Russell Bennight

Default Need advice

I got this email from a friend. I don't have any experience but thought
someone here might know some tricks..

We had a bag of stuff sitting on our kitchen table and something leaked and
appears to have soaked the ink off the label onto the table. I didn't know
if you knew any tricks. We are going to try a commercial ink remover but
failing that the only thing I know to do is sand the whole table and
restain/seal it. Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
Russell

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Russell Bennight wrote:
I got this email from a friend. I don't have any experience but thought
someone here might know some tricks..

We had a bag of stuff sitting on our kitchen table and something leaked and
appears to have soaked the ink off the label onto the table. I didn't know
if you knew any tricks. We are going to try a commercial ink remover but
failing that the only thing I know to do is sand the whole table and
restain/seal it. Any other ideas?

Many thanks,
Russell

One "obvious" comment -- 'whatever it was' that leaked is proven to
dissolve the ink in question. thus it _should_ be usable to take the
ink up _from_ the table.

That aside, a great deal depends on _what_ the pre-existing finish on
the table is. The trick is finding something that will dissolve the ink,
*without* dissolving whatever the finish is.

Without knowing what the finish is, and what type of ink is involved,
any specific product mentions are just a 'wild guess'. Be *sure* to
test anything on an 'inconspicuous' finished area _first_, to make sure
that it doesn't damage the finish. *then* see if it will take up the ink.

a partial list of things to try includes:
soap (e.g. Ivory, Dial, etc.) and water
dish detergent (e.g. Palmolive) and water
alcohol (If you don't have isopropyl on hand, cheap vodka can be used
ammonia
"Simple Green"
a citric-based cleaner -- e.g. "Orange Clean"
"Oxy-Clean"
"Goop"

Andy

I'd try alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl rubbing) or acetone (nail-polish
remover) but be sure to test them on the table's finish first - alcohol
will soften/remove shellac, for instance, but tabletops probably
shouldn't be finished in shellac to begin with.
Good luck,
Andy

BillyBob

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd try alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl rubbing) or acetone (nail-polish
remover) but be sure to test them on the table's finish first - alcohol
will soften/remove shellac, for instance, but tabletops probably
shouldn't be finished in shellac to begin with.

Acetone is much more likely to pull up stuff with it. I'd be very careful
with it.

Bob

Joe AutoDrill

"D Steck" wrote in message
As weird as this may sound, if the ink hasn't soaked into the pores of the
wood, try hairspray. It's an amazing ink remover and not hard on
finishes.

Hair spray works because it usually has alchohol in it. You could try
rubbing alchohol, but bve careful of clouding and try someplace not viseable
first.

Acetone, gasoline and bleach all come to mind as well... Then again, so
does fire, but you want to keep the table, right?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013-R

It would be a big help if you could identify what leaked .

I would start with a wet paper towel and see if any of the ink comes
up. It may take several applications.

If that does not work move up to the vinegar, alcohol, acetone etc
cleaners.

Try each with a cotton bud to test the stability of the finish.