JGS

Default Need Picture of Bow ties in a table top

After about 30 minutes of looking I still cannot find a picture of bow
ties used to join pieces of a table top. Can someone give me a url with
a picture. Many Thanks, JG

dadiOH

JGS wrote:
After about 30 minutes of looking I still cannot find a picture of bow
ties used to join pieces of a table top. Can someone give me a url
with a picture. Many Thanks, JG

No but they look just like they sound...like two joined dovetail pins,
half in one piece, other half in the other.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Lew Hodgett

JGS wrote:
After about 30 minutes of looking I still cannot find a picture of bow
ties used to join pieces of a table top. Can someone give me a url with
a picture. Many Thanks, JG

No, but it is a standard inlay known as a Dutchman.

Start looking at inlay kits for routers in the catalogs.

Lew

Robatoy

In article ,
JGS wrote:

After about 30 minutes of looking I still cannot find a picture of bow
ties used to join pieces of a table top. Can someone give me a url with
a picture. Many Thanks, JG

Please don't shoot me. I know your interest is in a picture of a table
top, but I wanted to share with you one of my favourite designs of all
time. It uses the bow ties (butterflies) as a method to join large
panels in doors. I swear... one day I will build one of these.
I have NO idea why I like it as much as I do but that page of a 1984
Stickley catalogue is well worn.

http://tinyurl.com/c3egy

JGS

Thanks guys. I can use those pictures to show a client what they would look
like. Cheers, JG

JGS wrote:

After about 30 minutes of looking I still cannot find a picture of bow
ties used to join pieces of a table top. Can someone give me a url with
a picture. Many Thanks, JG

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:31:59 -0400, JGS wrote:

bow ties used to join pieces of a table top.

Rememberthat the lengthwise butterflies go _across_ the grain of the
top. There's a high-ish end furniture shop in Bath with a table in the
window where they go lengthwise. If you know anything about what you're
looking at, this sticks out a mile.
Jeff Gorman

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:31:59 -0400, JGS wrote:

bow ties used to join pieces of a table top.

Rememberthat the lengthwise butterflies go _across_ the grain of the
top.

And in theory at least, will oppose long-term shrinkage in the panels,
possibly encouraging some growth in the thickness of the glue line.

As I say, in theory! I closely inspected some in an Ernest Gimson table in
the Cheltenham museum and saw minute signs of this.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Jeff Gorman wrote:

And in theory at least, will oppose long-term shrinkage in the panels,
possibly encouraging some growth in the thickness of the glue line.

As I say, in theory! I closely inspected some in an Ernest Gimson table in
the Cheltenham museum and saw minute signs of this.

Depends how firmaly they're glued. I've seen some really old
butterflies (18th century) where there was a clear gap opening up, but
it was at the ends of the butterfly. Rather than the glue joint opening
up, the butterfly was working loose instead. Presumably the butterfly
was losing width.

I've not seen a Gimson piece showing any real signs of movement yet.
Was this the hayrake table? I ought to go back and take a look again,
it's a while since I've been to the Cheltenham gallery and it's a good
collection.