Wilson

Default Do I need a table saw?

NO, the RAS wil do all that more safely.
Wilson
"Ignoramus21895" wrote in message
I have an old heavy Sears tablesaw. Besides, I have a hand circular
saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, and a radial saw. The tablesaw takes
space in my garage and I have not used it in a while. I do not make
fancy things like furniture etc. Just crude stuff for my projects that
is of secondary nature (like an enclosure for a phase converter or a
doghouse for a generator).

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws. I suspect that the answer is
no. If so, perhaps I can sell the tablesaw and free up some space.

Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

Morris Dovey

Ignoramus21895 (in ) said:

| Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

If you don't use it, then it doesn't do you any good to keep it. In my
case, I'd give up almost any other saw in my shop before I gave up my
table saw.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Fred

"Ignoramus21895" wrote in message
I have an old heavy Sears tablesaw. Besides, I have a hand circular
saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, and a radial saw. The tablesaw takes
space in my garage and I have not used it in a while. I do not make
fancy things like furniture etc. Just crude stuff for my projects that
is of secondary nature (like an enclosure for a phase converter or a
doghouse for a generator).

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws. I suspect that the answer is
no. If so, perhaps I can sell the tablesaw and free up some space.

Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

That's the exact reverse for me where I use the table saw almost everyday
but hardly touch my radial arm saw. All that is I know is the tool that I
get rid off today or misplaced is the tool that I will need to buy
tomorrow - so I'm keeping everything and let the wife bitch until I built
the storage/shop in the backyard.

Prometheus

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:40:58 GMT, Ignoramus21895
wrote:

I have an old heavy Sears tablesaw. Besides, I have a hand circular
saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, and a radial saw. The tablesaw takes
space in my garage and I have not used it in a while. I do not make
fancy things like furniture etc. Just crude stuff for my projects that
is of secondary nature (like an enclosure for a phase converter or a
doghouse for a generator).

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws. I suspect that the answer is
no. If so, perhaps I can sell the tablesaw and free up some space.

Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

No, but it's usually a lot nicer than using the circular saw,
especially for ripping. If you've got one, it's worth hanging onto-
sure as anything, you'll need it the day after it leaves your garage.

Jim

"Ignoramus21895" wrote in message
I have an old heavy Sears tablesaw. Besides, I have a hand circular
saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, and a radial saw. The tablesaw takes
space in my garage and I have not used it in a while. I do not make
fancy things like furniture etc. Just crude stuff for my projects that
is of secondary nature (like an enclosure for a phase converter or a
doghouse for a generator).

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws. I suspect that the answer is
no. If so, perhaps I can sell the tablesaw and free up some space.

Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

If you need to ask, then you don't.
Jim

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ignoramus21895" wrote in message

I am afraid that I mis-named one of my tools. I do not have a radial
arm saw. What I have is a tilting saw like a cutoff saw, that can do
miters of various kinds. Good for cutting boards at angles.

That's a miter saw. Most are 10" or 12" blades.

I already have storage in my backyard... And my wife has been patient,
but her patience will run out one day!

Keep the saw trade the wife. Next year my wife will be 60 and I'll trade
her for two 30's.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Rob Mills

"Fred" wrote in message

I use the table saw almost everyday but hardly touch my radial arm saw.

I worked for a company (29 years) that sold both. Table saws out sold radial
arm saws to a point it wasn't even a race. The radial arm saws did beat out
the table saws in one area though, they beat the table saws back to the
service department for repairs, probably by a 100 to 1 ratio. RM~

PS, In all fairness, I will say that this was in the days before very many
direct drive table saws were sold. They probably evened up the score a tad.

Charles Krug

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:25:36 -0700, Fred wrote:

"Ignoramus21895" wrote in message

That's the exact reverse for me where I use the table saw almost everyday
but hardly touch my radial arm saw. All that is I know is the tool that I
get rid off today or misplaced is the tool that I will need to buy
tomorrow - so I'm keeping everything and let the wife bitch until I built
the storage/shop in the backyard.

I have access to both and use both.

TS excells for ripping, RAS for crosscutting, especially for repeating
complicated cuts.

If you have both, you'll use both.

If you have one or the other, you'll be prefectly happy, and doubtless
become a partisan for your prefered machine.

A RAS needs space along a wall, versus a TS needing space all around,
which is probably more important a consideration than any other for most
people.

Leon

"Charles Krug" wrote in message
I have access to both and use both.

TS excells for ripping, RAS for crosscutting, especially for repeating
complicated cuts.

If you have both, you'll use both.

My first large saw was a RAS. I used it for about 6 years amd built most of
the furniture in my house with it. Then I added a TS and never used the RAS
again. About 8 years later I added a CMS and used it untill I up graded to
a cabinet saw. I use the cabinet saw for everything now and seldom use the
CMS. More than anything I think the quality of the saw determines how much
you are going to use it. I have absolutely no problem making repeated exact
length cross cuts, miters, and compound miters hundreds of times with the TS
and a proper jig set up or sled.

