JAKE

Default Mitre question???

I want to make an 8 sided table top. What would he mitre angle be for
the skirting?

David

JAKE wrote:
I want to make an 8 sided table top. What would he mitre angle be for
the skirting?

Tell me you are kidding.

Dave
Leon

"JAKE" wrote in message
I want to make an 8 sided table top. What would he mitre angle be for
the skirting?

22.5

John \The Toymaker\ Gilham

Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6 sides....360(for
the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for sixth side) add
up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of sides....720/6
=120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60 degrees.

Now let's try it on the 8 sided table.

360 for the square + 180 + 180 + 180 + 180 + 1080

1080/8= 135
135/2=67.5 degrees If you flipp the board over it equals 22.5 degrees.
"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"JAKE" wrote in message
I want to make an 8 sided table top. What would he mitre angle be for
the skirting?

22.5

Leon

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message
Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6
sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for sixth
side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of
sides....720/6 =120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60
degrees.

Now let's try it on the 8 sided table.

360 for the square + 180 + 180 + 180 + 180 + 1080

1080/8= 135
135/2=67.5 degrees If you flipp the board over it equals 22.5 degrees.

Geez you made that complicated. The simple equation to any sided table is
simply take the number of sides multiply by 2 and divide that number in to
360. Period.

More simply put, 360 divided by double the sides.

360/(4 sides x 2) = 45
360/(8 sides x 2) = 22.5
360/(60 sides x 2) = 3

Leon

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message
Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6
sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for sixth
side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of
sides....720/6 =120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60
degrees.

Wrong

A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) = 30

David

Leon wrote:

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message

Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6
sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for sixth
side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of
sides....720/6 =120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60
degrees.

Wrong

A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) = 30

I'm not sure which is more intriguing: the fact that the question was
brought up by a "woodworker", or the confusion it has engendered in this
thread...

Dave
gw

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message
Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6
sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for

sixth
side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of
sides....720/6 =120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60
degrees.

Wrong

A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) = 30

180 / (number of sides) has always worked for me. What's with all the
complicated equations??

John

If the table top is accurately cut, then 22.5degrees

John

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:22:14 -0400, (JAKE) wrote:

I want to make an 8 sided table top. What would he mitre angle be for
the skirting?

Guess who

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:03:40 -0400, "gw" wrote:

180 / (number of sides) has always worked for me. What's with all the
complicated equations??

That will work. The math is how to get there.

Secret Squirrel

"Leon" wrote in
:

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message
Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6
sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for
sixth side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of
sides....720/6 =120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60
degrees.

Wrong

A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) = 30

Which of course is the same thing. 30 and 60 degree angles are
complimentary.
Duane Bozarth

Secret Squirrel wrote:
Which of course is the same thing. 30 and 60 degree angles are
complimentary.

And on top of liking each other, they're "complementary" in forming a
right angle...

Duane Bozarth

Secret Squirrel wrote:

22.5 and 67.5 are complimentary angles. ...

You've the wrong "compliment" here (BTW, I didn't post until after I
read the second time, just to be sure...).

Angles are "complementary", we give each other "compliments" for good
work, etc., ...
PDQ

"gw" wrote in message =
|=20
| "Leon" wrote in message
| . ..
|
| "John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message
| Here is the way to figure any of these questions
|
| For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6
| sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 =
(for
| sixth
| side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =3D720 Now divide by number of
| sides....720/6 =3D120...divide 120 in half because you are =
mitering 60
| degrees.
|
| Wrong
|
| A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) =
=3D 30

|=20
| 180 / (number of sides) has always worked for me. What's with all the
| complicated equations??
|=20
|=20

Rube Goldberg ring a bell???

--=20
PDQ

Leon

"Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
. 97.131...
"Leon" wrote in
:

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message

Which of course is the same thing. 30 and 60 degree angles are
complimentary.

Actually you probably are not going to find a 60 degree setting on any saw.
So uh you would set to 30 degrees.

Leon

"Secret Squirrel" wrote in message

Which as I mentioned to another poster is the same thing.
22.5 and 67.5 are complimentary angles. It's just a matter of which side
of the line you're cutting.

And I will mention again that you will not find 67.6 degrees on your saw.

Leon

"gw" wrote in message

180 / (number of sides) has always worked for me. What's with all the
complicated equations??

That will work also but for me it is easier to remember 360 as that forms a
complete circle vs. a straight line. Actually 360 divided by the total
number of cuts works also.

CW

Gotta hand it to you, you sure know how to make things complicated.
"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message
Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6

sides....360(for
the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for sixth side) add
up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of sides....720/6
=120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60 degrees.

Now let's try it on the 8 sided table.

360 for the square + 180 + 180 + 180 + 180 + 1080

1080/8= 135
135/2=67.5 degrees If you flipp the board over it equals 22.5 degrees.

via Encryption =----

Secret Squirrel

"Leon" wrote in
m:

"Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
. 97.131...
"Leon" wrote in
:

"John "The Toymaker" Gilham" wrote in message

Which of course is the same thing. 30 and 60 degree angles are
complimentary.

