AHilton

Default lathe mounting height...

Are you planning to make items other than just pens or other things that all
you have to do is sit right in front of the lathe in one position? If so,
then forget sitting down unless you are forced to.

Wheels aren't a great idea either unless, as above, all you're going to do
is very light duty stuff like pens. Locking wheels are no better. They just
don't work well enough. If you could build a blocking system where you
could wheel it out and then either lift the wheels up or drop a block down
past them then that'll work pretty well though. Unless you're really going
to be moving this thing in/out and quite a distance, then just forgo the
wheels and scoot it instead.

I've used a Workmate type of stand to good effect with my Mini before. I
bolt the Mini to a 2" x 12" pine and then hold that pine with the Workmate
jaws. Quick, easy and portable.

- Andrew

"Silvan" wrote in message
In tossing around ideas for how I'm going to fit the JET mini into my shop
without getting rid of anything, or inconveniencing myself too terribly,
I've been pondering something.

What if I build a low, heavy, wheeled table about 24" high or thereabouts,
such that I would always have to sit down to use the thing. If I did

that,
I could take advantage of wasted space at the center of the shop without
having to go elbow to elbow with it. I would still have to move it around
often, but it would just feel less claustrophobic.

Good idea, bad idea?

I'm not married to the concept if it's a bad idea, so don't try to spare

my
feelings. I'm just noodling. I gotta pick a plan soon and build a stand
so I'm ready to take it out and turn something at 12:01 AM on Christmas
morning.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/