Silvan

Default lathe mounting height...

In tossing around ideas for how I'm going to fit the JET mini into my shop
without getting rid of anything, or inconveniencing myself too terribly,
I've been pondering something.

What if I build a low, heavy, wheeled table about 24" high or thereabouts,
such that I would always have to sit down to use the thing. If I did that,
I could take advantage of wasted space at the center of the shop without
having to go elbow to elbow with it. I would still have to move it around
often, but it would just feel less claustrophobic.

Good idea, bad idea?

I'm not married to the concept if it's a bad idea, so don't try to spare my
feelings. I'm just noodling. I gotta pick a plan soon and build a stand
so I'm ready to take it out and turn something at 12:01 AM on Christmas
morning.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

AHilton

Are you planning to make items other than just pens or other things that all
you have to do is sit right in front of the lathe in one position? If so,
then forget sitting down unless you are forced to.

Wheels aren't a great idea either unless, as above, all you're going to do
is very light duty stuff like pens. Locking wheels are no better. They just
don't work well enough. If you could build a blocking system where you
could wheel it out and then either lift the wheels up or drop a block down
past them then that'll work pretty well though. Unless you're really going
to be moving this thing in/out and quite a distance, then just forgo the
wheels and scoot it instead.

I've used a Workmate type of stand to good effect with my Mini before. I
bolt the Mini to a 2" x 12" pine and then hold that pine with the Workmate
jaws. Quick, easy and portable.

- Andrew

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

Harry B. Pye

What if I build a low, heavy, wheeled table about 24" high or thereabouts,
such that I would always have to sit down to use the thing.

Not a good idea, in my opinion. The idea of sitting and turning is
attractive but doesn't really allow you to use the tools properly. I learned
to start the tool cutting and then move my whole body in the direction of
the cut. Difficult to do when seated. In Dell Stubbs video, Bowl Turning, he
talks about the dance. Later in the video you can see him moving around the
lathe almost like a dancer as he makes his cuts. It seems to work for him
and there is no way that I'd argue turning with him!

Just my two cents,

Harry

Jim M

Only if you are going to make pens or something very very simple will the
seated position work decently. There is a lot of body english used in
woodturning. So I wouldn't recommend a seated position.
If you want your lathe on a cabinet you will have to do some planning. The
first step is finding what positioned height for the lathe will be
comfortable for you to turn at while standing. Most people use their elbow
height as a gauge. Then a little while ago, the new rule of thumb was to put
your hand on the opposing shoulder and measure the height to the v created
at your elbow and put the center height of the spindle at this height. The
taller you are, the more appreciated this understanding will become after a
long day turning. Otherwise if the lathe is low, your back will really be
aching after a turning session. So what you have to do is find out what
position is going to be comfortable for you. Then figure the height of the
lathe from the center of the spindle to its base. Subtract that from your
working height and this is the height you will need for the top of your
cabinet. If you want wheels, subtract from that height, the height of the
wheels and so on....
I do have a cabinet on wheels for my mini lathe. It's designed so if I want
to move it in the shop its movable. If I want to go do a demonstration
somewhere, I can take the whole thing with me. But as Andrew suggested, you
have to be careful with using wheels or casters. I use the heavy duty type
you can buy at Woodcraft or Rockler.
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...BA2FA 253F38D

Even then, my cabinet is heavy, so it has enough weight when the wheels are
locked down to keep the lathe from moving. The lathe and cabinet combined
weigh about 250lbs or more. And when I fill the drawers with turning tools,
chucks, etc it weighs even more. The lathe can be stored down below in the
base of the cabinet for storage or transportation (I have a trailer with a
ramp gate that I use when taking the lathe to another location). There are
four storage drawers, each one is deeper than the one above it so to stow
different items. When the lathe is stowed, then the cabinet is a movable
work bench. A flip up shelf on both sides - one holds my grinder (again for
when I take the lathe to a demonstration), and the other can hold my turning
tools while working.
--Jim

Martin Rost

You don't have to build a stand, at least not yet. I currently have my Jet
sitting on top of my table saw (old cast iron saw) and it is stable. You
can put the Jet on any sturdy surface and start turning. Once you've been
using it for a while, you can plan a stand and design and include what is
important to you.
Martin

Silvan wrote in message
[...]

