John Emmons

Default Way OT, PVC pipe

Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

Doug Miller

In article , "John Emmons" wrote:
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

A rag moistened with acetone or lacquer thinner will do nicely -- just don't
soak the pipe with the stuff, and it'll be fine.

--
Regards,

Upscale

"John Emmons" wrote in message news:k7MSe.184823
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC

pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

White paint? White permanent marker? Light sanding?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

A rag moistened with acetone or lacquer thinner will do nicely -- just
don't
soak the pipe with the stuff, and it'll be fine.

But don't get the acetone on your hands or we'll have another hundreds posts
about how bad it is for you. And make sure you are grounded with solid
copper wire when you wipe it so static charges don't create an explosion of
the dust in your vacuum cleaner.

John B

John Emmons wrote:
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

G'day John,
I always sand it of with a fine paper, works Ok.
regards
John
John Flatley

Try the PVC cleaner used to prep the glue joint.

Jack

--
I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.
"John Emmons" wrote in message
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC

pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
But don't get the acetone on your hands or we'll have another hundreds
posts about how bad it is for you. And make sure you are grounded with
solid copper wire when you wipe it so static charges don't create an
explosion of the dust in your vacuum cleaner.

I find it interesting that you would joke about something as serious as
exploding dust collectors. It is a well known fact that the static created
in these things can cause major explosions.....hahahaha Just messin' with
you Edwin! I got a good laugh from your post.
Cheers,
cc

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:16:16 GMT, "John Emmons"
wrote:

Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

You might ty rubbing compound - should remove the printing and polish
the pvc at the same time.

Bill
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 01:15:23 -0400, John Flatley wrote:
Try the PVC cleaner used to prep the glue joint.

Yes, that works great. Although if you can only find the purple stuff
it kind of defeats the purpose...

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

Sandpaper?

But the real question is why you want to.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
John Emmons

Well no, the real question was how to remove it. Why is a whole nother
question. I'm using some PVC pipe for something other than what it was
designed for and I want to make it a plain white instead of having all the
printing on it. Pretty simple really.

Acetone sorta worked, not as well as I would have thought. I'll try some
lacquer thinner next.

John
wrote:

Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC

pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

Sandpaper?

But the real question is why you want to.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh,

and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:23:44 GMT, John Emmons wrote:
Well no, the real question was how to remove it. Why is a whole nother
question. I'm using some PVC pipe for something other than what it was
designed for and I want to make it a plain white instead of having all the
printing on it. Pretty simple really.

Acetone sorta worked, not as well as I would have thought. I'll try some
lacquer thinner next.

Some reason you're resisting the idea of using...pvc pipe cleaner...?

Rick Beebe

You might try hairspray. Back in the old days when I worked in a grocery
store that's what we used to remove the purple ink from the price stamps
when the prices changed. I've noticed they still make the brand of spray
we used. Not sure what it is but it's a silver and purple can with a
sort-of spider web design on it.

--Rick

John Emmons wrote:
Well no, the real question was how to remove it. Why is a whole nother
question. I'm using some PVC pipe for something other than what it was
designed for and I want to make it a plain white instead of having all the
printing on it. Pretty simple really.

Acetone sorta worked, not as well as I would have thought. I'll try some
lacquer thinner next.

John Emmons

Not resisting it at all, just don't happen to have any onhand and someone
recommended both acetone and lacquer thinner, both of which I happen to have
onhand.

If the lacquer thinner doesn't work, I'll go get some pvc pipe cleaner. If I
can find any that isn't tinted as someone else mentioned.

John Emmons

wrote:
Well no, the real question was how to remove it. Why is a whole nother
question. I'm using some PVC pipe for something other than what it was
designed for and I want to make it a plain white instead of having all

the
printing on it. Pretty simple really.

Acetone sorta worked, not as well as I would have thought. I'll try some
lacquer thinner next.

Some reason you're resisting the idea of using...pvc pipe cleaner...?

Gary

"John Emmons" wrote in message
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC
pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

I think I would try arosol cans of flat white paint. Works nicely on other
white plastic doodads such as picture frames.

Gary

John Emmons

Thanks, I used some acetone, did a good enough job.

Apparently I should have used PVC pipe cleaner but I didn't have any onhand
and I only needed to clean up a few feet of pipe. Seemed kind of silly to go
buy something I rarely need when something I did have onhand, teh acetone,
would do.

John

"Gary" wrote in message
link.net...

"John Emmons" wrote in message
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC
pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

I think I would try arosol cans of flat white paint. Works nicely on

other
white plastic doodads such as picture frames.

Gary

Steve knight

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:44:54 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

"John Emmons" wrote in message
Anyone know offhand what solvent will remove the printing on white PVC
pipe
without softening the pipe itself? I tried mineral spirits, didn't do
nuthin...

acetone will do it. just wipe it on and it will suck the lettering
right off. it dries fast enough to keep problems from happening.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes