Nehmo

Default Grout Line Width?

In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines more prone
to crack if they are wide?

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

G Henslee

Nehmo wrote:
In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines more prone
to crack if they are wide?

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

Depends upon what grout you use in conjuction with the width of the
joint, as well as various other structural and substrate criteria...
clintonG

Grout requires the use of water to form a bond and water is of course H2O.
It is the presence of hydrogen that functions as the catalyst for the
chemical reaction the forms the bond. Too much water; cracked grout. Too
little water; cracked grout. Too wide of a grout line; cracked grout.
Control of the hydrogen bonding process is easily compromised.

It helps to go to college and learn physics but it can be much less
expensive if you simply read and follow the manufacturer's specifications
and use the grout recommended for your design requirements.

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Nehmo wrote:
In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines more prone
to crack if they are wide?

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

Depends upon what grout you use in conjuction with the width of the joint,
as well as various other structural and substrate criteria...

Zigler

It helps to go to college and learn physics but it can be much less
expensive if you simply read and follow the manufacturer's specifications
and use the grout recommended for your design requirements.

Nice answer, dip****.

Zig

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:38:04 GMT, "clintonG"
wrote:

Grout requires the use of water to form a bond and water is of course H2O.
It is the presence of hydrogen that functions as the catalyst for the
chemical reaction the forms the bond. Too much water; cracked grout. Too
little water; cracked grout. Too wide of a grout line; cracked grout.
Control of the hydrogen bonding process is easily compromised.

It helps to go to college and learn physics but it can be much less
expensive if you simply read and follow the manufacturer's specifications
and use the grout recommended for your design requirements.

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

Jody

Nehmo wrote:
In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines more prone
to crack if they are wide?

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

In short yes. Just like all cement products. Unsanded is good for up to
about 1/8" anything bigger you need sanded. The more water that's mixed
will cause it to shrink more just like cement. Most of the better grout
is a latex fortified. If not, latex can be added to reduce the amount of
water needed. The spacing is really about aesthetics. The smaller the
tile the better it looks with smaller lines. Up to 1/4" is the norm but
I have laid 18x18 travertine with 1/2" lines and it looked good grouted.
Another main factor is the underlayment. If it moves even 1/16" lines
may show cracks.

Nehmo wrote:
In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines more prone
to crack if they are wide?

yes.

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

grout is harder to clean than tile. the less grout showing, the easier
cleanup will be.

Phil Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...

Nehmo wrote:
In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines
more prone
to crack if they are wide?

yes.

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow
over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

grout is harder to clean than tile. the less grout showing,
the easier
cleanup will be.

You need enough grout width for it to create a strong
joint...too thin and its weak, cracks out and leaks water.

Phil Scott

It also depends on tile size. A larger tile or tile whose width varies
slightly (hand made etc) needs a wider grout line. For example, if you
have a 12" or 18" tile with 1/16" grout line it does give much room to
adjust your grout lines or to compensate for width variations.

Richard J Kinch

Nehmo writes:

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

The only purpose of grout lines is to take up and fit the irregularities of
tile size, floor flatness, and installer skill. The smaller the better.
The grout itself is an inferior flooring material, and the less of it, the
better.
keith

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:33:50 +0000, Nehmo wrote:

In tile, stone floor tile, for example, are the grout lines more prone
to crack if they are wide?

Grout width is a personal/aesthetic thing. If the floor is going to flex
enough to the grout to crack, the tile will eventually too. With 12" tile
I like a 1/4" grout line. I'm doing a bunch now, in fact.

Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage of narrow over wide, or
visa versa, grout lines?

Not really, though it *may* be easier down the line to cut wider grout out
to replace it. I wouldn't consider this to be a magor advantage though.
The big thing is to make sure the substrate that you're mounting the tile
to is stiff enough.

