Default Help with clamping pressure

Is there such thing as a rule of thumb when it comes to clamping
pressure for edge jointing?

I just did a tabletop for a "utility" table for my workshop, and for
the practice I did a glue-up instead of using plywood.

Not knowing any better, I clamped the damn-fool hell out of it. (If 10
lbs. of pressure is good, then 100 lbs. is TEN times better...)

I just read an article that briefly mentioned something about clamping
too tight and squeezing out too much glue, thereby weakening the joint.

So far, the table top is holding up fine, but how can I know this will
always be the case???

Can someone please enlighten me on this one, or point me to a resource?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give!

Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...

I just read an article that briefly mentioned something about clamping
too tight and squeezing out too much glue, thereby weakening the joint.

So did I and that is basicaly the authors point of view and according to the
glue companies you cannot tighten too much. There is truely a term of
"starving a joint" but that is when you do not put enough glue on in the
joint to start with. Clamping too tightly normally damages the wood rather
than starves the joint of glue. I have never had a problem with a joint
regardlsee of how tightly I tightened the clamps.
That said, moderate pressure enough to close the joint and get a bit of
squeese out along the joing line is plenty.

If you need further information e-mail Franklin and ask about their glues
and clamping.

woodworker88

How much did you spend on your clamps? Mine are kinda cheap right now
and if I put too much pressure on them, they have a tendency to start
bending and metal fatigue, etc. I can clamp enough for anything I ever
need to do, but not 100's of psi. If I need to clamp 2 small pieces
together for jigs and the like, I just stick them in my vise overnight.
Holds great and spreads pressure over a larger area. Much easier than
trying to put 2 bar clamps on a 2x2" block.

David

woodworker88 wrote:

How much did you spend on your clamps? Mine are kinda cheap right now
and if I put too much pressure on them, they have a tendency to start
bending and metal fatigue, etc. I can clamp enough for anything I ever
need to do, but not 100's of psi. If I need to clamp 2 small pieces
together for jigs and the like, I just stick them in my vise overnight.
Holds great and spreads pressure over a larger area. Much easier than
trying to put 2 bar clamps on a 2x2" block.

ever tried a Bessy K body clamp? HD quit carrying them, but they are
still available in other stores and of course, through the 'net. Great
clamps. and you can NEVER have too many clamps...

Dave
rickluce

There was a great article in Fine woodworking a year or so ago
regarding clamping pressure and what specific clamps are capable of.
Maybe someone else remembers the issue, or you can check their website.
Just a fyi, you shouldn't have to clamp out gaps. If you do your just
setting yourself up for glue failure later on. Maybe someday I'll be
good enough to follow that rule.

Don

rickluce

Hey!!! I didn't post twice. What gives?

David

rickluce wrote:

Hey!!! I didn't post twice. What gives?

I don't know. I don't know.

Dave

Bruce Barnett

"rickluce" writes:

Hey!!! I didn't post twice. What gives?

There were two different message ID's, and two different dates:

Date: 23 Aug 2005 14:13:42 -0700

Date: 23 Aug 2005 14:18:13 -0700

One was 4 1/2 minutes after the other.