Cyrille de Brébisson

Default which Table saw for $500 or less?

Hello,

I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table saw,
it has the following issues:
- the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious
work
- the fence is small and not 90° (although it locks good)
- I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it
- miter is worthless
- it's noisy and vibrates a lot...

I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are
your recommendations?

regards, cyrille

RayV

I have a Jet I picked up for around that price and have no complaints.

The latest issue of WWJ recommends the Rigid saw for about that price.

Factor in the cost of a good blade that you probably not get with any
saw you choose.

RonB

Take a look at Grizzly. They will provide phone numbers of a couple of
folks in their area with similar equipment. Pretty helpful if you can't get
to one of their showrooms.

I have had one of their 1023 series cabinet saws for years and love it.

RonBH

Newsgroups.comcast.net

What about Delta?

I'm buying soon, also with a 500$ budget. I've settled on the Delta 36-675
($499 on amazon.com with free delivery). But there is a Sears Hardware
going out of business up the street that has a 679$ hybrid table saw
currently priced at 15% off. If it's still in the store when it hits 30%
off (under 500$), it's mine.

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message
Hello,

I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table
saw, it has the following issues:
- the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious
work
- the fence is small and not 90° (although it locks good)
- I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it
- miter is worthless
- it's noisy and vibrates a lot...

I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are
your recommendations?

regards, cyrille

D Steck

I would never buy Sears. Give that saw a year and you'll never find parts.
Also, find any aftermarket accessories for a Delta or Jet and just see if it
will fit on a Craftsman w/o some special modification. I bought a
Powermatic 64A which is a polished brother to the Jet CS and I have
difficulty with the after market stuff - I can't imagine what it would be
like with a Craftsman.

Pay now or pay later...

"Newsgroups.comcast.net" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message

I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are
your recommendations?

Save up until you have another $250 or so. Then get a Delta, Jet, Ridgid,
or a few others in that price point that are solid and have very good
fences. Read the latest WWJournal for some good information.

Toller

Used

a used saw. look for something older than you and heavier than you.

Brian Kerr

Cyrille de Brébisson wrote:
Hello,

I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table saw,
it has the following issues:
- the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious
work
- the fence is small and not 90° (although it locks good)
- I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it
- miter is worthless
- it's noisy and vibrates a lot...

I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are
your recommendations?

regards, cyrille

If you can up your $500 to about $600 I highly reccomend the Rigid 3650.
It's a great saw that blows away everything else in it's price class.

Phisherman

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:05:10 GMT, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote:

Hello,

I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table saw,
it has the following issues:
- the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious
work
- the fence is small and not 90° (although it locks good)
- I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it
- miter is worthless
- it's noisy and vibrates a lot...

I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are
your recommendations?

regards, cyrille

Save up your $--you'll need a bit more to get a decent table saw
unless you can find a used one.
Posted to rec.woodworking
etoolclub

Yes, I agree with the rest of the comments posted here. I would save
the money until you could save up for a closed stand saw.

The only Jet tablesaw that comes close to your price range is their
contactor tablesaw:

http://www.etoolclub.com/index.cfm?a...il&iid=6057509

and it's right at the price point you were looking to spend. However,
if you look at some of the others we carry. you will quickly realize
that most of the models with the features that you are sure to want
get a little higher than your price range.

http://www.etoolclub.com/index.cfm?a...browse&cid=789

Jet, Powermatic, Delta, General and Rigid all make great models and we
carry replacement parts and accessories for the Jet and Powermatic
models. Please let me know if there is any question you may have,
and I'll make sure we get you an answer.

Good luck on your search...saving your money might be the best bet on
this one unless you are just looking for a solid tablesaw without the
frills.