Steve

Default Book suggestions for newbie

This all started with an interest in making a small wine rack but I
realized there are many possible projects I could tackle if I
developed some basic skills. I have a few hand and power tools but
not much skill at using them. I found lots of ebooks in groups but
most are beyond my baby steps. A book I found in the library,
"Basic Woodworking" by Sunset Books, is what I have in mind but it
is out of print. I'd like have something on the bench when there is
a free moment that I could learn to use tools, make jigs, and
tackle projects. Any suggestions about something similar that is
available currently? Many thanks.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 3
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

-----------------
-----------------
Andy

No single book will have everything, but one I found very helpful as an
introduction is "The Complete Book of Woodworking: Detailed Plans for
More Than 40 Fabulous Projects" (Amazon link below)
It has a very basic introduction to various types of wood, tools,
methods, joints, finishing, etc, along with several (probably 40, I
guess, but I haven't counted...) projects with lots of pictures.
Remember you don't have to do things exactly as they do them in a book
- you can do a lot with just hand tools or a handheld circular saw.
Also, I would suggest going to a local Barnes and Noble, Borders, or
public library and perusing their woodworking books.
One tool I would recommend getting before you start is a good
combination square (really nice ones are $50-100, and worth it if
you're going to continue with this hobby).
Good luck and have fun,
Andy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846