Steve Peterson

Sorry about that, but this is, in fact, a rather serious debate going on in
the US. The religious right keeps trying to insert some form of creationism
into school - the camel's nose in the doorway. I thought these threads had
about died out a few days ago, but they have come roaring back. Don't read
them. Kill the thread. This too shall pass.

By the way, I am working on a rocking horse. Little parts with curves
everywhere - the guy who developed the plans must sell sandpaper. So I need
to get away from it, now and again.

Steve

wrote in message
I'm a lurker -- a Canadian somewhat interested in woodworking. Been
following the wreck for a year or so --- started out getting some
useful information ... but I'm getting tired watching all the
political ideologues take over the wreck for the past few months.

Out of curiousity this morning, I hit "get unread messages" ... in
the past half dozen hours, there were 77 posts, 9 of which were even
remotely related to woodworking.

That's an eleven percent signal to noise ratio.

I don't have a big problem with off topic posts --- humour, home
repair questions, auto stuff, things like that. But I do have a
problem with the overhwhelming number of posts with U.S. political
and religious orientation.

This is an international forum. I don't see Canadians posting about
Canadian politics, Aussies posting about Aussie politics or Brits
posting about British poliltics. Many of us may have strong feelings
about our native political scenes .. but we do not think they should
be aired in a group dedicated to woodworking.

Perhaps you Americans could give the rest of us a break. If you want
to argue politics, do it somewhere more appropriate.

I'm interested in what Tom Watson, for example, thin ks about
woodworking; he has demonstratable expertise. I really don't care
what he thinks about politics or the state of the universe -- as far
as I can see, he has no credentials that would suggest any particular
insight..

And the same goes for all the others.

Go start an American political debate newsgroup.

Ken

John

Dream on Ken. The kooks have pretty much taken over, the self appointed
experts on political, religious, domestic and world affairs, along with
several people who are very successful as failed comedians. Most of the
real woodworking types have long since bailed out.

David

[...]

Let me know how you propose to prevent these OT posts (of which this is
one g )

Dave

Steve Peterson wrote:
Sorry about that, but this is, in fact, a rather serious debate going on in
the US. The religious right keeps trying to insert some form of creationism
into school - the camel's nose in the doorway.

That is why there are plenty of newsgroups where the discussion would
be
on-topic.

It is not just the schools where the camel's noes is being thrust,
it is this ng too.

--

FF

Steve Peterson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve Peterson wrote:
Sorry about that, but this is, in fact, a rather serious debate going on
in
the US. The religious right keeps trying to insert some form of
creationism
into school - the camel's nose in the doorway.

That is why there are plenty of newsgroups where the discussion would
be
on-topic.

It is not just the schools where the camel's noes is being thrust,
it is this ng too.

--

FF

I think the camel is all the way in in this NG

Robatoy

In article ,
wrote:

I'm a lurker -- a Canadian somewhat interested in woodworking. Been
following the wreck for a year or so --- started out getting some
useful information ... but I'm getting tired watching all the
political ideologues take over the wreck for the past few months.

I'm a Canadian as well. I find that I get a more complete picture of
some of the Wreck's members when they volunteer their views on a variety
of topics. Sometimes a simple statement by somebody leads me to follow
up on my own, and I have discovered some really cool stuff that way.
(Thanks for the lead on the topic of tea, Ed.)

[snipped for brevity]

But I do have a
problem with the overhwhelming number of posts with U.S. political
and religious orientation.

It makes this Wreck what it is. Diverse. I couldn't handle only reading
about water stones vs oil stones. I also like to hear about kidney
stones and Rolling Stones.

[snip]

Perhaps you Americans could give the rest of us a break. If you want
to argue politics, do it somewhere more appropriate.

My problem, Ken, is that most of my friends and relatives are Americans.
I live, literally, 5 minutes from an American White Castle. American
politics have always intrigued me. I'm therefore informed on the current
state of the union.... and I don't get my news from a painfully biased
outlet like Fox. I will stay up on election night if it is a US
election. I cannot stay up and watch a canadian ballot count...it puts
me to sleep.

I'm interested in what Tom Watson, for example, thin ks about
woodworking; he has demonstratable expertise. I really don't care
what he thinks about politics or the state of the universe -- as far
as I can see, he has no credentials that would suggest any particular
insight..

Ken, when somebody like Tom Watson opens his well-worn Thesaurus up for
us, I read what he has to say. I had NO idea he was a liberal. ( I think
I'll give him a nick-name: Thesaurus Rex) It surprised me. He likes the
same music as Swingman... another thing that caught me by surprise.
The list of surprises is endless. But I like to think that I have a
pretty good idea who's what around here. Other than that, I couldn't
give a rat's ass about what anybody thinks about me or anybody else....
well... other than Larry Jaques. What Larry thinks of me is
important..in a sick sort of way. G
Jason Quick

"Doug Miller" wrote:

Bottom line: nobody's forcing you to read anything. Forte Agent has
excellent
killfile and filtering capabilities, I'm told. Perhaps you should learn to
use
them.

