Geo

Default Band Saw wobble??

I have a Ridgid BS1400 that I bought a couple of months ago, but used
sparingly until recently. Having recently set it up, tuned it, put
riser block in I have a problem with the saw wobbling, as opposed to
simple vibration, during re-saw operations - particularly on larger
pieces, say 8 inches or more. When it runs full speed it sounds fine,
but when I start cutting, and if the piece tends to slow the motor and
blade down, there is a serious wobble. I've looked at the alignment of
the wheels and they appear to be in order. The only thing I can think
of is that it's the motor, but I can't identify for certain if that is
the problem. Anyone have this happen? At this point I'm looking for
solutions, other than replacing the saw. Thanks.

Geo

Duane Bozarth

Geo wrote:

...have a problem with the saw wobbling, as opposed to
simple vibration, during re-saw operations ...

I don't know what "wobbling" is...what moves in what direction wrt to
what?

That said, I suspect one of two causes (although may be something else
depending on answer to above question I'll hazard a guess)--

1. Not enough tension for such a heavy operation (and quite possibly the
saw is incapable of it--I don't recall the review comments regarding the
Ridgid)

2. The arms/riser simply aren't stiff enough and flex...

Patriarch

"Geo" wrote in news:1121348496.795488.124420
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I have a Ridgid BS1400 that I bought a couple of months ago, but used
sparingly until recently. Having recently set it up, tuned it, put
riser block in I have a problem with the saw wobbling, as opposed to
simple vibration, during re-saw operations - particularly on larger
pieces, say 8 inches or more. When it runs full speed it sounds fine,
but when I start cutting, and if the piece tends to slow the motor and
blade down, there is a serious wobble. I've looked at the alignment of
the wheels and they appear to be in order. The only thing I can think
of is that it's the motor, but I can't identify for certain if that is
the problem. Anyone have this happen? At this point I'm looking for
solutions, other than replacing the saw. Thanks.

I have a larger, steel-framed Jet saw. The difference that a good, SHARP,
purpose designed resaw blade will make in this operation is amazing.

I'm using a blade from Hastings Saw in Rohnert Park, CA. Thin kerf, 3/4
variable tpi, similar geometry to the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware.
Buy several, because they dull, and you're back to struggling.

My only other comment is that this operation is really near the limits of
your saw...

Patriarch
George

"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Ridgid BS1400 that I bought a couple of months ago, but used
sparingly until recently. Having recently set it up, tuned it, put
riser block in I have a problem with the saw wobbling, as opposed to
simple vibration, during re-saw operations - particularly on larger
pieces, say 8 inches or more. When it runs full speed it sounds fine,
but when I start cutting, and if the piece tends to slow the motor and
blade down, there is a serious wobble. I've looked at the alignment of
the wheels and they appear to be in order. The only thing I can think
of is that it's the motor, but I can't identify for certain if that is
the problem. Anyone have this happen? At this point I'm looking for
solutions, other than replacing the saw. Thanks.

Geo

Define.

Upper portion gets closer to lower portion periodically? Lack of (sorry)
Ridgidity. Too much stress which might be helped by a better blade.

Blade surging fore and aft? Tracking adjustment. May need to go back to
coplaner to get all the push you need. Tension might help, too.

Blade flexing and slapping? More tension.

Or, Polack slap on forhead - might be the pulley(s) are loose.

mac davis

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:49:28 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Geo wrote:

...have a problem with the saw wobbling, as opposed to
simple vibration, during re-saw operations ...

I don't know what "wobbling" is...what moves in what direction wrt to
what?

That said, I suspect one of two causes (although may be something else
depending on answer to above question I'll hazard a guess)--

1. Not enough tension for such a heavy operation (and quite possibly the
saw is incapable of it--I don't recall the review comments regarding the
Ridgid)

2. The arms/riser simply aren't stiff enough and flex...

Having the same saw, with the riser block, I'd guess he means #2..

I used to think it was my Imagination, but I've now verified (by asking folks to
watch and tell me if I'm seeing mirages) that when I'm sawing wet bowl blanks
and the saw slows down, the upper guides and roller get closer to the wood...
when I let it build up speed, it goes back up...
My guess is that if you were feeding at irregular speeds or something, it could
start bouncing???

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Geo wrote:

[...]

Be my guess, too...I think he's "over-expecting" what that saw can
reasonably be expected to do. As somebody else noted it's possible a
really high quality blade specifically for resawing will help, but it's
a stretch to resaw 8" stock w/ that saw.
gw

"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Ridgid BS1400 that I bought a couple of months ago, but used
sparingly until recently. Having recently set it up, tuned it, put
riser block in I have a problem with the saw wobbling, as opposed to
simple vibration, during re-saw operations - particularly on larger
pieces, say 8 inches or more. When it runs full speed it sounds fine,
but when I start cutting, and if the piece tends to slow the motor and
blade down, there is a serious wobble. I've looked at the alignment of
the wheels and they appear to be in order. The only thing I can think
of is that it's the motor, but I can't identify for certain if that is
the problem. Anyone have this happen? At this point I'm looking for
solutions, other than replacing the saw. Thanks.

Geo

I have the same saw, and I had what may be a similar problem. Perhaps some
of these ideas will help...

Although the wheels on mine were co-planar right out of the box, they were
horribly out of balance. This only appeared at certain RPM's during startup
and shutdown, or if I bogged the saw (resawing 4" stock). I had to drill
about 20 holes in the webbing of the bottom wheel to get it close to
balanced. After that, I still had the vibration (I'm guessing it was an
oscillation of about 2-3 Hz if you want to call that a wobble). The large
pulley on the lower wheel is cast aluminum and mine was bored off-center by
about 1/16".

I couldn't find a pulley locally of the proper size, so I replace the motor
with a 3450 RPM 1 HP motor I had and adjusted both pulley sizes to increase
the blade speed to approx. 3300 fpm. I think stock is about 2700. I used
high quality pulleys and a link belt. It cuts like a completely different
saw now.

mac davis

wrote:

Geo wrote:

[...]

I do 8 -11 stock on mine, but I'm going really, really slow to keep rpm up and
not expecting a quality cut... sometimes, it's just too damn hot outside to use
the chainsaw so I cut blanks with the BS...

I use good quality 5/8" 3 tpi blades and know that I'm beyond the real (as
opposed to Rigid's specs) limits of the saw... bit it does what I need it to in
a fairly safe manner...
I work with pine and fir and still wouldn't try for a quality resaw on more than
5 or 6" stock...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Geo

gw wrote:
"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You have described my saw problem to a tee. Sounds like there mught be
an inherent problem with this model. Thanks for the information.

mac davis

On 15 Jul 2005 06:26:39 -0700, "Geo" wrote:

gw wrote:
"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don't over look the other folks suggestion, though...
I check the tracking on my saw with it running and both doors open, and have
never been able to see or feel an wobble or out of balance wheels..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
John Dill

Geo wrote:

gw wrote:

"Geo" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Did you check to see if the pulley nuts were tight? just a thought...

blade wobble Justa Beginner Woodworking 17 July 4th 05 08:37 PM
Ceiling fan wobble M&K Home Repair 11 March 7th 05 11:15 PM
Tablesaw problems (A long one) Chris Woodworking 7 February 17th 05 10:14 AM
photo of Gorton 9J mill with wobble table Uncle Lucky Metalworking 0 July 29th 04 05:18 PM
Spindle wobble... Todd Rearick Metalworking 9 September 8th 03 04:14 PM