mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default N95 face masks - advice

DAVID and WILLR both recommended that one wears N95 face masks while
generating dust in the workshop, and for some time afterwards (as the
microdust settles down).

The material on the internet is very confusing. N95 relates to the size
of particles it filters. Some come with ports and some without.

I'm hoping that I can use a face shield for most of my work instead of
goggles. But in either case, I'll need a comfortable face mask.

I also will be wearing glasses (reading) so that I can see what I'm
doing! I don't know if that makes any difference with respect to face
masks.

Jack

George Berlinger

I have used them, the ports in the mask stop your glasses from fogging
up.....a big advantage....
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message ...
DAVID and WILLR both recommended that one wears N95 face masks while
generating dust in the workshop, and for some time afterwards (as the
microdust settles down).

The material on the internet is very confusing. N95 relates to the size
of particles it filters. Some come with ports and some without.

I'm hoping that I can use a face shield for most of my work instead of
goggles. But in either case, I'll need a comfortable face mask.

I also will be wearing glasses (reading) so that I can see what I'm doing!
I don't know if that makes any difference with respect to face masks.

Jack

Andy

I've used some also. I got a box from Rockler (not N95-rated that I
can see, but they are multi-layer and have an exhale valve). These
seem to filter well and release condensation well to avoid
glasses-fogging, but the elastic straps don't last too long. One thing
I've noticed with the exhale valve is that if enough condensation
builds up inside, it will occasionally drip out - something to watch if
you're bending over your project.
Next I think I want to try some from Lee valley ("Anti-fog Dust masks",
or maybe their "pleated dust masks", which are N95). Anyone tried
either of these? How about one of the big rubber jobs with replaceable
filters?

Lew Hodgett

Subject

I like Moldex.

Available with or w/o valve.

About $15/box of 10 pcs.

Check a safety clothing supplier.

Lew
JGS

I find the ported ones that are somewhat ridgid with a soft edge to mate
with your face are the most comfortable. Even with my large air cleaner
running I use one when sanding and cutting certain materials but that's
about it. Most other operations generate particles that are too large to
stay airborne long enough to breath them in or at least get past your nose.
Remember, to work any wear close to their stated protection factor you need
to be clean shaven. Cheers, JG

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

DAVID and WILLR both recommended that one wears N95 face masks while
generating dust in the workshop, and for some time afterwards (as the
microdust settles down).

The material on the internet is very confusing. N95 relates to the size
of particles it filters. Some come with ports and some without.

I'm hoping that I can use a face shield for most of my work instead of
goggles. But in either case, I'll need a comfortable face mask.

I also will be wearing glasses (reading) so that I can see what I'm
doing! I don't know if that makes any difference with respect to face
masks.

Jack

Prometheus

On 19 Aug 2005 12:10:35 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

Next I think I want to try some from Lee valley ("Anti-fog Dust masks",
or maybe their "pleated dust masks", which are N95). Anyone tried
either of these? How about one of the big rubber jobs with replaceable
filters?

The big rubber ones are great- I've always used them for work when it
involves hazardous chemicals of one sort or another or particularly
nasty dust, and they'll filter out just about anything with the right
cartridge. The industral supplier in town sells them for about $10
without a set of filters, Menards has them for $25 with a set of
charcoal filters. Either way, they're worth it. Get the round foam
filters for dust, and "Organic vapor" cartridges for solvents,
spraying finishes, spray paint, etc. It helps to put a prefilter pad
(sold in the same place as the rest) over the organic vapor cartridges
in dusty areas to help it last longer.

They mold tightly to your face and make an airtight seal (no
condensation drips or foggy glasses), are about the same comfort-wise
as a paper mask when adjusted correctly. The base mask lasts two or
three years, cartridge life depends on what you're using them for, and
how much they have to filter.

Highly recommended if you're going to use a mask a lot, or are
particularly sensitive to dust or solvents. No matter how good a
paper mask is, I've always had a little junk get past them. For the
prices I've seen, they're pretty competive with the paper masks once
you factor in the increase in performance and the number of disposable
masks it can replace.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:39:37 -0500, the opaque Prometheus
clearly wrote:

On 19 Aug 2005 12:10:35 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

Next I think I want to try some from Lee valley ("Anti-fog Dust masks",
or maybe their "pleated dust masks", which are N95). Anyone tried
either of these? How about one of the big rubber jobs with replaceable
filters?

First off, Andy, why aren't you going for N100 masks? If
you're in a dusty area, you need the utmost in protection
for your lungs.

