AL

Default Using a chainsaw?

Are there any classes, videos, books, etc. that explain how to properly use
a chainsaw? I mean things that aren't obvious, such as how to cut an
unbalanced tree so that it doesn't rotate and fall on you, how to prevent
kickback, etc.

I've been thinking about this for years but never got around to it. I want
to learn ahead of time, rather than waiting for a storm, tornado, etc. and
then having to learn on the fly while I clean up my property.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:06:33 -0500, AL wrote:
Are there any classes, videos, books, etc. that explain how to properly use
a chainsaw? I mean things that aren't obvious, such as how to cut an
unbalanced tree so that it doesn't rotate and fall on you, how to prevent
kickback, etc.

I don't know specifically, but technicalvideorental.com has got some
great videos. If they have one on chainsawing, it's probably a good
one.

Dave "not affiliated, etc" Hinz

John Thomas

"Tom Dacon" wrote in
:

For $5.95, Lee Valley has a booklet that is a chain saw and crosscut
saw training course, originally printed by the USDA Forest Service.
It's excellent.

Tom Dacon

That's the one I was going to suggest also. It's quite good.

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

M&S

AL wrote:

Are there any classes, videos, books, etc. that explain how to properly use
a chainsaw? I mean things that aren't obvious, such as how to cut an
unbalanced tree so that it doesn't rotate and fall on you, how to prevent
kickback, etc.

I've been thinking about this for years but never got around to it. I want
to learn ahead of time, rather than waiting for a storm, tornado, etc. and
then having to learn on the fly while I clean up my property.

If you contact your local USDA or forestry department they can often
times direct you to a certification course with regards to chainsaws,
logging, etc.. It may be something you want to look into. Watching
things on a video as opposed to actually working with someone in the
woods, showing you first hand may be worth the effort.

As with everything there are tips and trick you learn only with time but
learning general guidelines, 20% wedge, 20% hinge, etc. as well as how
to cut a leaning tree, as you said, are very important if you are going
to do any amount of felling.

Cleaning up from a hurricane or tornado however can be a very different
story. Trees can often be in a serious bind, loaded up with all sorts of
multidirectional tension due to the storm and the way they fell/landed.
These situations can be very dangerous to cut out as they are extremely
unpredictable. We spent an entire year (nights and weekends) cleaning up
following a major ice storm and cut some trees that did some really wild
things getting them the rest of the way to the ground. If you are ever
in this situation be very carefull and if you arent 100% positive what
the tree is going to do, and dont have a clear getaway, dont cut it.
Leave it ot someone else.

Mark

Tom Banes

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:19:39 GMT, M&S wrote:

.. Trees can often be in a serious bind, loaded up with all sorts of
multidirectional tension due to the storm and the way they fell/landed.
These situations can be very dangerous to cut out as they are extremely
unpredictable.

I cut mostly blow- downs on my 600 AC up in Northeast Texes.

The advice is to be followed. Have an exit route, unimpeded!

Regardss
Schroeder

Learn from someone else!...when **** goes south sawing trees with a chain
saw its all bad...you can't teach experience, start slow, have lotsa wedges,
wear the gear, and be prepared to "run away"

Schroeder