Doug Miller

Default Help finding shaper rub collar 1/4" height

Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and (the
hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why is
it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I have
to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find anybody
with 1/4" height collars.

Grizzly -- 5/16.
Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16.
Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]

Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?

TIA...

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

Doug Miller wrote:

Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and (the
hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why is
it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I have
to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find anybody
with 1/4" height collars.

Grizzly -- 5/16.
Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16.
Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]

Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?

TIA...

No, but I'd go to the local industrial bearing supply or search the
online bearing suppliers. For that thin you may well have to find a
bearing and get the outer diameter by pressing on an outer spacer.
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and (the
hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why is
it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I have
to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find anybody
with 1/4" height collars.

Grizzly -- 5/16.
Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16.
Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]

Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?

TIA...

No, but I'd go to the local industrial bearing supply or search the
online bearing suppliers. For that thin you may well have to find a
bearing and get the outer diameter by pressing on an outer spacer.

You can also look here at Freud's selections

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...b_cllrs_1.html

or look at Amana.

I think, however, it will be hard to find any bearing of 3/4" bore that
is only 1/4" thick.

As for the question of why they don't show thickness on ball bearing
collars, it's because most are intended for above or below pattern
following, not between which is about the only place where the actual
thickness would matter...
Doug Miller

In article , wrote:
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and (the
hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why

is
it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I

have
to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find anybody
with 1/4" height collars.

Grizzly -- 5/16.
Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16.
Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]

Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?

TIA...

No, but I'd go to the local industrial bearing supply or search the
online bearing suppliers. For that thin you may well have to find a
bearing and get the outer diameter by pressing on an outer spacer.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll wind up doing...

You can also look here at Freud's selections

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...cllrs/html/bus
h_rub_cllrs_1.html

I have a flange bushing already... I wanted to replace it with a ball-bearing
rub collar.

or look at Amana.

I think, however, it will be hard to find any bearing of 3/4" bore that
is only 1/4" thick.

As for the question of why they don't show thickness on ball bearing
collars, it's because most are intended for above or below pattern
following, not between which is about the only place where the actual
thickness would matter...

And that, of course, is exactly what I want it for... :-)

--
Regards,

George

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for a shaper ball-bearing rub collar OD 1-7/8", bore 3/4", and
(the
hard part) height 1/4". Looked in all my catalogs at home, and DAGS... why
is
it that *none* of the vendors selling rub collars mention the height? I
have
to pick up the phone and call _every_single_one_ ... and can't find
anybody
with 1/4" height collars.

Grizzly -- 5/16.
Rockler, Woodline, MLCS -- 7/16.
Woodcraft -- dunno; we'll call you back. [still waiting]

Anybody know a vendor selling 1/4" height ball bearing rub collars?

I got mine at Woodcraft, and it's 7/16 also. Pretty much standard.

Can you do with a spacer and rub somewhere else above or below? Most of the
time that's possible.

Duane Bozarth

max wrote:

Why don't you just have a machinist make you one?

Actually, if you note the request (as opposed to the article title)
you'll see he wants a ball bearing to serve, not just a simple rub
collar...

Not many machinists are going to want to make a ball bearing from
scratch and you're not going to want to pay for it if they do...
Doug Miller

In article , "George" George@least wrote:

I got mine at Woodcraft, and it's 7/16 also. Pretty much standard.

Can you do with a spacer and rub somewhere else above or below? Most of the
time that's possible.

Not this time. I want to replace a 1/4" spacer in a cope-and-stile cutter set
with a ball-bearing rub collar. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen, though.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , max wrote:
Why don't you just have a machinist make you one?

Are you volunteering to fund this effort?

max

[...]

The Davenport's

Now, I'm a machinist, and I think I'm a pretty good one and I've made a lot
of off the wall stuff over the years, but I've never seen a shop that was
set up to make bearing sets in any quantity less than a half million at a
time.

That single bearing set, made from scratch and only one or two of them, is
gonna cost in the $2K range.

Mike
"max" wrote in message
[...]

max

I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision bearings that
were the correct size for a spindle. I think they were 3/16 high (thick). I
turned a rub collar for the correct outer diameter and then bored the inside
to fit the bearing. As I remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did
the job.
max

"max" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

max wrote:

I have made these things using a smaller bearing and then either Delron,
aluminum or steel to the required size.
max

But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?
Duane Bozarth

max wrote:

I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision bearings that
were the correct size for a spindle. I think they were 3/16 high (thick). I
turned a rub collar for the correct outer diameter and then bored the inside
to fit the bearing. As I remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did
the job.

If you can find one for Doug that thickness that has a 3/4" bore, I'm
sure he (and several others including me) would be glad to know where
that beastie could be found...

Duane Bozarth

The Davenport's wrote:

Now, I'm a machinist, and I think I'm a pretty good one and I've made a lot
of off the wall stuff over the years, but I've never seen a shop that was
set up to make bearing sets in any quantity less than a half million at a
time.

That single bearing set, made from scratch and only one or two of them, is
gonna cost in the $2K range.

That's all? Man, you work cheap!
Doug Miller

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:

I DAGS and found
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...&n=B539_TH9/C4
(mind the wrap).

Thanks, Morris -- I'll contact the company tomorrow and see if it's suitable
for use in a shaper (10K rpm and lotsa dust and shavings). If so, looks like
it might be just what I need.

