habbi

Default raised panel bit

I have a Freud 3 piece raised panel set and the panel bit does not have a
back cutter. I noticed some sets do. For my set do I have to do a back cut
with a rabbet bit or something?

Leon

"habbi" wrote in message
I have a Freud 3 piece raised panel set and the panel bit does not have a
back cutter. I noticed some sets do. For my set do I have to do a back cut
with a rabbet bit or something?

Yes you will have to make a back cut. You can do it with the TS or on the
router table with a straight cut bit elevated enough to make the panel fit
the rails and stiles slots. I actually prefer this type set up as it lets
you be more flexible when milling the raised panel.

Toller

"habbi" wrote in message
I have a Freud 3 piece raised panel set and the panel bit does not have a
back cutter. I noticed some sets do. For my set do I have to do a back cut
with a rabbet bit or something?

That's correct; though I have just flipped the panel over and done both
sides the same.

LP

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:13:11 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

I have a Freud 3 piece raised panel set and the panel bit does not have a
back cutter. I noticed some sets do. For my set do I have to do a back cut
with a rabbet bit or something?

Yes, and like Leon I prefer the straight bit setup to a rabbeting bit.
Or, you can mill your panel stock to 5/8" instead of 3/4" and leave
the back flat. Depends on which look you prefer.