So...by that logic, if I were to buy the house next door to you and blast
obnoxious music all day, you wouldn't bitch, right? After all, you wouldn't
be forced to listen - you could put in ear plugs, or go somewhere for a
while.

The attitude you're expressing enables poor behavior.

Jason

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:56:23 -0500, Jason Quick wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote:

Bottom line: nobody's forcing you to read anything. Forte Agent has
excellent
killfile and filtering capabilities, I'm told. Perhaps you should learn to
use
them.

So...by that logic, if I were to buy the house next door to you and blast
obnoxious music all day, you wouldn't bitch, right? After all, you wouldn't
be forced to listen - you could put in ear plugs, or go somewhere for a
while.

Um, no. It's more like: You're walking down the street, and see a bar
with lots of motorcycles, and people with leather jackets walking in and
out.l You choose to go in. Once you're in, you announce to the crowd
that you just can't stand bikers.

The attitude you're expressing enables poor behavior.

Complaining about something that's clearly marked, easily avoided, and
that you yourself choose to read, is also poor behavior. Me, I don't
see any value in widely crossposted threads, so I configured my
newsreader to silently ignore them for me. I also don't see any value
coming from certain posters, so I likewise configured my newsreader to
silently ignore them for me. It's really not complicated, and helps to
improve what I see as the signal:noise ratio. Someone's off-topic
message? Maybe noise. Someone bitching about reading something
off-topic, when they could easily avoid doing so in any one of many
methods? Definately noise.

Dave Hinz

Leon

wrote in message
I'm a lurker -- a Canadian somewhat interested in woodworking. Been
following the wreck for a year or so --- started out getting some
useful information ... but I'm getting tired watching all the
political ideologues take over the wreck for the past few months.

Simple solution. Do not read what you do not want to read.

Out of curiousity this morning, I hit "get unread messages" ... in
the past half dozen hours, there were 77 posts, 9 of which were even
remotely related to woodworking.

That's an eleven percent signal to noise ratio.

Sounds like it is actually getting better. You should have checked it out a
few years ago.

I don't have a big problem with off topic posts --- humour, home
repair questions, auto stuff, things like that. But I do have a
problem with the overhwhelming number of posts with U.S. political
and religious orientation.

I have a problem with auto stuff and home repair. Nothing in life is
perfect.

This is an international forum. I don't see Canadians posting about
Canadian politics, Aussies posting about Aussie politics or Brits
posting about British poliltics. Many of us may have strong feelings
about our native political scenes .. but we do not think they should
be aired in a group dedicated to woodworking.

If you have not seen Canadians post about Canadian politics you have not
been around long enough. So you speek for all Canadians regarding politics
on this news group? I certainly do not think so.

Perhaps you Americans could give the rest of us a break. If you want
to argue politics, do it somewhere more appropriate.

Perhaps you should go to a nother news group if you do not like it here.
Put up or shut up.

I'm interested in what Tom Watson, for example, thin ks about
woodworking; he has demonstratable expertise.

Actually Tom Watson has been as likely to initiate politics or tell a cutsey
story as talk wood working.

I really don't care
what he thinks about politics or the state of the universe -- as far
as I can see, he has no credentials that would suggest any particular
insight..

We agree on this point.

Leon

"Jason Quick" wrote in message
"Doug Miller" wrote:

Bottom line: nobody's forcing you to read anything. Forte Agent has
excellent
killfile and filtering capabilities, I'm told. Perhaps you should learn
to use
them.

So...by that logic, if I were to buy the house next door to you and blast
obnoxious music all day, you wouldn't bitch, right? After all, you
wouldn't be forced to listen - you could put in ear plugs, or go
somewhere for a while.

**** poor example. You compare behavior that is socially unacceptable and
most likely against the law to something that is easily filtered.

Doug Miller

In article lzz1f.8586$U%5.187@lakeread05, "Jason Quick" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote:

Bottom line: nobody's forcing you to read anything. Forte Agent has
excellent
killfile and filtering capabilities, I'm told. Perhaps you should learn to
use
them.

So...by that logic, if I were to buy the house next door to you and blast
obnoxious music all day, you wouldn't bitch, right? After all, you wouldn't
be forced to listen - you could put in ear plugs, or go somewhere for a
while.

Totally different circumstance, and I think you know that. People choose what
they do, or do not, read. It is impossible to avoid hearing sounds that are
above the threshold of audibility.

The attitude you're expressing enables poor behavior.

Oh, come off it. The OP is complaining because he read something he didn't
like. Simple solution: don't read it.
Jason

--
Regards,

Jay Pique

John wrote:
Dream on Ken. The kooks have pretty much taken over, the self appointed
experts on political, religious, domestic and world affairs, along with
several people who are very successful as failed comedians. Most of the
real woodworking types have long since bailed out.

I beg your pardon. I am a *professional* woodworker and I take offense
because almost everyone here knows more about woodworking than I do
including not building something too big to get out of your basement so
they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I'm killfiling you and every other webtv user in the world in
perpetuity.

JP

Upscale

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I suggest that if you're going to critique anyone's grammar, that you take a
little longer to check some of your own language skills too, such as
spelling. It's "you're plain wrong" not "your plain wrong".

