arw01

Default recommended low voltage lights for curio cabinet

After wandering the Borgs, and checking out Lee Valley, I've not yet
found a good source for low voltage cabinet lighting in a curio I am
making.

The cabinet is cherry about 4 feet high and 5 feet wide which I figure
will need 3 lights mounted in the top. So far I've only found halogen
in 120volt at the Borgs and a regular bulb 40watt 120volt at Lee
Valley.

Over time the low voltage will pay for itself vs 120, more likely to be
enjoyed, environmentally more responsible, and the bulbs tend to be a
whole lot less expensive.

Thanks
Alan

Patriarch

"arw01" wrote in
oups.com:

After wandering the Borgs, and checking out Lee Valley, I've not yet
found a good source for low voltage cabinet lighting in a curio I am
making.

The cabinet is cherry about 4 feet high and 5 feet wide which I figure
will need 3 lights mounted in the top. So far I've only found halogen
in 120volt at the Borgs and a regular bulb 40watt 120volt at Lee
Valley.

Over time the low voltage will pay for itself vs 120, more likely to be
enjoyed, environmentally more responsible, and the bulbs tend to be a
whole lot less expensive.

Thanks
Alan

These were recommended to me, by a woodworker who has used them. I have no
personal experience with them yet, however.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Patriarch
John Flatley

"arw01" wrote in message
oups.com...
After wandering the Borgs, and checking out Lee Valley, I've not yet
found a good source for low voltage cabinet lighting in a curio I am
making.

The cabinet is cherry about 4 feet high and 5 feet wide which I figure
will need 3 lights mounted in the top. So far I've only found halogen
in 120volt at the Borgs and a regular bulb 40watt 120volt at Lee
Valley.

Over time the low voltage will pay for itself vs 120, more likely to be
enjoyed, environmentally more responsible, and the bulbs tend to be a
whole lot less expensive.

Thanks
Alan

Alan,

Check the current Rockler catalog or www.rockler.com for the Xenon cabinet
lights. A lot less heat than Halogen lights. A lot less!

You can also consider the decorative lighting strips in the same catalog.

Standard disclaimer - no association or affilation.

Jack

Robatoy

In article .com,
"arw01" wrote:

After wandering the Borgs, and checking out Lee Valley, I've not yet
found a good source for low voltage cabinet lighting in a curio I am
making.

The cabinet is cherry about 4 feet high and 5 feet wide which I figure
will need 3 lights mounted in the top. So far I've only found halogen
in 120volt at the Borgs and a regular bulb 40watt 120volt at Lee
Valley.

Over time the low voltage will pay for itself vs 120, more likely to be
enjoyed, environmentally more responsible, and the bulbs tend to be a
whole lot less expensive.

Thanks
Alan

The other fellows are right. Xenon are the way to go. I have now seen
dozens of installations and I really like the colour of the light.
Warmer than halogen, but cooler running than halogen (temperature). I
have been told that they are a great deal more durable as well. The
increase in initial cost isn't enough to matter.
Upscale

"arw01" wrote in message
oups.com...
The cabinet is cherry about 4 feet high and 5 feet wide which I figure
will need 3 lights mounted in the top. So far I've only found halogen
in 120volt at the Borgs and a regular bulb 40watt 120volt at Lee
Valley.

You didn't search properly on the Lee Valley website. They also have 12v, 20
watt pot lights.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...00&cat=3,43629