webfeet

Default How to fit Drawers?

I am making two Maple dressers. I have the carcasses finished; however,
I am getting ready to make the drawers. I will be making the drawer
fronts out of Walnut with the back and sides made from Brown Maple. The
front and back will be attached using a through dovetail. To achieve
this I bought the Leigh dovetail jig. I have read quite a bit about
making the drawers. I have also used the Leigh jig once and ended up
with pretty good results for my first attempt - good for a first time
but not good enough for the dresser.

My question! I am looking for suggestions from people who have made or
make drawers. How do I fit these things? I have read that I can fit the
drawer width pretty close to the opening; however the height of the
drawer needs to have a gap to allow for the expansion. I am also
attaching to the bottom of the drawers hardware to allow for smooth
action (brought these from Lee Valley's).

Doug Payne

Measure diameters of left leg, right leg, waist; size accordingly :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist).
Leon

"webfeet" wrote in message
ups.com...

My question! I am looking for suggestions from people who have made or
make drawers. How do I fit these things? I have read that I can fit the
drawer width pretty close to the opening; however the height of the
drawer needs to have a gap to allow for the expansion. I am also
attaching to the bottom of the drawers hardware to allow for smooth
action (brought these from Lee Valley's).

I try to make the drawers 1/16" total narrower and 1/8" shorter than the
opening.
If your drawers are hard wood and the dresser opening where the drawers
slide is hard wood may I suyggest no hardware slides at all provided you
have web frames to support the drawers. While soft wood in this situation
tends to feel draggy, hardwood with a bit of wax or Silicone AFTER ALL
FINISHING IS COMPLETED will yield a drawer that slides as smoothly as one
mounted with hardware.

mac davis

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:38:41 -0400, Doug Payne wrote:

Measure diameters of left leg, right leg, waist; size accordingly :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

and which side he dresses to???

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Help with MFI/schreiber bedroom chest of drawers Mark UK diy 6 July 1st 05 09:09 AM
Kitchen drawers 100Grit Woodworking 2 January 26th 05 12:36 AM
Wanna see my Drawers? (w/pics!) David F. Eisan Woodworking 3 November 17th 04 12:32 PM
Inset doors & drawers for first-time cabinet builder? Chip Olson Woodworking 1 June 5th 04 01:04 PM
Making drawers David UK diy 3 September 12th 03 11:38 AM