Actually you probably are not going to find a 60 degree setting on any
saw. So uh you would set to 30 degrees.

of course not. The point was that someone, I'm not sure who, said that
the math was wrong. The math was absolutely correct. Understanding that
30 and 60 degree angles are complementary is necesarry for practical
application, but doesn't make his original statement incorrect.
Leon

"Secret Squirrel" wrote in message
. 97.131...

of course not. The point was that someone, I'm not sure who, said that
the math was wrong. The math was absolutely correct. Understanding that
30 and 60 degree angles are complementary is necesarry for practical
application, but doesn't make his original statement incorrect.

Well in one of his examples his math was wrong.

He went on to give another examples of
Now let's try it on the 8 sided table.

360 for the square + 180 + 180 + 180 + 180 + 1080

1080/8= 135
135/2=67.5 degrees If you flipp the board over it equals 22.5 degrees.

That does not add up. He adds 360+180+180+180+180+1080 which would normally
= 2160 not 1080.

A reasonable person would gibe an answer to the saw setting to come up with
the end result. He simply made this way too complicated for some one that
could not determine the answer in the first place. Typically and or at
least I was always taught to make the equasion as simple as possible. Why
not use a formula that gives the angle setting found on the saw?

Oldun

Why not just divide 360 by the number of sides. This gives you the angle of
each joint. Mitre each side joint at half this angle and assemble.

8 sides = 360/8=45
45/2=22.5

There, just mitre at 22.5 degrees.

Oldun

Leon

"Oldun" wrote in message
Why not just divide 360 by the number of sides. This gives you the angle
of
each joint. Mitre each side joint at half this angle and assemble.

8 sides = 360/8=45
45/2=22.5

There, just mitre at 22.5 degrees.

Oldun

If you read higher up in the thread I made that same BASIC suggestion a few
days back. Actually I divide the sides by the number of end cuts needed.

More simply put, 360 divided by double the sides.

360/(4 sides x 2 end cuts) = 45
360/(8 sides x 2 end cuts) = 22.5
360/(60 sides x 2 end cuts) = 3

Odinn

On 7/24/2005 9:58 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Oldun" wrote in message

Why not just divide 360 by the number of sides. This gives you the angle
of
each joint. Mitre each side joint at half this angle and assemble.

8 sides = 360/8=45
45/2=22.5

There, just mitre at 22.5 degrees.

Oldun

If you read higher up in the thread I made that same BASIC suggestion a few
days back. Actually I divide the sides by the number of end cuts needed.

More simply put, 360 divided by double the sides.

360/(4 sides x 2 end cuts) = 45
360/(8 sides x 2 end cuts) = 22.5
360/(60 sides x 2 end cuts) = 3

This only works with shapes of 4 or more sides, it doesn't work for a
triangle.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Unquestionably Confused

Odinn wrote:

If you read higher up in the thread I made that same BASIC suggestion
a few days back. Actually I divide the sides by the number of end
cuts needed.

More simply put, 360 divided by double the sides.

360/(4 sides x 2 end cuts) = 45
360/(8 sides x 2 end cuts) = 22.5
360/(60 sides x 2 end cuts) = 3

This only works with shapes of 4 or more sides, it doesn't work for a
triangle.

Actually it ONLY works for equilateral triangles and REGULAR polygons.

Try your method or his (same thing really) on a parallelogram, trapezoid
or rhombus and get back to us.

Odinn

On 7/24/2005 10:45 AM Unquestionably Confused mumbled something about
the following:
Odinn wrote:

If you read higher up in the thread I made that same BASIC suggestion
a few days back. Actually I divide the sides by the number of end
cuts needed.

More simply put, 360 divided by double the sides.

360/(4 sides x 2 end cuts) = 45
360/(8 sides x 2 end cuts) = 22.5
360/(60 sides x 2 end cuts) = 3

This only works with shapes of 4 or more sides, it doesn't work for a
triangle.

Actually it ONLY works for equilateral triangles and REGULAR polygons.

Try your method or his (same thing really) on a parallelogram, trapezoid
or rhombus and get back to us.

Okay

360 / (3 x 2) = 60
An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles. I must not be getting it,
because I can't seem to match 2 60 degree angles and end up with a 60
degree angle.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message
On 7/24/2005 9:58 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

This only works with shapes of 4 or more sides, it doesn't work for a
triangle.

It certainly does work with a triangle. However you will be hard pressed to
find a saw that will cut at 60 degrees. The solution if using a TS would be
to set the saw at 30 degrees and put the board on end and run through the
saw.

Leon

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. ..

Actually it ONLY works for equilateral triangles and REGULAR polygons.

How do you define REGULAR polygons?

Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message

360 / (3 x 2) = 60
An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles. I must not be getting it,
because I can't seem to match 2 60 degree angles and end up with a 60
degree angle.

An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles at the end of each peice.
That is because you end up with a 120 degree angle when matching up 2 60
degree angles. Add 3 120 degree angles up and you get 360 degrees. An
equilateral triangle.

Odinn

On 7/24/2005 10:58 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

360 / (3 x 2) = 60
An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles. I must not be getting it,
because I can't seem to match 2 60 degree angles and end up with a 60
degree angle.

