rile

Default Jig to keep work square and plumb

I'm making Jake chairs and thought it would be easier to make some sort
of jig to start the assembly. The first step is to align the two long
seat braces parallel to each other, plumb, and not ricked. The last
time, it took me about 15 minutes to get it right. Is there some type
of jig I could construct out of scrap wood that would simplify the
process?

Battleax

"rile" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm making Jake chairs and thought it would be easier to make some sort
of jig to start the assembly. The first step is to align the two long
seat braces parallel to each other, plumb, and not ricked. The last
time, it took me about 15 minutes to get it right. Is there some type
of jig I could construct out of scrap wood that would simplify the
process?

Absolutely! Decide what will work best and build it.

Larry Jaques

On 5 Sep 2005 20:16:08 -0700, the blithe spirit "rile"
clearly indicated:

I'm making Jake chairs and thought it would be easier to make some sort
of jig to start the assembly. The first step is to align the two long
seat braces parallel to each other, plumb, and not ricked. The last
time, it took me about 15 minutes to get it right. Is there some type
of jig I could construct out of scrap wood that would simplify the
process?

Yes.

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxxxt!

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------
rile

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm reminded of my college professor
who said that the more he was around people, the more he liked his dog.

Rile:

Take the above with a grain of salt. You got to be "tough"
in this newsgroup at times.

Anyways, what people were saying is: every jig
is the "mother of invention" in that, what you build
is going to be specific to your task at hand.

I don't know what a "Jake" chair is, so I can't help
specifically, I have seen jigs made out of MDF
that hold pieces in specific orientation to help the
glueup. You might want to look at jig books. I think
Popular Woodworking has one or more titles out
that might help. Also you might want to see
what other chairmakers have done Do a "google"
and see what pops up.

Good luck.

MJ Wallace