Barry N. Turner

It may not be a bad idea for you. But, I like to turn standing. I don't
even know if I could turn from a sitting position. It would be terribly
awkward for me. Make sure you try it before you build your table.

Barry

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

Leo Lichtman

Barry N. Turner wrote : in (clip) I don't even know if I could turn from a
sitting position. It would be terribly awkward for me (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
A couple of years ago someone brought this up because of a physical
impairment. He even started a website aimed at helping handicapped people
adapt to turning. I believe one of the suggestions was to tilt the lathe
toward the turner, in order to duplicate the normal relationship a turner
has to the work. Tilting the lathe toward the turner is a lot like leaning
over the work.

All of this suggests to me that if you have your choice, it is easier and
better to stand up.

Glynda Moon

Silvan,
As a wheel chair turner, I can tell you that the Jet Mini is NOT a good
candidate for seated turning. If you look at the Jet (and Delta Midi and
Mercury Mini), with their motor mounted below the spindle, by the time you
put a stable platform under it at 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, then set this all
in your lap, you'll see that the spindle centerline is WAY too high to turn
and try to maintain tool control. The previously mentioned technique of
tilting the machine forward is a possibility, but that would create a
problem with establishing a way to position your tool rest, since the ways
would be out of reach in the tilted position. Actually, the big Jet 1236 is
better for seated work, since the distance from the base to spindle distance
is actually shorter than on the Mini. That's why I'm using the 1236 instead
of the Mini.
Just something to think about from someone who has alr4eady worked through
the same problem.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce

Evenin':

I have a VERY small shop 9' by 10'. You can see pictures of it at
www.Spaltedboard.com. I call it The Cript. I use a Jet Mini and have
had no trouble.

When I am going to use it, I simply place dogs in the correct holes on
my work bench, place the lathe up against them and it stays put. Since
I'm 6'3" tall, I had to raise the height of my Work bench , for my
back, and the lathe ends up at the right height for me, too.

When I'm done, which isn't very often, I put the lathe back on the
shelf.

The Other Bruce

Silvan wrote in message ...
In tossing around ideas for how I'm going to fit the JET mini into my shop
without getting rid of anything, or inconveniencing myself too terribly,
I've been pondering something.

What if I build a low, heavy, wheeled table about 24" high or thereabouts,
such that I would always have to sit down to use the thing. If I did that,
I could take advantage of wasted space at the center of the shop without
having to go elbow to elbow with it. I would still have to move it around
often, but it would just feel less claustrophobic.

Good idea, bad idea?

I'm not married to the concept if it's a bad idea, so don't try to spare my
feelings. I'm just noodling. I gotta pick a plan soon and build a stand
so I'm ready to take it out and turn something at 12:01 AM on Christmas
morning.

Leo Lichtman

Bruce wrote: (clip) When I'm done, which isn't very often, I put the lathe
back on the shelf.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
When I first started turning, I was using a HF knockoff of the Sears
monotube. I used it on top of our washing machine, bcause of lack of space
to put it anywhere else. When we had to do laundry, I hoisted in up to the
rafters using a block and tackle, and tied it off. I still have a couple
of 5 gal. buckets hanging from pulleys on the rafters, with various supplies
in them. My scroll saw is also hanging up there, and I lower it to the top
of the washing machine on those rare occasions when I have to use it.

There's lots of room up there--why not use it?

Silvan

AHilton wrote:

Are you planning to make items other than just pens or other things that
all you have to do is sit right in front of the lathe in one position? If

so, then forget sitting down unless you are forced to.

