Dick Snyder

Default Looking for good book on wood finishing

I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying to
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example will
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with
Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal it.
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I
should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something first.

In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for now -
call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

WillR

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying=

to=20
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example w=

ill=20
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with =

Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal=

it.=20
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I =

should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something firs=

t.
=20
In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for n=

ow -=20
call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?
=20
TIA.
=20
Dick Snyder=20
=20
=20

Think I can recommend this book...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...3D1,190,43047=

Understanding Wood Finishing

Understanding Wood Finishing - Woodworking
by Bob Flexner

It seems to answer a lot of the questions that come up here.

FYI it points out that many of the beloved finishes that get rhapsodies=20
here are polymerized oils -- (plastics -- oh the horror of it all!)=20
things like BLO and Polymerized Tung oil... Geez no better than wipe on=20
poly -- grin

Polyurethane works great over stained cherry. G

Just duck if you mention here that you did so...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Patriarch

"Dick Snyder" wrote in
:

In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for
now - call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for
me?

Start with almost anything by Michael Dresdner, Jeff Jewitt or Bob Flexner.
Then read something by one of the others.

A library should do. Anything published in the last ten years will give
you a good start.

Patriarch
BillyBob

"WillR" wrote in message

Understanding Wood Finishing - Woodworking
by Bob Flexner

I second that motion!

Bob

Stephen M

Start with almost anything by Michael Dresdner, Jeff Jewitt or Bob

Flexner.
Then read something by one of the others.

A library should do. Anything published in the last ten years will give
you a good start.

Patriarch

I disagree *slightly* :-)

I own the suggested Flexner book. It is not a book that you want to borrow.
At $20, it is a book that you should own. It is the sort of book that you
will want to "go back and re-read the section on shellac" when you get the
hankering to try french polish, or whatever.

-Steve

nospambob

Sounds like words from another that has BTDT. Same applies to Tage
Frid Teaches Woodworking Books 1&2 for me. Was amazed at what I
missed the first couple of times!

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:00:49 -0400, "Stephen M"
wrote:

Start with almost anything by Michael Dresdner, Jeff Jewitt or Bob

Flexner.
Then read something by one of the others.

A library should do. Anything published in the last ten years will give
you a good start.

Patriarch

I disagree *slightly* :-)

I own the suggested Flexner book. It is not a book that you want to borrow.
At $20, it is a book that you should own. It is the sort of book that you
will want to "go back and re-read the section on shellac" when you get the
hankering to try french polish, or whatever.

-Steve

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:50:37 -0400, the opaque "Dick Snyder"
clearly wrote:

I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying to
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example will
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with
Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal it.
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I
should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something first.

In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for now -
call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes" is all the finishing book most
folks will ever need.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
Dick Snyder

Our local library system has one book by Flexner (Understanding
Woodfinishing), two by Jewitt, and one by Dresdner. I will borrow them
(thanks for the idea Patriarch) and see which I want to buy. Sounds like I
really can't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks for all your help. This newsgroup is excellent.

Dick Snyder

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying to
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example will
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with
Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal it.
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I
should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something first.

In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for
now - call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Barry Lennox

clearly wrote:

I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying to
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example will
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with
Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal it.
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I
should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something first.

In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for now -
call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes" is all the finishing book most
folks will ever need.

I agree, it's good, but I also get a lot of good info out of "Classic
Finishing Techniques" by Sam Allen. ISBN 0 8069 0513 1

Barry Lennox

### micro-FAQ on wood # 039 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 May 24th 05 10:18 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 020 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 September 24th 04 07:44 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 011 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 3rd 04 06:48 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 009 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 May 9th 04 09:42 PM