Default scroll saw blade length

I'm just getting around to trying to use an old scroll saw I picked up
at a garage sale. It's probably vintage 50's or 60's. The brand is
Shopmaster and it says it was made in Minneapolis. Anyway, I want to
get a thinner blade for it to do some tight corners, but I'm not sure
if I can find one the right length. The blade I pulled out of there was
6.25 inches long, and everything at the hardware stores seems to be 5
inches and that's it.

Is 5 inches now the standard and am I going to have trouble finding a
thin blade for this?

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm just getting around to trying to use an old scroll saw I picked up
at a garage sale. It's probably vintage 50's or 60's. The brand is
Shopmaster and it says it was made in Minneapolis. Anyway, I want to
get a thinner blade for it to do some tight corners, but I'm not sure
if I can find one the right length. The blade I pulled out of there was
6.25 inches long, and everything at the hardware stores seems to be 5
inches and that's it.

Is 5 inches now the standard and am I going to have trouble finding a
thin blade for this?

I have an old saw that uses a (hand) coping saw blade. They are about the
size you want.