Duane Bozarth

Upscale wrote:

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I suggest that if you're going to critique anyone's grammar, that you take a
little longer to check some of your own language skills too, such as
spelling. It's "you're plain wrong" not "your plain wrong".

Here that should be your plane...altho I admit to getting sucked into
the ID thread, all it really takes is marking one or two threads to be
ignored and one will see virtually none if one doesn't wish to. That
said, I resolve to bite my toungue from now on out despite how absurd
Tim and Fletis become...
Jay Pique

Upscale wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I suggest that if you're going to critique anyone's grammar, that you take a
little longer to check some of your own language skills too, such as
spelling. It's "you're plain wrong" not "your plain wrong".

Whose trolling who?

JP

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
..

Out of curiousity this morning, I hit "get unread messages" ... in
the past half dozen hours, there were 77 posts, 9 of which were even
remotely related to woodworking.

That's an eleven percent signal to noise ratio.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Is you post part of the 89% of
the 11%. Please clarify.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I suggest that if you're going to critique anyone's grammar, that you take a
little longer to check some of your own language skills too, such as
spelling. It's "you're plain wrong" not "your plain wrong".

hehehehe... speaking of canadian politics....nyuk, nyuk
Marc

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I suggest that if you're going to critique anyone's grammar, that you take a
little longer to check some of your own language skills too, such as
spelling. It's "you're plain wrong" not "your plain wrong".

hehehehe... speaking of canadian politics....nyuk, nyuk

1$ billion with a "B" CDN for a gun registration plan that does not work.
And a bend over policy towards the natives ...
Yep, I want to move to the frozen north.

Charlie Self

Guess who wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:01:46 GMT, "Steve Peterson"
wrote:

Sorry about that, but this is, in fact, a rather serious debate going on in
the US.

Then post it in a serious US Politics forum. Why should people have
to spend a day and a half searching for a topic on woodworking in a
woodworking forum to please the whim of a few who excuse themselves
sometimes by saying it's OT? It's like saying liudly that you're
going to fart in a theater. Don't fart there. Do it somewhere else,
like alt.politics.bush. If the issues are that serious talk to your
congressman instead of ranting here. ...If you really do want some
serious results that is. You'll get none here.

Another thing that has already been mentioned. If the off-topic crap
is stopped then some real woodworking people will return to the forum
with some good ideas to offer. Instead, they leave in disgust.

Theaters don't have fart filters. Most ISPs offer filters that allow
EASY kill filing of OT messages.

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Jay Pique" wrote:

Whose trolling who?

Who's trolling?
Steve Peterson

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

Upscale wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
they all must be extremely competent and your just plain wrong and I
think you're grammar is lousy too.

I suggest that if you're going to critique anyone's grammar, that you
take a
little longer to check some of your own language skills too, such as
spelling. It's "you're plain wrong" not "your plain wrong".

Whose trolling who?

JP

And this should be: "Who's trolling whom?"

Charlie Self wrote:

Theaters don't have fart filters. Most ISPs offer filters that allow
EASY kill filing of OT messages.

Irrelevant.

DAGS on UseNet nettiquette.

--

FF

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Charlie Self" wrote:

Theaters don't have fart filters.

Charlie owes me a monitor and keyboard cleaning.
..
..
..
..
..
..
.....damn, that struck me a very funny.
Dave Balderstone

Default The Wreck's score - 68 noise to 9 signal.

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

In article . com,
"Charlie Self" wrote:

Theaters don't have fart filters.

Charlie owes me a monitor and keyboard cleaning.

I'm VERY happy that I had nothing I mouth when I read his post.

;-)

broadcast People, learn to use your filters. If the software you're
using doesn't allow filters, then learn to skip the threads that aren't
of interest or on topic.

Anything else is a waste of *your* time.

/broadcast

Robatoy

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Anything else is a waste of *your* time.

Definately is a waist of there time, irregardless.

*cringes, grimaces*
Dave Balderstone

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

Definately is a waist of there time, irregardless.

I feel your pane.

David

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

Definately is a waist of there time, irregardless.

I feel your pane.

Me two.

Dave

no(SPAM)vasys

David wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

Definately is a waist of there time, irregardless.

I feel your pane.

Me two.

Dave

Awl write buoys, nock it off!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
David

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

David wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

Definately is a waist of there time, irregardless.

I feel your pane.

Me two.

Dave

Awl write buoys, nock it off!

Hay, is that any weigh too tock?

Dave
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:10:35 -0400, "no(SPAM)vasys"
wrote:

David wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Robatoy
wrote:

Definately is a waist of there time, irregardless.

I feel your pane.

Me two.

Dave

Awl write buoys, nock it off!

Awe, if yew say sew

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Awe, if yew say sew

Ewe spelled ewe wrong, That should have set a belle off

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:25:02 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Awe, if yew say sew

Ewe spelled ewe wrong, That should have set a belle off

Hay! This is a woodworking group, eye was trying two keep it on topic.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Hay! This is a woodworking group, eye was trying two keep it on topic.

Oh Kay your write. Eye though maybe ewe just wanted to bear your sole