D Jordahl

Default Sander

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ
jo4hn

D Jordahl wrote:
I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

I've had the PC for a few years now. Does a good job, the dust
collection is probably as good as anyone's, and disks are available from
lots of places. Goferit.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Paul Rand

Had the Yellow Decker and it crapped out on me in a few months. Get the PC.

Robatoy

In article ,
D Jordahl wrote:

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

Festool Rotex 150. Excellent dust control. Pricey.
6" Ridgid (really a Metabo, German made) a lot of bang for the buck.
I have owned 2 6" Porter Cable ROS's.. one a VS and a regular one. Can't
kill 'm since 1986. Almost daily usage. (Brushes and a cpl of
bearings...peanuts.)
Chris

"D Jordahl" wrote in message

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

Do not rule out the Rigid. I just went through the same purchase. Took a
look at all of them and decided on the Rigid as it drew more amps.
My first Rigid tool, and to be honest, I am surprisingly impressed. Nice
long cord, good dust collection, good power, nice case with plenty of
storage.

I really do think that whomever designed this, actually put some real
thought and research into the sander.

Case in point, they actually put a picture of a sander on the side of the
case, as to be able to ID the case as it sits on the shelf. All of the
other cases I have I label them as to the contents for easy selection.
Dewalt has the model number on the side of the case, but that does me no
good.

Even has a picture on the lighted plug. At first I thought it was silly,
but the picture really helps when you start cleaning up and have 4 plugs
coming out of your outlet.

Small things, but impressive along with the plenty of power and good dust.
Only wish I could say good things with the wealth of Norton discs I
purchased along with the sander. I think they are designed to clog only
after a couple of minutes.

Again it really does seem like a tool that a user designed.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Chris

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
D Jordahl wrote:

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

Festool Rotex 150. Excellent dust control. Pricey.
6" Ridgid (really a Metabo, German made) a lot of bang for the buck.
I have owned 2 6" Porter Cable ROS's.. one a VS and a regular one. Can't
kill 'm since 1986. Almost daily usage. (Brushes and a cpl of
bearings...peanuts.)

Rigid orbital sander made in Germany? That would probably explain my post
above.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Robatoy wrote:
6" Ridgid (really a Metabo, German made) a lot of bang for the buck.
I have owned 2 6" Porter Cable ROS's.. one a VS and a regular one. Can't
kill 'm since 1986. Almost daily usage. (Brushes and a cpl of
bearings...peanuts.)

I bought the Ridgid last year after one of the magazines rated it a Best Buy.
It's a fine sander, as as you pointed out, it really is a Metabo. I'd buy it
again. In fact I did... for my brother's birthday.

For the rest of you: please note neither Robotoy nor I misspelled the brand
name. Look at the name the next time you're in Home Depot and you'll see....
Hopefully you won't find too many rigid tools there. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Chris

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
Robatoy wrote:
6" Ridgid (really a Metabo, German made) a lot of bang for the buck.
I have owned 2 6" Porter Cable ROS's.. one a VS and a regular one. Can't
kill 'm since 1986. Almost daily usage. (Brushes and a cpl of
bearings...peanuts.)

I bought the Ridgid last year after one of the magazines rated it a Best
Buy. It's a fine sander, as as you pointed out, it really is a Metabo.
I'd buy it again. In fact I did... for my brother's birthday.

For the rest of you: please note neither Robotoy nor I misspelled the
brand name. Look at the name the next time you're in Home Depot and
you'll see.... Hopefully you won't find too many rigid tools there. G

OPPS!

Wondering if I can blame the misspelling on the spell checker???
Darn it, I cannot. I did mention it was my first Ridgid, so give me some
slack. LOL

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Duane Bozarth

D Jordahl wrote:

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

It's probably the best of the litter listed. Unless you plan on using
it for only short periods at a time, I'd suggest taking it apart and
removing the friction belt that they added to stop the thing. It's
nothing but a heater (actually an o-ring around a solid pin).
Robatoy

In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Hopefully you won't find too many rigid tools there. G

.... and if you do... do NOT pick up that dollar bill..it's an old trick.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Hopefully you won't find too many rigid tools there. G

... and if you do... do NOT pick up that dollar bill..it's an old trick.

But for a twenty, I may take a chance.

Robatoy

In article , "Chris"
wrote:

Rigid orbital sander made in Germany? That would probably explain my post
above

http://tinyurl.com/c7j4s

All parts interchange with the Metabo/Ridgid. No shortcuts, like
bushings instead of bearings...just an orange jacket..thatsit.
That Ridgid is a LOT of sander. The two modes are very useful once you
get a feel for when to use which one.
Robatoy

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Hopefully you won't find too many rigid tools there. G

... and if you do... do NOT pick up that dollar bill..it's an old trick.

But for a twenty, I may take a chance.

I might give it a try for a fiver...providing I was wearing my
lederhosen.
RayV

I have the DW VS and am very happy with it.

I would choose this way:

Narrow it down to hook & loop
Narrrow it further by only those with VS
Pay attention to the DC connection-(some are oval and require an
expensive adapter for your vac)
Make sure the hole pattern is standard-(you don't want to be stuck with
something you can't get sheets for)
Pick the one that feels right when you pick it up

Edwin Pawlowski

"D Jordahl" wrote in message

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

Flip a coin

I have at DW and PC and rate them about hte same. The DW feels a tab more
comfy in my hand, but it may not of ryou.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"D Jordahl" wrote in message

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

Flip a coin

I have at DW and PC and rate them about hte same. The DW feels a tab more
comfy in my hand, but it may not of ryou.

I'll second that--"the not for you" part, that is...

Shows ta' go ya' everybody has different feel. I think the DW is
moderately uncomfortable and the PC better...
blueman

Robatoy writes:
In article ,
D Jordahl wrote:

I'm planning on getting a random orbit sander, and have looked at PC,
DeWalt and Bosch. All similar in price (at HD); the PC is actually
cheaper and has a little higher amperage. Any opinions?
DJ

Festool Rotex 150. Excellent dust control. Pricey.
6" Ridgid (really a Metabo, German made) a lot of bang for the buck.
I have owned 2 6" Porter Cable ROS's.. one a VS and a regular one. Can't
kill 'm since 1986. Almost daily usage. (Brushes and a cpl of
bearings...peanuts.)

I bought the 5" Ridgid at the Orange Borg for about $69 (half the
price of the 6"). The 5" also got excellent reviews and was rated as a
best buy. So far, I have had good luck with it.
Tom Banes

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:44:49 GMT, blueman wrote:
I bought the 5" Ridgid at the Orange Borg for about $69 (half the
price of the 6"). The 5" also got excellent reviews and was rated as a
best buy. So far, I have had good luck with it.

Ditto - like the feel, like the price and it does its job.

O D

So your going from a yellow decker to a gray decker?????