An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles at the end of each peice.
That is because you end up with a 120 degree angle when matching up 2 60
degree angles. Add 3 120 degree angles up and you get 360 degrees. An
equilateral triangle.

and how do I come up with 120 degrees? 360 ( 3 sides X 2) is the
equation we were using doesn't come up with 120.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

How do you define REGULAR polygons?

There is only one definition: all angles in a REGULAR polygon are equal.

The sum of the _exterior_ angles of ANY polygon is 360 degrees.

The sum of the _interior_ angles of ANY polygon = 180° (n-2) where
n=number of sides

There shouldn't be much more any one needs. LOL

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05

Unquestionably Confused

Leon wrote:
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. ..

Actually it ONLY works for equilateral triangles and REGULAR polygons.

How do you define REGULAR polygons?

sides all equal length and angles all the same. Rectangle would also fit
here even though the sides differ so _I_ would define a rectangle with
its 90 degree corners as a regular polygon but that might be stretching it.

Also, an "Oops, my bad" is owed to Odinn. I got hung up on the angle
feature and what I was thinking was equilateral triangle, three equal
angles, divide them by 2 and that's your cut. Won't work on any other
triangle AFAIK.

None of the methods discussed here will work on parallelograms,
trapezoids, or rhombi (sp?)

Unquestionably Confused

Leon wrote:
"Odinn" wrote in message

360 / (3 x 2) = 60
An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles. I must not be getting it,
because I can't seem to match 2 60 degree angles and end up with a 60
degree angle.

An equilateral triangle has 60 degree angles at the end of each peice.
That is because you end up with a 120 degree angle when matching up 2 60
degree angles. Add 3 120 degree angles up and you get 360 degrees. An
equilateral triangle.

No, Odinn's right. ANY triangle is a three-sided polygon. The sum of
the angles of a triangle is 180 degrees.

The END of each side of an equilateral triangle is a 30 degree angle
which meets another 30 degree angle to come up with 60 degrees.

I'm not Unquestionably Confused for nuttin' g
Leon

How do you define REGULAR polygons?

sides all equal length and angles all the same. Rectangle would also fit
here even though the sides differ so _I_ would define a rectangle with its
90 degree corners as a regular polygon but that might be stretching it.

Ok that is not correct in reference to the equasion only working on Regular
polygons. All sides do have to be equal angles but all pieces DO NOT have
to be the same length.
With the formula that I use all pieces do not have to be the same length.
All parallel pieces have to be equal length.

Also, an "Oops, my bad" is owed to Odinn. I got hung up on the angle
feature and what I was thinking was equilateral triangle, three equal
angles, divide them by 2 and that's your cut. Won't work on any other
triangle AFAIK.

I agree.

Leon

"Odinn" wrote in message

and how do I come up with 120 degrees? 360 ( 3 sides X 2) is the equation
we were using doesn't come up with 120.

Well. I will admit that it does become a bit tricky at this point. Because
most saws will not tilt the blades much past 45 degrees, a 60 degree bevel
has to be accomplished by rotating the board 90 degrees and has it to be cut
at the 30 degree setting. This leaves you with a complimentary result angle
of 60 degrees. I'll post a PDF file to alt.binaries. picture.woodworking
with a CAD drawing of the set up and how the angles are "conjured up".

Leon

No, Odinn's right. ANY triangle is a three-sided polygon. The sum of the
angles of a triangle is 180 degrees.

Yes I agree to a point. My formula of dividing the total number of cut, "2
on each end of 3 pieces" into 360 still works on a triangle but the set up
on the saw has to be bit different since a TS will not tilt its blade 60
degrees in relation to the fence. You have to rotate the piece of wood to
be parallel to the fence and the 30 degree setting on the bevel will give
you a complementary 60 degree angle result. If the blade would tilt to 60
degrees in relation to the fence you could cut it in the traditional mannor.

The END of each side of an equilateral triangle is a 30 degree angle which
meets another 30 degree angle to come up with 60 degrees.

Correct but again my formula works for the saw bevel setting or perceived
saw bevel setting. Since the saw will not tilt past 45 degrees you have to
rotate the board parallel with the fence to end up with what the same angle
that the saw would cut if it could tilt to 60 degrees during a normal
setting with the work laying flat on the TS top.
I posted a CAD drawing in PDF format to a.b.p.w. You will have to open the
file to see the drawing.

Unquestionably Confused

Leon wrote:

sides all equal length and angles all the same. Rectangle would also fit
here even though the sides differ so _I_ would define a rectangle with its
90 degree corners as a regular polygon but that might be stretching it.

Ok that is not correct in reference to the equasion only working on Regular
polygons. All sides do have to be equal angles but all pieces DO NOT have
to be the same length.

But if you have a polygon (more than four sides), how can you have equal
angles AND differing sides. I submit that you can't.

Imagine a pentagon with four sides being 2' long and 1 side 3' long.
Show me the equal anglesg

With the formula that I use all pieces do not have to be the same length.
All parallel pieces have to be equal length.

Okay. With this one, assume it's a parallelogram. Four sides are
parallel (by definition) with the opposing side. Angles differ on two
corners.