor diameter pretty
inexpensively, so that really isn't a major consideration.

Dado on a curved wall. Lucymoosey Woodworking 1 August 25th 05 09:12 PM
Dado batwings RickS Woodworking 8 January 18th 05 08:24 PM
Stacked Dado or "Wobble" Dado? VINCENT BELANSKY Woodworking 17 February 29th 04 02:55 PM
Saniflow : Coupling copper pipe to soil stack Flat Eric UK diy 0 August 18th 03 01:20 PM
Replacing cast iron DWV stack pipe Alexander Galkin Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 03:03 PM