--
Keith

butch burton

If the floor is going to flex
enough to the grout to crack, the tile will eventually too. With 12"
tile
I like a 1/4" grout line. I'm doing a bunch now, in fact.
snip

In the areas with tile, will have 3/4" T&G exterior grade plywood,
glued and screwed down to manufactured joists consisting of 2x4
connected with a metal web with web being 12" high. In the areas with
tile - will attach 3/4" OSB UNDER the 3/4" plywood with screws and glue
to reinforce the floor to keep it from flexing under the tile. Is the
latter necessary - will a 24" span between manufactured web joists flex
too much. Don't want to go to the expense of putting down a double
thickness of decking everywhere. Maybe simpler -easier but it would
cost a lot more.

Thanks

keith

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:57:25 -0700, butch burton wrote:

If the floor is going to flex
enough to the grout to crack, the tile will eventually too. With 12"
tile
I like a 1/4" grout line. I'm doing a bunch now, in fact.
snip

In the areas with tile, will have 3/4" T&G exterior grade plywood,
glued and screwed down to manufactured joists consisting of 2x4
connected with a metal web with web being 12" high. In the areas with
tile - will attach 3/4" OSB UNDER the 3/4" plywood with screws and glue
to reinforce the floor to keep it from flexing under the tile. Is the
latter necessary - will a 24" span between manufactured web joists flex
too much. Don't want to go to the expense of putting down a double
thickness of decking everywhere. Maybe simpler -easier but it would
cost a lot more.

Disclaimer: I'm a homeowner, not a pro...

I think that may flex too much. The specs for tile call for
at least 1-1/4" subfloor (on 16" joist centers, I think). My house has
3/4" plywood over 2x8's 16" O.C. Where I tile, I add 1/2" Hardi-Backer
across the beams (not aligned with the ply). That is put down in thinset
and screwed every 8". I also use the thinset that's designed to allow a
little flex (FlexBond is the brand name, IIRC) for mounting the tile. It's
expensive, but not nearly as much as a cracked tile. I also shimmed and
glued under the subfloor, where possible, to try to eliminate any movement
I could.

My downstairs bathroom and laundry seem to be OK after a year. I'm now
doing the foyer coat-closet and upstairs 1/2 bath. Finished the
harti-backer yesterday and cut all the tiles (toilet is a PITA). Today is
tile day. Fun, fun, fun. ;-)

--
Keith
Nehmo

- keith -
I'm now doing ...upstairs 1/2 bath. Finished the
harti-backer yesterday and cut all the tiles (toilet is a PITA).

- Nehmo -
Why would cutting for the toilet be hard? You removed the toilet, didn't
you?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

keith

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:09:40 +0000, Nehmo wrote:

- keith -
I'm now doing ...upstairs 1/2 bath. Finished the
harti-backer yesterday and cut all the tiles (toilet is a PITA).

- Nehmo -
Why would cutting for the toilet be hard? You removed the toilet, didn't
you?

Of course! It's still sitting next to the computer. ;-)

It sounds like you've been here, so I hope I don't seem like a fool,
but floor tile is *HARD*. I had no problem cuttign a 4" hole in wall tile
for a dryer vent in the laundry with a RotoZip, circle cutter, and carbide
bit. The floor tile just laughed at that setup (and the carbide bit got
quite embarrased).

So... The only way I managed to cut the holes for the toilets (this is
the second of three bathrooms) was the "death of a thousand cuts", with
the wet saw and nippers. At least the upstairs bathroom hole went through
four tiles. The downstairs was 90% in one tile. While this isn't
impossible, it is a PITA.

--
Keith

Grout Paint...options? djay Home Repair 6 March 13th 05 05:29 PM
tile grout options pinya Home Repair 9 February 22nd 05 09:21 PM
shorted out phone line re barry martin Home Repair 1 June 17th 04 02:50 PM
Bright Vertical Line on TV Rob Electronics Repair 12 March 14th 04 06:37 PM
tool for prying old grout out? peter Home Repair 4 March 2nd 04 07:06 AM