Mmmm... just thought of one more thing I'd better check on: the OD of my
spindle. It's nominally 3/4". Unless it's actually a few thou undersize, or
the bearing ID is a few thou oversize, this might turn out to be a press fit.
Not exactly desirable from my POV. :-)

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

Morris Dovey wrote:

Duane Bozarth (in ) said:

| max wrote:
|| I am not suggesting you make the bearing. I had some precision
|| bearings that were the correct size for a spindle. I think they
|| were 3/16 high (thick). I turned a rub collar for the correct
|| outer diameter and then bored the inside to fit the bearing. As I
|| remember the bearings cost $25 each, but they did the job.
|
| If you can find one for Doug that thickness that has a 3/4" bore,
| I'm sure he (and several others including me) would be glad to know
| where that beastie could be found...

I DAGS and found
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...&n=B539_TH9/C4
(mind the wrap).

But notice it's an open bearing which was what I mentioned earlier--by
the time you cut the it down enough to get a 1/4" thickness including
the dust seals, there isn't much room left for ball diameter. I don't
think this would last long for the application of a shaper collar as
there's no way to provide lubrication nor protect it from dust/dirt...
Duane Bozarth

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Morris Dovey" wrote:

I DAGS and found
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...&n=B539_TH9/C4
(mind the wrap).

Thanks, Morris -- I'll contact the company tomorrow and see if it's suitable
for use in a shaper (10K rpm and lotsa dust and shavings). If so, looks like
it might be just what I need.

I don't think so because it's totally unshielded--designed to run in an
oil or grease bath.

Mmmm... just thought of one more thing I'd better check on: the OD of my
spindle. It's nominally 3/4". Unless it's actually a few thou undersize, or
the bearing ID is a few thou oversize, this might turn out to be a press fit.
Not exactly desirable from my POV. :-)

I've not measured the spindles either, but I think they do make them
slightly undersized and cutters, etc., about nominal--but you're right
to measure for sure. Might just want to mic the bore of your
cutters/other spacers, too, just to see what the play actually is.
Ashamed to say it, but after nearly 30 years, I don't know that number.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:57:55 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

max wrote:

I have made these things using a smaller bearing and then either Delron,
aluminum or steel to the required size.
max

But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

max wrote:

I have made these things using a smaller bearing and then either Delron,
aluminum or steel to the required size.
max

But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

That might work -- I tried the order robot to try to price one but it
didn't like my old version of IE....

If someone can follow the link and find out how pricey those are, it
might be interesting....
Doug Miller

wrote:
But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

Don't see anything there with a 1/4" thickness, do you?

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

wrote:
But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

Don't see anything there with a 1/4" thickness, do you?

Actually, it's 1/4" so could be shimmed....

It is, however, a specialty instrumentation bearing which is pretty
light duty rated and I suspect probably pretty pricey (although as noted
in another post my old IE crashed on the attempt to price it).

Actually, it just dawned on me the thickness given is 0.1562" --
5/32"! This thing is really a miniature. You could stack three of
'em! Not a bearing for the purpose, methinks....
Duane Bozarth

wrote:
But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

Don't see anything there with a 1/4" thickness, do you?

Doug, based on what I've seen so far, I'd suggest following the link to
the previous unshielded one and contact them directly to see if they do
have a shielded version.

Also, obviously, go to your local bearing distributorship(s) and see
what they can find.

Doug Miller

In article ,
wrote:
But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

Don't see anything there with a 1/4" thickness, do you?

Actually, it's 1/4" so could be shimmed....

Yeah... a *lot* less. :-(

It is, however, a specialty instrumentation bearing which is pretty
light duty rated

Not likely to hold up under sustained operation at ten thousand rpm...

and I suspect probably pretty pricey (although as noted
in another post my old IE crashed on the attempt to price it).

Actually, it just dawned on me the thickness given is 0.1562" --
5/32"! This thing is really a miniature. You could stack three of
'em! Not a bearing for the purpose, methinks....

:-)

--
Regards,

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:06:42 -0500, Duane Bozarth

wrote:

max wrote:

I have made these things using a smaller bearing and then either Delron,
aluminum or steel to the required size.
max

But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

That might work -- I tried the order robot to try to price one but it
didn't like my old version of IE....

If someone can follow the link and find out how pricey those are, it
might be interesting....

I couldn't get it to work either with an up to date version of
firefox, but I keep most of the scripting stuff turned off. you might
try calling them:
Phone: 888-276-4787 or 516-616-0436

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:35:05 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

wrote:
But where you gonna' find a 3/4" bore, 1/4" thick bearing to start from,
irrespective of OD?

here?
http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/B610HTML/B610P001.html

Don't see anything there with a 1/4" thickness, do you?

Actually, it's 1/4" so could be shimmed....

It is, however, a specialty instrumentation bearing which is pretty
light duty rated and I suspect probably pretty pricey (although as noted
in another post my old IE crashed on the attempt to price it).

Actually, it just dawned on me the thickness given is 0.1562" --
5/32"! This thing is really a miniature. You could stack three of
'em! Not a bearing for the purpose, methinks....

but if you call them up and talk to an actual person, you might find
that they carry other bearings more suitable....