Default Is 3/4 hp enough to resaw on a band saw?

I have an opportunity to get a used American-made Delta band saw (14"),
but it's only 3/4 hp.

I've never owned a band saw before, but would most likely use it to cut
curves and to resaw.

Can any band-saw owners out there tell me if this one would be strong
enough to git 'er dun?

Thanks in advance!

Roy Smith

In article k.net,
Steve Peterson wrote:
The more power you have, the faster you can cut, but 3/4 hp is enough.
Other factors are what kind of wood, how dry, condition of your blade.

I have resawn 6" oak on my 1/3 HP 1960's vintage 12" Sears BS. I have
to go painfully slow, but it works. I use a top-quality (Suffolk
Timberwolf) 3 tpi 1/2" blade. I'd love to have 3/4 HP on my saw!

When I got the saw, it was in pretty sorry shape, and I put some work
into fixing it up. Nothing I did to it made as much difference as
buying serious blades.

Jeff Cooper

Roy Smith wrote:
In article k.net,
Steve Peterson wrote:

The more power you have, the faster you can cut, but 3/4 hp is enough.
Other factors are what kind of wood, how dry, condition of your blade.

I have resawn 6" oak on my 1/3 HP 1960's vintage 12" Sears BS. I have
to go painfully slow, but it works. I use a top-quality (Suffolk
Timberwolf) 3 tpi 1/2" blade. I'd love to have 3/4 HP on my saw!

When I got the saw, it was in pretty sorry shape, and I put some work
into fixing it up. Nothing I did to it made as much difference as
buying serious blades.

I've got a newer Craftsman BS (circa mid 1990's) and I burned out it's
motor while resawing some birch boards. I belive it was a 3/4 hp. I
wasn't watching the motor temp and it overheated and got the starting
cap hot enought to melt something out of it and into the motor windings.

I upgraded to a 1.5 hp motor that I found at Fleet Farm for about $190
and now it saws like a dream. I can go through 6" White Oak about as
fast as I want to push it into it. It's easily 3x faster to saw a given
length of board.

I agree with Roy, use Timberwolf blades, they rock!

Jeff
Phil at small (vs at large)

I resurrected a really old Craftsman BS a number of years ago-(made by
yates, I think) 16" with aluminum wheels that had to be re-welded &
balanced. I use it almost exclusively for resawing. The tires wore out
on it and I never replaced them-- I also use a 3 tpi blade, but I think
it is a starrett. (had it welded up a few years back) It has a 1/3 hp
motor. The saw has a really heavy cast iron flywheel underneath-( I
suspect this was once a variable speed saw, as it has a tensioning
handle on the side which raises & lowers the motor mount) - Once it
starts going, it's hard to slow down. I use it for Oak, locust, maple,
walnut & some other softer woods. To answer your question --3/4 is
most likely powerful enough for your needs. If not -- as in you have
to go r e a l l y slow( & without the addition af a flywheel) larger
used motors are available. I recently found a 3/4 hp for my
resurrected jointer in Sherman, TX for around 50 bucks. Look in the
yellow pages under motors- used.