Peter DiVergilio

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
Peter DiVergilio wrote:

where access is through a removable plate, it's the
easiest tool to use which will not bend things out of whack.

I've been looking at old plans of automobile engines of that time, with
flat head (hanging valves; if you also use this expression). I think we
are talking about the same type of construction.

And here comes the point where things get at least strange:
- Hold the tool so, that the lower fork touches the spring retainer from
the underside. That's OK. Now (practically, the other way round is/was
better) you have to force and wag the upper fork between spring (under
tension!) and valve head.
- Do you think that this is an intelligent way if you consider what for
the spring is compressed. Yes, to remove the valve. Now we do have to
look way back to the early days of 4 strokes and see how valves were
inserted. In T-heads (a sub kind of flat heads) there was a big plug
opposide of the valve throug what the valve could be pulled out without
removing the head. Now wouldn't it be much cleverer to open that plug
and use a C-clamp spring compressor?
If you talk about flatheads without that plug, things don't change,
because the head is removed and you can easily use the C-clamp
compressor.

Sorry if I haven't explained it so you can visualize what I mean!!

Hope you could visualize what I meant. :-)

I'd also like to know where your knowledge is from that this tools is
for compressing automobile valve springs.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

I worked as a mechanic from 1962 -1980, in various dealerships (mostly GM)
and in my own Gas Station - was one of the first in NH to pass the SASE
Certification tests as a Master Mechanic (don't think we called it that at
the time - just had a shirtsleeve full of patches by the time it was all
over). I was a drag racer (AA Fuel), a hot rodder (41 Ford Pickup with a
Buick engine was my favorite), an antique car enthusiast (37 Buicks were a
particular passion), A collector of hand tools (they just seemed to
multiply), and spent most of my waking hours doing something to cars and
boats.
Having said all that, I was introduced to this particular tool by a fellow
mechanic who explained its' use to me. I have never personally used one or
owned one.
With the head still in place, however, you could replace either a broken
spring or a leaky valve guide seal, usually after applying air to the
cylinder through the spark plug hole with an adapter to keep the valve
seated. On overhead engines , of course, there are simple lever type tools
to do that.
Hope this helps!

Norman D. Crow

"Tom" wrote in message
Dale Scroggins wrote:

Tom wrote:
Dale Scroggins wrote:

Tom wrote:

Dale Scroggins wrote:

Tom wrote:

Dale Scroggins wrote:

Now gentlemen, let's play nicely. Here's one that specifies "for small
engines"

http://www.handsontools.com/store-products-Engine-Exhaust-Service--Repair-Tools-Compressors-KDT379-font-color=redbKD-Tools-Valve-Spring-Compressor-for-Small-Engines-b-font_24130.html

I don't doubt the knowledge or experience of any of the posters. Have some
knowledge and experience myself. There were a LOT of different designs tried
for valve spring compressors before the "C-clamp" type were developed, and
the c-clamp type only work with the head removed. I've used one similar to
the on posted by RH and similar to the one in the URL above for replacing
valve seals on overhead engines, holding the valve closed with an "air hold"
or another trick, stuffing some clothesline rope into the sparkplug hole,
then manually turn the engine until the piston squeezes the rope into the
top of the cylinder & holds the valve shut. Let's face it, there are lots of
different ways to accomplish things, and ingenuity was the order of the day
long before the tool manufacturers became so prolific with different
designs.

I think most of us are agreed that the pictured item has something to do
with valve springs, whether compressing or merely "holding" as Mr. Scroggins
says. Beyond that, it's all rhetoric.

My $.25

--
Nahmie