Default How To Set Depth Gauge On Chainsaw?

Is it possible to file the depth gauges on a chainsaw chain with the
handy dandy sharpener Harbor Freight has at the following link?

I have this sharpener, but unfortunately it did not come with any
instructions... I also found out by reading many articles on
sharpening that the teeth should be the same size (distance from
cutting edge to back of tooth). Can anyone shed any light on how to
use this sharpener to make sure the teeth are being sharpened to the
exact same size?

Why does the top of the tooth slant downward to the back? If the tooth
didn't slant I wouldn't have to worry about filing the depth gauges...
Do any manufacturers make chains with teeth that don't slant? If so,
is that a good thing or bad thing? Thanks!

hylourgos

[this may be a repeat post, sorry if so...]

Can't speak to the rest of your questions, but as to the manual, check
more closely on the page you link to: near the bottom, below the price
and "Add to Basket", you'll see, in green, "Download Product manual".

FYI,

Hmmm... Don't you hate it when you miss the obvious? Thanks for
pointing that out!

Robert Allison

Is it possible to file the depth gauges on a chainsaw chain with the
handy dandy sharpener Harbor Freight has at the following link?

I have this sharpener, but unfortunately it did not come with any
instructions... I also found out by reading many articles on
sharpening that the teeth should be the same size (distance from
cutting edge to back of tooth). Can anyone shed any light on how to
use this sharpener to make sure the teeth are being sharpened to the
exact same size?

Why does the top of the tooth slant downward to the back? If the tooth
didn't slant I wouldn't have to worry about filing the depth gauges...
Do any manufacturers make chains with teeth that don't slant? If so,
is that a good thing or bad thing? Thanks!

No, you can't use that for the depth gauges. The best thing I
have found for DGs is a 3 corner file.

Perfection is a goal, not a destination. Try to keep them the
same by sharpening each tooth each time you sharpen the blade.
They don't have to be EXACTLY the same, but close.

The tooth slants downward to give it bite into the wood. The
depth gauge keeps it from going too far.

No one makes a nonslanting chain, it wouldn't work.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Thanks for the information! The nonslanting part makes sense...

CW

If you find a manufacturer that makes chains that have teeth that don't
slant (clearence), you have found the manufacturer of non cutting chains.
Lay a knife blade flat on a board. Is it going to cut the board in that
position?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to file the depth gauges on a chainsaw chain with the
handy dandy sharpener Harbor Freight has at the following link?

I have this sharpener, but unfortunately it did not come with any
instructions... I also found out by reading many articles on
sharpening that the teeth should be the same size (distance from
cutting edge to back of tooth). Can anyone shed any light on how to
use this sharpener to make sure the teeth are being sharpened to the
exact same size?

Why does the top of the tooth slant downward to the back? If the tooth
didn't slant I wouldn't have to worry about filing the depth gauges...
Do any manufacturers make chains with teeth that don't slant? If so,
is that a good thing or bad thing? Thanks!

My thought on a chain with a non-slant tooth would be that the cutting
edge would not be able to get a bite on the wood traveling at high
speed. Since the chain is bouncing around a tad, the slant is needed
to help ensure a good bite.

I like your first sentence! However, I don't quite buy your second
sentence. Bread knives are flat, but serrated (the serrated part might
not qualify for the true definition of flat...). Knives in planers and
jointers are flat and cut like a mean son-of-a-gun (got a scar to prove
it-long story, briefly put - Tormek + planer HSS knife + replacing =
nice clean deep cut).

depth gauge aalchin Woodworking 14 August 26th 05 04:54 AM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Need Advice of Finish Nail Gun to Buy - 15 or 16 gauge makesawdust Woodworking 7 January 31st 05 04:03 PM
Review of the Osbourn 3 miter gauge Leon Woodworking 18 June 24th 04 08:57 PM
Stabilized ChainSaw Bar?? Accuracy needed. MrMercedes Metalworking 2 July 14th 03 10:11 AM