PK

Default Titanium Coated Table Saw Blades

So, I read a review in one of the woodworking mags, they like Ti
coated blads - longer life, smoother cuts. I saw 10" blades at the
orange BORG (being a spacecase, I can't remember the brand - a little
help, foks?), and thought the price wasn't horrible. Has anyone any
experience with them? How do they compare to Freud or Forrest?
PK
PK

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:58:36 -0500, PK wrote:

So, I read a review in one of the woodworking mags, they like Ti
coated blads - longer life, smoother cuts. I saw 10" blades at the
orange BORG (being a spacecase, I can't remember the brand - a little
help, foks?), and thought the price wasn't horrible. Has anyone any
experience with them? How do they compare to Freud or Forrest?
PK

They're from Rigid - just made the (near-) daily trip.
PK
BillyBob

"PK" wrote in message
So, I read a review in one of the woodworking mags, they like Ti
coated blads - longer life, smoother cuts. I saw 10" blades at the
orange BORG (being a spacecase, I can't remember the brand - a little
help, foks?), and thought the price wasn't horrible. Has anyone any
experience with them? How do they compare to Freud or Forrest?

I doubt they are in the same league as Forrest, but I don't have any facts
to back that up - I just know how Forrest performs and lasts.

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"BillyBob" wrote in message

but I don't have any facts
to back that up -

And we appreciate your honesty.

titantium on woodworking tooling is mostly a gimmick. on metalworking
stuff it serves a purpose, though.

BillyBob

wrote in message
ups.com...
titantium on woodworking tooling is mostly a gimmick. on metalworking
stuff it serves a purpose, though.

I've always wondered why it seems to appear on low priced non-brand name
cutting things. I guess because it gives that nice "fool's gold"
appearance.

Bob

CW

I use coated cutting tools daily, on things that do matter. The usefulness
of this coating drops off to being insignificant on materials as soft as
hardened aluminum. On wood, it would make no difference. You are right, the
reason for it showing up on so many cheap cutting tools is marketing, as it
looks high tech and is very cheap to apply.

"BillyBob" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
titantium on woodworking tooling is mostly a gimmick. on metalworking
stuff it serves a purpose, though.

I've always wondered why it seems to appear on low priced non-brand name
cutting things. I guess because it gives that nice "fool's gold"
appearance.

Bob

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:58:36 -0500, PK wrote:

So, I read a review in one of the woodworking mags, they like Ti
coated blads

Why, and which mag so that we can ignore any more rubbish they spout.

A TiN coating on a woodworking blade is pointless. Although some TiN
coatings are useful, these aren't the coatings you see at the Borg. In
general these days, gold coloured coating means cheap rubbish and run
away from it.

There are lots of important things that make a good sawblade work better
than a cheapie. TiN coating isn't one of them.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

A TiN coating on a woodworking blade is pointless.

I have to disagree. With the TiN coating, the sawdust is given a positive
ionic charge so when they pass through the dust collection piping it will
reduce the likelihood of an explosion. It is also important to keep the
coating clean; wipe it down with acetone weekly. Just don't get the acetone
on your hands or you will get zits on your ass.

jo4hn

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

A TiN coating on a woodworking blade is pointless.

I have to disagree. With the TiN coating, the sawdust is given a positive
ionic charge so when they pass through the dust collection piping it will
reduce the likelihood of an explosion. It is also important to keep the
coating clean; wipe it down with acetone weekly. Just don't get the acetone
on your hands or you will get zits on your ass.

LOL. You're a class guy. But the proper phrase is "positive iconic
charge".
zonk,
jo4hn

George E. Cawthon

jo4hn wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

A TiN coating on a woodworking blade is pointless.

I have to disagree. With the TiN coating, the sawdust is given a
positive ionic charge so when they pass through the dust collection
piping it will reduce the likelihood of an explosion. It is also
important to keep the coating clean; wipe it down with acetone
weekly. Just don't get the acetone on your hands or you will get zits
on your ass.

LOL. You're a class guy. But the proper phrase is "positive iconic
charge".
zonk,
jo4hn

Does that mean you will be able to see little plus
signs floating in the air?
Andy Dingley

wrote:

With the TiN coating, the sawdust is given a positive
ionic charge so when they pass through the dust collection piping it will
reduce the likelihood of an explosion.

Surely it's easier to just screw an earth wire to the sawblade ?

Some sawblades have little copper slugs set into their anti-vibration
slots. Not many people realise these are actually soldering points for
the earth wires.

Bruce Barnett

"George E. Cawthon" writes:

LOL. You're a class guy. But the proper phrase is "positive iconic
charge".
zonk,
jo4hn

Does that mean you will be able to see little plus signs floating in
the air?

No. Icons are religious symbols. So it should be churches, Star of David, etc.

Dan

On Sun 11 Sep 2005 06:52:26p, Andy Dingley
wrote in :
Some sawblades have little copper slugs set into their anti-vibration
slots. Not many people realise these are actually soldering points for
the earth wires.

Now just how are you going to feel when that post about "Not wanting to
cause an explosion, I put that earth wire on my blade and turned it on, and
when I woke up..." comes in.

Hmmm?

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:43:53 GMT, Dan wrote:

Now just how are you going to feel

Culling.