AL

Default Grizzly shapers G1026 (3hp) vs G7214 (7.5hp)

I need a shaper but can't decide between the G1026 (3hp) and the G7214
(7.5hp, 3 phase). I can afford the smaller one right now but would have to
save up for the bigger one. I do have 3 phase power. Usually when I pick
the smaller of the two, I end up kicking myself. But sometimes, like with
my contractor's saw, the smaller one ends up doing everything I want.

Comments?

Duane Bozarth

AL wrote:

I need a shaper but can't decide between the G1026 (3hp) and the G7214
(7.5hp, 3 phase). I can afford the smaller one right now but would have to
save up for the bigger one. I do have 3 phase power. Usually when I pick
the smaller of the two, I end up kicking myself. But sometimes, like with
my contractor's saw, the smaller one ends up doing everything I want.

Comments?

Those two don't look to me to be sufficiently close together to be the
either-or choices--the larger one is a real industrial machine whereas
the other is a higher-end home-shop or smaller cabinet shop.

I'd have to know a lot more about the need to make a even half-baked
recommendation owing to that substantial difference between the two.
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

AL wrote:

I need a shaper but can't decide between the G1026 (3hp) and the G7214
(7.5hp, 3 phase). I can afford the smaller one right now but would have to
save up for the bigger one. I do have 3 phase power. Usually when I pick
the smaller of the two, I end up kicking myself. But sometimes, like with
my contractor's saw, the smaller one ends up doing everything I want.

Comments?

Those two don't look to me to be sufficiently close together to be the
either-or choices--the larger one is a real industrial machine whereas
the other is a higher-end home-shop or smaller cabinet shop.

I'd have to know a lot more about the need to make a even half-baked
recommendation owing to that substantial difference between the two.

(Other than the same general feeling as you describe of typically
waiting until can get the "real deal" as opposed to scrimping, that is).

But, if you have production needs other than recreational, it may be
worthwhile to go ahead. I can't imagine much you wouldn't be able to
accomplish w/ the smaller one, just that the larger table and size and
additional shaft speeds/capacities might be of some value at some
point in time.
SonomaProducts.com

It looks like the fence system on the 7 is much nicer with a micro
adjust. It will also be a lot better if you are spinning really big
cutters, not just because of the HP but also it can be run slower.

If you are planning on running big wing cutters, I'd finance the
difference and get that sucker now. If you are just looking for a more
powerful router, then the 10 will be more than enough.

bc

Can't comment about the bigger one, but I have the 1026 and except for
the fence really like it. I replaced the fence with a modified version
of Norm's router table fence and I'm alot happier. I hated the fine
adjust feature. It was too hard to replicate fence settings and never
worked very well. As for power I have run up to 5" panel raising bits
in oak without a problem. The 1026 is a two speed machine. You change
speeds by changing the belts. Low is low enough to run the
aformentioned 5" monster and high does a decent job even with router
bits. I have to say though unless you are doing alot of cabinet doors
or other production type work, a router table might be a better choice,
just because the bits are so much less expensive. I just spent $250
for the panel raiser with a stile and rail set. I could have gotten
the same in router bits for between $100 to $150 dollars. I bought my
shaper just as router tables were becoming popular and if I had it to
do over again I would probably invest in a good 3 horse router and
router table, just because I could have a lot bigger variety of bits
for a lot less and since I'm not a production shop that makes more
sense than the heavy duty capacity of the shaper. Don't get me wrong,
I love the shaper. It does a beautiful job, and the cutters I have
will last me a lifetime, but I think I would have spent the money
better with the router table and more of an assortment of profile
options. Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions about
the 1026 just drop me a line. Happy sawdust, BC