Joe Mama

Default Defects in Hitachi tools

The C10FR portable saw I bought had a defective switch which failed
after about 15 minutes use. Reported this to Hitachi and asked for
replacement switch. Recieved no reply. Hitachi does no stand behind this
product. Poor design in dust collection system for this saw allows dust
to accumulate in base which then blows into the face of user creating
potential for lung damage.
Hitachi's non-response to this problem contrasts strongly with other
companies. Delta in particular has a very good customer service policy
and in my case they have done more than I required to stand behind their
Uni Saw and bench lathe when I complained about defects. Therefore I
highly recommend Delta tools and strongly recommend you stay away from
Hitachi.
Rabbit
P.S. If the above weren't bad enough, I was using a Hitachi framing
nailer the other day and it fired while the gun was not in contact with
the work and the trigger was not squeezed. The gun was old and well used
but still the potential for injury is enormous.

Lon Marshall
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Mama" wrote in message

The C10FR portable saw I bought had a defective switch which failed
after about 15 minutes use. Reported this to Hitachi and asked for
replacement switch. Recieved no reply. Hitachi does no stand behind this
product.

Reported to whom? And by what means? Did you take it to an authorized
dealer or service center? Absence of a reply means you did not contact the
right party or your "contact" did not get through. This is far different
than refusal to service a product under warranty.

Sorry, but no sympathy until we know you took the appropriate steps. .If
you left a voice mail and they could not understand the phone number, they
cannot help. Email is not 100% reliable.
More facts needed here

Chances are, if after that short a time you took it back tot he dealer they
would just replace the unit.

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Joe Mama" wrote in message

The C10FR portable saw I bought had a defective switch which failed
after about 15 minutes use. Reported this to Hitachi and asked for
replacement switch. Recieved no reply. Hitachi does no stand behind this
product.

Reported to whom? And by what means? Did you take it to an authorized
dealer or service center? Absence of a reply means you did not contact the
right party or your "contact" did not get through. This is far different
than refusal to service a product under warranty.

Sorry, but no sympathy until we know you took the appropriate steps. .If
you left a voice mail and they could not understand the phone number, they
cannot help. Email is not 100% reliable.
More facts needed here

Chances are, if after that short a time you took it back tot he dealer they
would just replace the unit.

Probably bought it mail order so he doesn't have a local dealer...gets
what one pays for.

That said, I agree if he follows proper procedure for the outlet chain
he followed, I strongly suspect he will receive service...
Joe Mama

Bought at Lowes and reported via Htiachi Customer Service web page.
Bought this because I needed a small saw to throw in the truck for work.
Sorry but I can't lift the UniSaw. Also the Hitachi started making
horrible noises and smoking while I was ripping a 2X4. The motor was
puking up rubber. After it stopped puking shredded rubber it still ran
so I'm still using it with an after market switch. Funny how the old
delta saw I bought for 69 bucks years ago never had a lick of trouble
after being used for years and bounced around in the back of my truck. I
thought it was time for something better and the Hitachi had wheels
which I liked so I bought it. What a joke.
I had to cut the bottom out of the stand with a plasma cutter to
avoid choking on the dust it spewed. You guys work for Hitachi do you?
Rabbit

Lon Marshall
Joe Mama

BTW, No matter where I bought it, it's still junk. When a small 5 cent
clip broke on my UniFence (which was new) and I complained to Delta they
sent me a whole new casting complete worth about a hundred bucks. Way
above and beyond what I expected. I've been in woodworking and
construction since 1975 or so and I've never had so much trouble with a
tool as I've had with this one and no, I won't take it back to Lowes. I
don't have the time. I work 6 days a week. I leave home at 5 in the
morning and get home at 5:30 at night.When I'm done for the day I just
don't want to fart around with bull dung. When it dies for good I'll
throw it away and buy a Delta.
Rabbit

Lon Marshall

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Mama" wrote in message
Bought at Lowes and reported via Htiachi Customer Service web page.

I had to cut the bottom out of the stand with a plasma cutter to
avoid choking on the dust it spewed. You guys work for Hitachi do you?
Rabbit

That explains a lot. Most CS reports on a web site take forever. Call them
or take it back.

No I don't work for Hitachi and it may well be a piece of crap, but there
are other, more reliable, avenues to get the fix you are entitled to.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Mama" wrote in message news:arabbit-
I won't take it back to Lowes. I
don't have the time. I work 6 days a week. I leave home at 5 in the
morning and get home at 5:30 at night.When I'm done for the day I just
don't want to fart around with bull dung.

You need to raise your rates and work less hours for the same $$$. No one
should have to work 65+ hours a week.

Leon

"Joe Mama" wrote in message
BTW, No matter where I bought it, it's still junk. When a small 5 cent
clip broke on my UniFence (which was new) and I complained to Delta they
sent me a whole new casting complete worth about a hundred bucks.

IMHO they should have had that $100 replacement part on the saw before you
took delivery. I guess they figured "what the heck" we'll see how many
people will make do with out the $100 part that should have been on there in
the first place.

Way above and beyond what I expected.

Most people would agree as is appears that it is about a 50/50 chance you
will get good service out of a Delta dealer.
I remember seeing a Unisaw set on a DEALERS show room floor for about 3
months while they waited for the replacement trunion assembly to arrive.
Delta of course blamed the shipping company which was apparently singling
out Delta in the entire USA to break their saw trunions vs. every one
else's. Smell something fishy there? Delta later admitted that the
trunions were being assembled incorrectly and many arrived broken due to
improper torqueing of the bolts during assembly. No one puts out 100%
perfection. It all boils down to personal preference and which
problems/inconveniences you are willing to put up with. Trying to pass a 5
cent part instead of a $100 part would have gotten my goat.

CaptMike

Joe Mama wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you just got a lemon... or maybe a return that was put back
on the floor and shouldn't have been there. My only Hitachi is a CSMS
which I've had for about 4+ years and it's been totally bulletproof and
it has bounced around from job to job with only the tightening handle
breaking... and guess who had the part in stock? My local Delta store
who also sells Hitachi because they think Hitachi's got some pretty good
power tools. I've got another contractor buddy who has the exact same
Hitachi as well as a 12" DW CSMS and he calls the Hitachi his trim
jewel. Well... he's a little weird anyway.

But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Hiatchi power tool... maybe not a TS,
but something smaller? Why not.

Mike