Scott

Default Plastic dust mat/s question

The other day I was at a hospital where there was construction going on and
outside of every office door there was a blue plastic layered sticky mat
that would release any dust your shoes may have had on them, and when the
mat became full all they would do is peel a plastic layer off of the mat and
a new one would appear. I thought this was an excellent idea and would like
to get some for my basement woodshop so that I wouldn't track so much dust
through the house and my SWMBO would be happy. My shop dust collection
system doesn't get it all. Do any of you out there know anything about
these mats and where they may be purchased? Thanks for your help.

no(SPAM)vasys

Scott wrote:
The other day I was at a hospital where there was construction going on and
outside of every office door there was a blue plastic layered sticky mat
that would release any dust your shoes may have had on them, and when the
mat became full all they would do is peel a plastic layer off of the mat and
a new one would appear. I thought this was an excellent idea and would like
to get some for my basement woodshop so that I wouldn't track so much dust
through the house and my SWMBO would be happy. My shop dust collection
system doesn't get it all. Do any of you out there know anything about
these mats and where they may be purchased? Thanks for your help.

Here's one place:

http://www.stickymats.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Phisherman

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:47:21 GMT, "Scott" wrote:

The other day I was at a hospital where there was construction going on and
outside of every office door there was a blue plastic layered sticky mat
that would release any dust your shoes may have had on them, and when the
mat became full all they would do is peel a plastic layer off of the mat and
a new one would appear. I thought this was an excellent idea and would like
to get some for my basement woodshop so that I wouldn't track so much dust
through the house and my SWMBO would be happy. My shop dust collection
system doesn't get it all. Do any of you out there know anything about
these mats and where they may be purchased? Thanks for your help.

I know that these mats are used in the transition areas from
radioactive sites. I find it effective to use the DC hose on
clothing, hair, and shoes when leaving the shop. At the very least,
removing shoes before entering the living area will help stop the
"trail of sawdust."
Clint

My thought on this is that while they may work well in locations that are
temporary transition areas, in my shop they would probably just get a
coating of dust and become ineffectual quicker than I'd like. So the cost
per use would be pretty high. But I haven't priced them out either. I'd
think the other posters suggestion of hooking up a flexible dust collector
or shopvac hose close to the door would be better. If nothing else, it
won't just remove the dust off the bottoms of your feet. Of course, maybe
if you rolled around on the sticky matt...

--
Clint
"Scott" wrote in message
The other day I was at a hospital where there was construction going on
and
outside of every office door there was a blue plastic layered sticky mat
that would release any dust your shoes may have had on them, and when the
mat became full all they would do is peel a plastic layer off of the mat
and
a new one would appear. I thought this was an excellent idea and would
like
to get some for my basement woodshop so that I wouldn't track so much dust
through the house and my SWMBO would be happy. My shop dust collection
system doesn't get it all. Do any of you out there know anything about
these mats and where they may be purchased? Thanks for your help.

Dust Collection Saga Goes On Pat Barber Woodworking 20 May 20th 05 05:19 PM
Plastic gutter question newman UK diy 7 May 2nd 05 11:43 PM
Ground Wires In A Plastic Gang Box & Wire Nut Question ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 April 24th 05 08:52 PM
Question about dust collection on a Bosch 4410 Sliding Compound Miter Saw Dick Snyder Woodworking 5 January 28th 05 12:19 AM
What dust collectors are really for LP Woodworking 50 December 20th 03 04:43 PM