Bob N

Excuse my ignorance, but what in tar nation is a "rotary phase converter" ?

"Ignoramus6689" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:35:17 GMT, Charles Krug

wrote:
[...]

I keep my tablesaw, turned sideways, on top of my homemade rotary
phase converter. It does not take as much space as it used to, because
it is stored more effectively now.

Charles Krug

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:52:28 GMT, Leon
wrote:

"Charles Krug" wrote in message
I have access to both and use both.

TS excells for ripping, RAS for crosscutting, especially for repeating
complicated cuts.

If you have both, you'll use both.

My first large saw was a RAS. I used it for about 6 years amd built most of
the furniture in my house with it. Then I added a TS and never used the RAS
again. About 8 years later I added a CMS and used it untill I up graded to
a cabinet saw. I use the cabinet saw for everything now and seldom use the
CMS. More than anything I think the quality of the saw determines how much
you are going to use it. I have absolutely no problem making repeated exact
length cross cuts, miters, and compound miters hundreds of times with the TS
and a proper jig set up or sled.

silly me assuming equal quality. The RASes I've used are old, solid
Craftman units from the '60s. The TS is similar vintage.

I've not seen any current production RAS that I'd buy apart from the
Delta 12" model the Borgs have for cutting millwork to size.

That model looks comparable to current Unisaw/Powermatic offerings, for
a price point in the same ballpark.

It's always been evident to me that building a usuable TS is a much
simpler matter than building a usuable RAS. The lack of the RAS
equivalent to a Grizzley contractor saw would seem to indicate that
manufacturers agree--though I've never seen DeWalt's (irrc) offering up
close.

I don't find ripping comfortable on an RAS, but my wife's uncle has only
a RAS and a miniscule shop and thinks I'm foolish for wanting a CS
rather than an RAS.

At a similar price point, the machines are more or less interchangable
and it comes down to preference.

Charles Krug

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:10:04 GMT, Ignoramus6689
wrote:

I've not seen any current production RAS that I'd buy apart from the
Delta 12" model the Borgs have for cutting millwork to size.

That model looks comparable to current Unisaw/Powermatic offerings, for
a price point in the same ballpark.

My table saw is an old Craftsman model with cast iron body and two big
wings.

The TS is an early '60's Craftsman with a cast iron top and a shop-made
roller stand. About the size/weight/motor of a modern contractor saw,
but only a 9" blade. The fence is fussy, but it stays in place once you
set it up. An outfeed table and you're in business.

Both RASes are late '60's vintage 10" models, and hold their adjustment
for literal YEARS, my usual victim in hobbyest use for my Dad and me,
SWMBO's uncle in moderate commercial use.

I'm still buying the 5HP Powermatic with my lottery winnings.

Lawrence Wasserman

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Leon

I don't find ripping comfortable on an RAS, but my wife's uncle has only
a RAS and a miniscule shop and thinks I'm foolish for wanting a CS
rather than an RAS.

Yeah, I hated ripping on a RAS also. I was not fond of ripping 2' and
shorter pieces on a RAS.

Ron Truitt

Have you tryed putting the table saw on a good mobile base and sticking
it as far against the wall as possible? This arrangement works for me
in my garage.

RonT

Fred

[...]

Since you don't have a RAS you may just want to keep the TS.

Guess who

wrote:

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws.

I watched my neighbour ripping some wood using his RAS. I gave him a
table saw + a 3/4HP motor from a recent yard sale + a carbide that
wouldn't suit my new saw. He still uses it, as well as his other
equipment.

I had sold my RAS for a song some time ago. Being a lefty, I found it
even more unsuitable for me, and with a daughter and granddaughter
have built a ton of stuff without it.

Phisherman

I suspect if you have not used it for a year, then you really don't
need one. An old Craftsman tablesaw, the really old ones, are not bad
machines. Personally, I think a table saw is the most useful power
tool in my shop. No other tool rips better than a table saw.

wrote:

I have an old heavy Sears tablesaw. Besides, I have a hand circular
saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, and a radial saw. The tablesaw takes
space in my garage and I have not used it in a while. I do not make
fancy things like furniture etc. Just crude stuff for my projects that
is of secondary nature (like an enclosure for a phase converter or a
doghouse for a generator).

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws. I suspect that the answer is
no. If so, perhaps I can sell the tablesaw and free up some space.

Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

Bob G.

So, what I am getting at is, are there any real life needs for a
tablesaw given that I have other saws. I suspect that the answer is
no. If so, perhaps I can sell the tablesaw and free up some space.

Any thoughts? Do I need a tablesaw?

=======================
From your comments I would say you really have no need for the
Tablesaw if you have not used it in a year your answered your own
question...

That Radial Arm saw takes up MORE room then the Table saw
I'd put the Tablesaw on a mobile base and sell or give away the Radial
Arm saw...

Every one of us have different needs..because we all make different
things... BUT I could NOT live without my Tablesaw(s)...

Just my 3 cents worth

Bopb G.