The big rubber ones are great- I've always used them for work when it
involves hazardous chemicals of one sort or another or particularly
nasty dust, and they'll filter out just about anything with the right
cartridge. The industral supplier in town sells them for about $10
without a set of filters, Menards has them for $25 with a set of
charcoal filters. Either way, they're worth it. Get the round foam
filters for dust, and "Organic vapor" cartridges for solvents,
spraying finishes, spray paint, etc. It helps to put a prefilter pad
(sold in the same place as the rest) over the organic vapor cartridges
in dusty areas to help it last longer.

Ditto, Prom. I just ordered a box of what I thought were organic vapor
filters only to find out that they were paper alone, no carbon. The
genie guy on Ebay was charging $11 for shipping so I thought they were
the heavier REAL filters. I did misread the auction but the guy had
nothing but "well, I filled my part of the bargain" even though the
package weighed less than ONE POUND and he nailed me for $11 shipping.
I won't be doing business with "genie-lamp" AKA "hightechliquidators"
on Ebay again, lemme tell ya.

They mold tightly to your face and make an airtight seal (no
condensation drips or foggy glasses), are about the same comfort-wise
as a paper mask when adjusted correctly. The base mask lasts two or
three years, cartridge life depends on what you're using them for, and
how much they have to filter.

I think the silicone resuscitator masks are more comfortable than
paper masks. I also recommend purchasing an extra box full of
cartridges the same time you get the mask. That way you won't end up
on Ebay with someone jerking you around.

Highly recommended if you're going to use a mask a lot, or are
particularly sensitive to dust or solvents. No matter how good a
paper mask is, I've always had a little junk get past them. For the
prices I've seen, they're pretty competive with the paper masks once
you factor in the increase in performance and the number of disposable
masks it can replace.

Better yet is handling the dust at the source, before it gets to your
face/skin/lungs. He needs a dust collector, or at least a shop vac
with a HEPA filter element (and a pair of muffs.)

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

I like Moldex.

Available with or w/o valve.

About $15/box of 10 pcs.

Check a safety clothing supplier.

Lew

Should read: Box of 20.

Lew
Mark Wells

I finally went out and got a respirator with changable filters and I
wish I had done that a long time ago. It fits securely and seems to
filter very well. The VOC filter completely removes the smell and
headache caused by finishes. I don't remember the exact price, but it
really wasn't very expensive ($20-30?). The one I got was manufactured
by North.

Find a safety store in your area. (Look under "safety" in the yellow
pages.) The masks come in different sizes, so you need to find one
that fits your face.

Mark

Prometheus

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:51:52 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Highly recommended if you're going to use a mask a lot, or are
particularly sensitive to dust or solvents. No matter how good a
paper mask is, I've always had a little junk get past them. For the
prices I've seen, they're pretty competive with the paper masks once
you factor in the increase in performance and the number of disposable
masks it can replace.

Better yet is handling the dust at the source, before it gets to your
face/skin/lungs. He needs a dust collector, or at least a shop vac
with a HEPA filter element (and a pair of muffs.)

While there is something to that, the beauty of the respirators is
that you can do dusty work outside of the shop as well. Might not be
an issue for most, but the bulk of my solvent/dust exposure is on
jobsites- and it'd be tough to cart around anything much more than a
good exhaust fan.

Larry Jaques

wrote:

Better yet is handling the dust at the source, before it gets to your
face/skin/lungs. He needs a dust collector, or at least a shop vac
with a HEPA filter element (and a pair of muffs.)

While there is something to that, the beauty of the respirators is
that you can do dusty work outside of the shop as well. Might not be
an issue for most, but the bulk of my solvent/dust exposure is on
jobsites- and it'd be tough to cart around anything much more than a
good exhaust fan.

Each has its place in the shop/arsenal against dust/mists, etc.

Masks work fine for mowing and weedeating.

Respirators (with the proper filter carts) work for spraying
pesticides and working with ammonia, etc.

And exhaust fans/dust collectors/shop vacs keep the dust off you
(and out of your lungs) in the shop.

Doubling up is a good idea, too. Carcinogens in your lungs just give
them reason to form growths which'll either ruin your quality of life
or kill you. We can't have that, now, can we?

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
George

"JGS" wrote in message
Most other operations generate particles that are too large to
stay airborne long enough to breath them in or at least get past your
nose.
Remember, to work any wear close to their stated protection factor you
need
to be clean shaven. Cheers, JG

Hmmm. Mother nature really screwed up, I guess. She traps particles too
small to be seen by creating turbulence around mucous-coated hairs.

Put a bit of Vaseline on your beard and see what happens.