Sasha

Default Mitered raised panel doors

I am considering making mitered raised panel doors for my kitchen
instead of traditional ones. How harder or easier is it to make mitered
doors? How strong are they? My primary concern is how to reinforce
mitered join. Is #10 biscuit string enough?

brianlanning

If you work it right, you can probably get by without a cabinet making
router bit set.

Why not use a spline with a contrasting wood instead of a biscuit?

brian

David

Sasha wrote:

I am considering making mitered raised panel doors for my kitchen
instead of traditional ones. How harder or easier is it to make mitered
doors? How strong are they? My primary concern is how to reinforce
mitered join. Is #10 biscuit string enough?

the trickiest part I see is getting the miters PRECISELY 45 degrees so
that the glue line will be uniform so that the joints won't come apart
under repeated stress. Use the largest biscuits you can fit into the
joints. Rail/stile construction is the norm. what's the reason you
want to make mitered doors? lack of tools? prefer the "look"?

dave
Duane Bozarth

David wrote:

Sasha wrote:

I am considering making mitered raised panel doors for my kitchen
instead of traditional ones. How harder or easier is it to make mitered
doors? How strong are they? My primary concern is how to reinforce
mitered join. Is #10 biscuit string enough?

the trickiest part I see is getting the miters PRECISELY 45 degrees so
that the glue line will be uniform so that the joints won't come apart
under repeated stress. Use the largest biscuits you can fit into the
joints. Rail/stile construction is the norm. what's the reason you
want to make mitered doors? lack of tools? prefer the "look"?

dave

Cutting precise miters shouldn't be a problem. As someone else noted, a
spline would also work well here and could add some "pizzazz" to the
finished product.
Sasha

I do have all tools and good router table and made raised panel doors
for several projects already. I want to insert mouldings recessed into
styles and rails.

loutent

Hi,

I usually make doors cope & stick or M&T, but on
several projects I have done mitered doors. One
big advantage is that you can make the rails/stiles
with a bead/groove etc which will progress uninterupted
around the door (which is why I did it).

I joined the miters with #20 biscuits. I found it useful
to make a jig to hold the biscuit joiner in place an then
after cutting the 45's, clamp them into the jig to cut
the slot.

These are very strong joints. I have never had one fail.
If you are worried about it, you can always use 2 biscuits
at each joint if the wood is thick enough.

When I first got my biscuit joiner about 10 years ago,
I made a pair of oak doors for my shop, just to see if
the biscuits would hold up. They take a beating but have
yet to fail in any way.

It is a quick & easy way to make a door.

Lou

In article . com,
Sasha wrote:

I am considering making mitered raised panel doors for my kitchen
instead of traditional ones. How harder or easier is it to make mitered
doors? How strong are they? My primary concern is how to reinforce
mitered join. Is #10 biscuit string enough?

Leon

"David" wrote in message
Sasha wrote:

I am considering making mitered raised panel doors for my kitchen
instead of traditional ones. How harder or easier is it to make mitered
doors? How strong are they? My primary concern is how to reinforce
mitered join. Is #10 biscuit string enough?

the trickiest part I see is getting the miters PRECISELY 45 degrees so
that the glue line will be uniform so that the joints won't come apart
under repeated stress. Use the largest biscuits you can fit into the
joints. Rail/stile construction is the norm. what's the reason you want
to make mitered doors? lack of tools? prefer the "look"?

dave

Along with perfect 45 degree angles you will also need parallel pieces to be
exactly the same length.

David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Sasha wrote:

I am considering making mitered raised panel doors for my kitchen
instead of traditional ones. How harder or easier is it to make mitered
doors? How strong are they? My primary concern is how to reinforce
mitered join. Is #10 biscuit string enough?

the trickiest part I see is getting the miters PRECISELY 45 degrees so
that the glue line will be uniform so that the joints won't come apart
under repeated stress. Use the largest biscuits you can fit into the
joints. Rail/stile construction is the norm. what's the reason you want
to make mitered doors? lack of tools? prefer the "look"?

dave

Along with perfect 45 degree angles you will also need parallel pieces to be
exactly the same length.

yeah, I've made two picture frames so far, and took SPECIAL care to
ensure the miters were dead-on, perfect 45's. Popped in biscuits, laid
on the glue and chinched it all up with my trust Lee Valley strap.
Checked the diagonals--perfecto. and no unsightly gaps on the front
face of the frame. Anytime I've looked at frames in stores, the first
thing I check out is the corners. Many frames don't pass my critical
eye for loose joints. I think my pickiness is the prime reason all my
projects seem to take longer than I expect. The upside is that the
results impress viewers (or they have all suddenly become good liars
after lifetimes of always blurting out the truth whether it hurts or
not). Life's little rewards are sometimes nothing more than a job well
done...

Dave

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
6 panel doors habbi Woodworking 17 April 11th 05 01:43 PM
3 Panel Sliding Patio Doors - Does anybody do these in the UK Sean UK diy 2 March 4th 05 08:30 PM
raised panel cabinet doors Mark Woodworking 7 August 20th 04 02:56 AM
Help upgrading Service panel from 60A to 125A, please. DaveG Home Repair 33 December 3rd 03 03:57 AM