SwampBug

Default router template guides. . .

any preferences on steel or brass?=20

--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

WillR

SwampBug wrote:
any preferences on steel or brass?=20
=20

Brass won't rust and discolour wood. Otherwise...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
BillyBob

Brass.

--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

bridger

had one come loose wkile the router was running once. it sprayed brass
shavings around instead of carbide chunks and the bit was fine. I don't
know if a steel one would have done that.

Bruce

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:37:22 -0600, bridger wrote
(in article .com):

had one come loose wkile the router was running once. it sprayed brass
shavings around instead of carbide chunks and the bit was fine. I don't
know if a steel one would have done that.

Brass!

I've had several instances of the collar coming loose, glad I caught it
before it did damage. I've added a small set screw to the collar for the
extra piece of mind...

-Bruce

SwampBug

Thanks for the replies, seems there is a consensus.
Brass it is. I will look again at ttrackusa.com. They seem to have the =
nicest looking set
--=20
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Bruce" wrote in message =
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:37:22 -0600, bridger wrote
(in article .com):

had one come loose wkile the router was running once. it sprayed brass
shavings around instead of carbide chunks and the bit was fine. I =

don't
know if a steel one would have done that.
=20

Brass!

I've had several instances of the collar coming loose, glad I caught it=20
before it did damage. I've added a small set screw to the collar for the =

extra piece of mind...

-Bruce

W. Wells

I use wood guides. I use an overhead pin router. It wears out eventually but
it works good and won't hurt your blades.
"SwampBug" wrote in message
any preferences on steel or brass?

--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Have had brass & steel unwind from the subbase.
Have seen more brass oversized (1.375-1.379") lately too. An oversized
ring will not fit in a subbase on-spec. Steel often undersized,
occasionally right on.
Because an oversized ring will not fit an on-spec plate (like the ones
I make) I will not buy brass.
Notwithstanding, brass is pretty and won't kill carbide like steel
might.
Using the hardware at the http://www.patwarner.com/sundries.html link,
I can tighten and center to within a couple of thousandths, perhaps a
more important factor than material choice.