Ken Vaughn

Default Shop Panorama

I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Lee Michaels

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
ink.net...
I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Obviously a fake.

No shop I have ever seen is that CLEAN!!

Good lookin' shop there Ken. I was going to ask about the lack of a
tablesaw until I read your explanation.

A couple of questions. Why all the metal drawers? Do they work well for
you?

Also, is that a glass fronted cabinet above the bench in the middle of this
picture. Or are the tools in the open?

Ken Vaughn

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

A couple of questions. Why all the metal drawers? Do they work well for
you?

Drawers are essential in a small shop -- I have dozens of them. My
workbench has 16, the cabinet next to it has 10, a storage unit under the
table saw has several more. The metal cabinets at the rear of the shop
contain parts, screws, nails, fasteners, and much more. They are very
convenient and sawdust free.

Also, is that a glass fronted cabinet above the bench in the middle of
this picture. Or are the tools in the open?

No glass on that cabinet. It stores hand tools. It is shown in more detail
on the shop storage page on my website, but here are a few links:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_front.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...et_chisels.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_gouges.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_left.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/cabinet_right.jpg

Ken

Brian Siano

Ken Vaughn wrote:

I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

I envy you. Mine's in a basement. Nice place to work, mate.
RonB

Pretty darned neat picture. And your shop makes me envious. Not only is it
nicely laid out and equipped, it is CLEAN.

RonB

Paul O.

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
ink.net...
I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Great looking shop. Hard to believe that you could get it that clean. That
curved workbench is sooo kool :-)
--
Paul O.

Odinn

On 7/11/2005 12:39 PM Ken Vaughn mumbled something about the following:
I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Okay, you have entirely too much space available there.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
John B

Ken Vaughn wrote:
I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Great Shed and nicely set out.
Hard to believe any work gets done in there though, it's so bloody clean
I can't even remember the colour of my floor
"A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind" Wonder if this applies to
workshops (Kidding).
All bull**** aside, it's a great set-up.
All the best
John
Nate Perkins

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in
ink.net:

I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it
was all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website
using MS Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Wow, nice shop. Definitely qualifies as a gloat.

I took a look at the rest of your shop site as well. I love the shopmade
plow plane. And that's a darned nice Norris A5. :-P

Out of curiosity ... on your plane storage cabinet, is there anything that
locks the planes in place, or do they just tilt on the end? I was
wondering since I was thinking of building something similar ... was trying
to figure out whether they needed to be clamped at the toe.
Ken Vaughn

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
. 125.201...
I took a look at the rest of your shop site as well. I love the shopmade
plow plane. And that's a darned nice Norris A5. :-P

Thnaks for the kind words. The Norris is definitely a keeper, and so is the
woman who gave it to me! grin

Out of curiosity ... on your plane storage cabinet, is there anything that
locks the planes in place, or do they just tilt on the end? I was
wondering since I was thinking of building something similar ... was
trying
to figure out whether they needed to be clamped at the toe.

The wall mounted plane storage cabinet is 5" deep with a 1/2" back, so the
slots are 4 1/2" deep. There is a retainer strip at the bottom of each slot
which holds the Bailey planes at an angle -- the heel of the plane rests
against the back of the strip and the toe of the plane against the back of
the cabinet. On some of the smaller planes (#2, #3, #4, and #40 scrub
planes) I had to cut a round cutout in the strip so that the bottom of the
tote could fit into the cutout and allow the heel to bottom out. This keeps
all the metal planes in the cabinet very secure, however, I also store a few
wooden planes in the cabinet and they are less secure because of the shape
of the heel, so I put a few wooden tabs on the sides of the slot sides to
hold the plane in the slot. If you look closely at the photo you can see
these tabs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/plane_storage.jpg

Ken

mac davis

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:39:33 GMT, "Ken Vaughn" wrote:

I cleaned and organized my shop over the weekend. I thought while it was
all clean I would do a panoramic view of the shop for my website using MS
Digital Image Pro. If you have nothing better to do:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/panorama.html

Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

That's AMAZING, Ken!
It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site pictures, and
that was getting a little anal.. *g*

Are you planning on doing surgery or micro-chip work in there, or did you get a
new insurance policy.. lol
Mac
03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer
replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer
99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Ken Vaughn

"mac davis" wrote in message
That's AMAZING, Ken!
It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site pictures,
and
that was getting a little anal.. *g*

Aw, take it easy guys -- it's not that clean. Selective camera position can
make things look better than they really are -- ask any Playboy
photographer!