At this time, my primary interest lies with making very small detail parts
for wooden models, and eventually turning out chess sets. Maybe some
candlestick holders or something. I'm not planning any big work. OTOH,
I'm a virgin turner, so once I get hooked I might change views radically.

Wheels aren't a great idea either unless, as above, all you're going to do
is very light duty stuff like pens. Locking wheels are no better. They

No hard and fast ideas, but I'm envisioning some kind of stout, crank-down
feet that would get the wheels solidly off the floor.

going to be moving this thing in/out and quite a distance, then just forgo
the wheels and scoot it instead.

Too hard to scoot something that heavy. No two floorboards in my shop are
in the same plane, and it's covered with cheesy green astroturf. I'm going
to rip out the floor soon and do something else, but that's a project for
spring.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Leo Lichtman wrote:

There's lots of room up there--why not use it?

'Cause in my shop I have 6' ceilings, and I'd rather stub my toe on the
lathe than crack my head on it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Martin Rost wrote:

You don't have to build a stand, at least not yet. I currently have my
Jet
sitting on top of my table saw (old cast iron saw) and it is stable. You
can put the Jet on any sturdy surface and start turning. Once you've been
using it for a while, you can plan a stand and design and include what is
important to you.

Fair enough, but the big problem is finding a sturdy surface that I don't
need to use for a bit. My router table would be ideal, but it's too small.
Everything else gets used too often.

I can always put it on the workbench if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather
knock out a stand that ultimately proves unsuitable and recycle it later
(the wood I have earmarked for this is free, ugly, and has been in my way
for years, so I don't mind using it) than I would lift that thing up and
down constantly. I can handle the weight, but it's awkward, and my back
ain't what it used to be.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Well, thanks to all. Sounds like the short stand was a bad plan. I think
I'll build a minimum-sized full-height stand using the suggested sizing
considerations and then figure out what to do about it when I eventually
need to use something behind it.

This will probably discourage me from ever using my router again, so when I
get rid of the router I can move the lathe up against the wall, and then I
can get a bandsaw and scratch my head trying to figure out how to get
_that_ into my shop.

Having a 10x12 shop sucks sometimes, but it's sure a lot better than
nothing!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

George

Mike, you might consider a method I use in my small shop. I have my router
"table" stored under another tool which needs elevation. It can be brought
out as needed and clamped into my workmate. In your case, you might
consider a "cabinet" big enough to store your lathe, already mounted on a
board which can be clamped onto the top of the cabinet with the router setup
below. Might even concede a bit of the ideal height for the router table
and make it 35 inches or so, with the dados cut so you can slide your lathe
shelf below, with the head and tailstocks straddling your router. That
would bring the whole up to your elbow. A sneaky guy would mount the lathe
forward, with tool storage boxes behind. Slide the lathe forward, remove
the boxes to save your back, and have at it.

If you get the non-enclosed base with your bandsaw, your lathe will fit on
the shelf below.

"Silvan" wrote in message
Well, thanks to all. Sounds like the short stand was a bad plan. I think
I'll build a minimum-sized full-height stand using the suggested sizing
considerations and then figure out what to do about it when I eventually
need to use something behind it.

This will probably discourage me from ever using my router again, so when

get rid of the router I can move the lathe up against the wall, and then I
can get a bandsaw and scratch my head trying to figure out how to get
_that_ into my shop.

Having a 10x12 shop sucks sometimes, but it's sure a lot better than
nothing!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Arch

Hi Mike, The woodturning habit has a very sudden onset and is hard to
cure. Quicker than you think your lathe will be the centerpiece of your
shop, and you will soon be moving your other machines. It will be
surrounded by a dedicated sharpening station, a table & holder for tools
and accessories, a special dust control system and by you 24/7. You may
as well hum to the tune about Tipperary: "goodbye" to router bits &
carving tools, "hello" to skews & chucks. It's a long long way to
general woodworking, but you came from there! Congrats

IOW, don't compromise your turning set- up. I think it's best to have a
higher bench and adjust the platform you stand on for your comfort.
Arch

Fortiter,