SBO

Default Miter gauge for a table saw.

I am looking for an economic miter gauge for a table saw (standard slot 3/8
x 3/4). I don't need a sofisticated system, just a miter gauge with a
minimum of precision. It this tool a good choice ?
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=16517
or any suggestion less than 100$

Thank you !

Stephane Bourque

www

"SBO" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for an economic miter gauge for a table saw (standard slot

3/8
x 3/4). I don't need a sofisticated system, just a miter gauge with a
minimum of precision. It this tool a good choice ?
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=16517
or any suggestion less than 100$

Thank you !

The Incra V27 is a pretty good basic miter gauge.
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/IncraV27.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage
- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System
- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

If you can't afford the Incra, I vote that you look on Ebay for an old
Delta/Rocwell mitre gauges. The problem with the gauge you link to, is
that the pointer is never accurate. You'll end up having to realign it
with a square or drafting triangle every time to adjust it. Doable,
but a inconvience.

The Incra is very good! I have one, however the sliding stop on it is
somewhat painfull to move around, but once you zero in the measurement
tape, it can be very accurate for cutoffs.

Stephen M

I happen to think that stock miter gauges stink.

I have a couple of sleds that accomplish all of my crosscutting. The are
good enough (pretty darned good) so that I never use a miter gauge.

Have you considered just making a a sled or two?

-Steve

"SBO" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for an economic miter gauge for a table saw (standard slot

3/8
x 3/4). I don't need a sofisticated system, just a miter gauge with a
minimum of precision. It this tool a good choice ?
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=16517
or any suggestion less than 100$

Thank you !

Stephane Bourque

gadgetman

Stephane,
I own an osborne and now an incra 1000se both way over your budget.
The rockler one, the incra, the kreg and others are well reviewed. I
think that a miter gauge is well worth investing in. I use a
contractor saw and get dead on accuracy with these. I was not getting
any good accuracy with the one that came with my saw and it is a very
well liked contractor's saw.
Accuracy is everything if you are going to do things like boxes,
musical instruments, mortise and tenon joints, box joints etc. etc.
I don't agree that you "don't need" one of these precision miter
gauges. You do!! IMHO
Mike R.

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you can't afford the Incra, I vote that you look on Ebay for an old
Delta/Rocwell mitre gauges. The problem with the gauge you link to, is
that the pointer is never accurate. You'll end up having to realign it
with a square or drafting triangle every time to adjust it. Doable,
but a inconvience.

The Incra is very good! I have one, however the sliding stop on it is
somewhat painfull to move around, but once you zero in the measurement
tape, it can be very accurate for cutoffs.

Anything that locks can be as accurate as anything else. I have the old
microadjustable Delta, and I can bolt on all kinds of things if I need to.
The pointer can be adjusted, but who's foolish enough to believe any miter
gage of any price will remain accurate? Too easy to check the setup by
matching pieces for me to ever trust some ignorant piece of iron.

Not to mention that the most likely source of inaccuracy is the operator,
anyway.

Swingman

"SBO" wrote in message ...
I am looking for an economic miter gauge for a table saw (standard slot

3/8
x 3/4). I don't need a sofisticated system, just a miter gauge with a
minimum of precision.

Just a tad over $20 over your budget is the Woodhaven Deluxe miter gauge. I
have one, use it mostly for cutting odd angles, and it is dead on accurate
at ALL settings. They do have a more basic unit for less, but I've never
used it. However, if it has anywhere near the accuracy the deluxe model has,
it should be in the running for you and worth checking out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05