Unquestionably Confused

on 7/12/2005 12:20 PM Ken Vaughn said the following:
"mac davis" wrote in message

That's AMAZING, Ken!
It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site pictures,
and
that was getting a little anal.. *g*

Aw, take it easy guys -- it's not that clean. Selective camera position can
make things look better than they really are -- ask any Playboy
photographer!

My shop is close to yours in size and I couldn't fit the damn tripod in
my to take the panoramic.

Nice shop, Ken. And did anyone compliment you on how neat and clean it was?

#3, #4, and #40 scrub planes) I had to cut a round cutout in the strip
so that the bottom of the tote could fit into the cutout and allow the
heel to bottom out. This keeps all the metal planes in the cabinet
very secure, however, I also store a few wooden planes in the cabinet
and they are less secure because of the shape of the heel, so I put a
few wooden tabs on the sides of the slot sides to hold the plane in
the slot. If you look closely at the photo you can see these tabs.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/plane_storage.jpg

Ken, I see only one major problem with that beautiful and functional plane
cabinet.

It's full. Where do the next ones go?

Patriarch,
fellow hand plane addict, with two additions to the herd in the last 4
weeks...
Ken Vaughn

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Ken, I see only one major problem with that beautiful and functional plane
cabinet.

It's full. Where do the next ones go?

There are two or three in the cabinet which don't need to be there -- sort
of place keepers if you will. And believe me, I could make room for that #1
if I found one I could afford. It's way too small for my hands, but it
would be nice to complete the set. I was in a used tool shop last fall
which actually had 3 for sale, if you can image that. For those who don't
follow hand tools -- a #1 in good shape can bring $1200 to $1500. Saw one
for $600 last year, but not in the kind of shape I would like to have.

Most of my planes are in the cabinet with 10 drawers next to my bench, BTW.
For example:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ned_drawer.jpg

Only bench planes are kept in the wall mounted plane storage cabinet.

Ken

Patriarch

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in
ink.net:

"Patriarch" wrote in message
[...]

I surrender. You win. ;-)

Patriarch
Nate Perkins

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in
ink.net:

#3, #4, and #40 scrub planes) I had to cut a round cutout in the strip
so that the bottom of the tote could fit into the cutout and allow the
heel to bottom out. This keeps all the metal planes in the cabinet
very secure, however, I also store a few wooden planes in the cabinet
and they are less secure because of the shape of the heel, so I put a
few wooden tabs on the sides of the slot sides to hold the plane in
the slot. If you look closely at the photo you can see these tabs.

Hi Ken,

I see the little tabs now. That's a good idea. I think I will recycle it
:-)

Thank you for the information, and thanks for the great website.

Nate

mac davis

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:20:44 GMT, "Ken Vaughn" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
That's AMAZING, Ken!
It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site pictures,
and
that was getting a little anal.. *g*

Aw, take it easy guys -- it's not that clean. Selective camera position can
make things look better than they really are -- ask any Playboy
photographer!

We all just have shop envy, Ken...

And tool envy, of course....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lee Michaels

"mac davis" commented

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:20:44 GMT, "Ken Vaughn"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
. ..
That's AMAZING, Ken!
It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site
pictures,
and
that was getting a little anal.. *g*

Aw, take it easy guys -- it's not that clean. Selective camera position
can
make things look better than they really are -- ask any Playboy
photographer!

We all just have shop envy, Ken...

And tool envy, of course....

Well, now that you mention it, why didn't Ken put some hot nude babes all
over the equipment and benches??

Was he holding out on us?

Robatoy

In article ,
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

why didn't Ken put some hot nude babes all
over the equipment and benches??

Who'd notice?

Robatoy

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

[snip]

I surrender. You win. ;-)

Patriarch

LOL..very funny....

----------

*Tips hat* to Ken. Nice layout and collection. Looks functional too!
You should be very proud.

(I am only admitting to a wee bit of envy)
mac davis

"mac davis" commented

wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
That's AMAZING, Ken!
It's even cleaner than when you went through it for the web site
pictures,
and
that was getting a little anal.. *g*

Aw, take it easy guys -- it's not that clean. Selective camera position
can
make things look better than they really are -- ask any Playboy
photographer!

We all just have shop envy, Ken...

And tool envy, of course....

Well, now that you mention it, why didn't Ken put some hot nude babes all
over the equipment and benches??

Was he holding out on us?

I think it was an act of mercy... Ken figured that the shop, tools and how clean
everything looked was already enough to put most of us over the edge...

I'd love to actually visit Ken's shop someday... I've already built so many of
his jigs and things that I feel like I have a little bit of his shop here.. *g*