Niel

Default How to get rid of loud shop vac whistle??

Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel
BobS

Only way you're going to get rid of it is probably by investing in a new
shop cleaner. You can cut it down a bit by getting one of the Rigid shop
mufflers but hardly the worth it.

There are always the ear protectors you can wear........but look here
first......

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...ews/index.html

Bob S.

"Niel" wrote in message
Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel

Kenneth

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:14:27 -0400,
wrote:

Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel

Howdy,

Are you wearing good hearing protection?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:14:27 -0400, wrote:

Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel

WHAT????
Saudade

Niel wrote:
Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel

How big is your shop vac? Is it a true Shop-Vac brand or another?

RonB

Is it a shrill whistle in a frequency range that hurts you hair? I have
found one of two causes:

1) a small piece of thin wood lodged in the hose that must vibrate or
otherwise cause the sound.

2) a small hole or gap between the hose and the end fitting.

Wiggle your hose around to see if you can dislodge something. You might
also try pusing a smaller hose, like a garden hose through the vacuum hose.

RonB

Last time I "pused" a small hose, I was in a hospital bed after
surgery.

Bob

Andy

I have one of the Ridgid mufflers, and it helps a little. I always
wear hearing protection. I've found that strapping a piece of open
cell foam over the top of the motor quiets the whine a little, and
keeps the exhaust fan from blowing more dust into my face. It's thin
enough and porous enough that it doesn't overheat the motor, even when
run for extended time periods.
I've heard of some people building a box for their shopvac out of thin
plywood or hardboard, or even pegboard for more ventilation.
Supposedly this helps a lot with noise. I'd guess that enclosing the
shopvac in a cardboard box would help, if it was exactly the right size
and the wheels could stick through the bottom. Probably wouldn't last
very long, though.
Good luck,
Andy

JGS

The whistle. Is it there without the hose attached? While make dust
collection collars for some routers I found that if the flow was
restricted too much, a very high pitch whistle resulted. As another said
, make sure the hose is clean. JG

Niel wrote:

Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel

Niel

Wow!!

I'm impressed with all the great responses!! Got a good laugh with the
humor from some.
I do wear good hearing protection in the shop. Still want to get rid
of the whistle. My wife can hear it upstairs. I will take all the
suggestions seriously and am greatly appreciative of the generous

I will clear the hoses and also check for the whistle with hose
unattached.
Niel

Niel wrote:

Appreciate the assistance in advance.
Niel

Kenneth

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:01:18 -0400,
wrote:

I do wear good hearing protection in the shop. Still want to get rid
of the whistle. My wife can hear it upstairs.

Howdy,

I was one of those commenting on the hearing protection.

It is now clear that you need two pair of such... g

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Mike in Arkansas

Absolutly hands down best method of removing loud shop vac and all
other high pitch and most low pitch noises is to contract Rubella as a
child and slowly loose you hearing over the decades so that by the time
you have an interest in woodworking, all the racket everyone else
complains about is not noticable. Every cloud

Niel

Thanks for the laugh!!!
The two pairs would have to be for me. My wife wouldn't wear hearing
protection. She uses a loud vacuum cleaner and in spite of my
suggestion to protect her ears, she won't do so.
Niel

wrote:

I do wear good hearing protection in the shop. Still want to get rid
of the whistle. My wife can hear it upstairs.

Howdy,

I was one of those commenting on the hearing protection.

It is now clear that you need two pair of such... g

All the best,

Niel

Andy,
Thanks for the great details!! I'll shortly get back in the shop and
use some of your suggestions.
Niel