WillR

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying=

to=20
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example w=

ill=20
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with =

Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal=

it.=20
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I =

should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something firs=

t.
=20
In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for n=

ow -=20
call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?
=20
TIA.
=20
Dick Snyder=20
=20
=20

Think I can recommend this book...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...3D1,190,43047=

Understanding Wood Finishing

Understanding Wood Finishing - Woodworking
by Bob Flexner

It seems to answer a lot of the questions that come up here.

FYI it points out that many of the beloved finishes that get rhapsodies=20
here are polymerized oils -- (plastics -- oh the horror of it all!)=20
things like BLO and Polymerized Tung oil... Geez no better than wipe on=20
poly -- grin

Polyurethane works great over stained cherry. G

Just duck if you mention here that you did so...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw