Vic Baron

Default Face Frames

Any reason why I should not just glue my faceframe to the carcase? The glue
surface will be 2" frame on a 1.5" edge. Don't want to nail, kreg or screw
it and I'm wondering whether biscuits or dowels would be all that much
stronger than the main glue joint itself. Don't see doing extra work if it's
not necessary.

Opinions?

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

tom

Hardly any reason at all. A few biscuits or dowels might make it easier
to align, though. I must be one of the "0" people, as I don't
understand binary. Tom

Vic Baron

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hardly any reason at all. A few biscuits or dowels might make it easier
to align, though. I must be one of the "0" people, as I don't
understand binary. Tom

lol!

Thanx for the confirmation Tom. Alignment won't be a problem so I'll stay
with just the glue.

Thanx a 11110100001001000000,

Vic

Doug Miller

In article , "Vic Baron" wrote:
Any reason why I should not just glue my faceframe to the carcase? The glue
surface will be 2" frame on a 1.5" edge. Don't want to nail, kreg or screw
it and I'm wondering whether biscuits or dowels would be all that much
stronger than the main glue joint itself. Don't see doing extra work if it's
not necessary.

That's what I did when I made my kitchen cabinets. Of course, I did a test
piece first: glued a piece of scrap cherry to the edge of a scrap of panel
(basic melamine PCB from the Borg), let it cure 24 hrs, then bashed it with a
hammer. The wood failed, not the glue joint.

--
Regards,

Vic Baron

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article , "Vic Baron"
wrote:
Any reason why I should not just glue my faceframe to the carcase? The
glue
surface will be 2" frame on a 1.5" edge. Don't want to nail, kreg or screw
it and I'm wondering whether biscuits or dowels would be all that much
stronger than the main glue joint itself. Don't see doing extra work if
it's
not necessary.

That's what I did when I made my kitchen cabinets. Of course, I did a test
piece first: glued a piece of scrap cherry to the edge of a scrap of panel
(basic melamine PCB from the Borg), let it cure 24 hrs, then bashed it
with a
hammer. The wood failed, not the glue joint.

--
Regards,

Agreed, Doug. I spent my early years in the aerospace industry. Got a good
first hand look at how something could be overengineered to death. As I get
older, I seek the best bang for my energy buck. I *could* put a counter sunk
screw every 6 inches of the face frame. I'm sure it would hold fine 0 but I
can't envision ANY circumstance when I might need such strength.

Just finished putting on the face frame - looks good and I'm sure it ill
hold fine.

Vic