Bob in Oregon

Default Bike Service Station ?

Hello,

I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not
parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine.
When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike
service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have
these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

Thanks in Advance

Andy

Check out
http://bluecollarmtb.com/2005/03/02/...-collar-style/
There is a picture of a simple, 2x4 frame that supports your bike frame
off the ground. It looks like it would be easy to modify to make it
more stable, if that were a problem. There is also a "plan" (scanned
sketch) of the stand to download.
Also check out http://www.ramsays-online.com/treado...bikestand.html
(DAGS for bike repair stand plans)
If you want to save time, though, and get on with real woodworking or
biking, have you looked at nashbar.com and performancebike.com? They
both have simple stands that lift up your rear wheel for $10-15 (not
much more than the 2x4s and hardware, unless you have the scrap), and
real stands that lift up your bike for $40-50. I still use the even
cheaper method of flipping the bike over so it rests on its handlebars
and seat, which has worked fine for me, but bending over would get
tiring if I had to do a lot of repairs.
Good luck,
Andy

Bob in Oregon

Thankya, brother!

Buy one. Since I bought my ULTIMATE stand (made in Canada), it has
encouraged me to do maintenance I pushed aside for half a decade. The
stand brings the bicycle up to eye level, so you can see into awkward
places.

You want it up in the air so you can pull off the wheels. How are you
going to do that on the ground?

If nothing more, a clamping stand assists you in washing your bike
thoroughly. You can turn the bike upside down, for those nooks and
crannys. It will set you back about $180. But, because my bike is a
custom-made affair from England, it deserved good upkeep.

Ultimate stands are put on sale by the mail-order stores at least once
a year. If you mountain bike, The TOPEAK is actually a better stand,
but costs about $50 more. Many stands collapse, come with a carry bag,
and can be tossed into a car trunk, so guys on a group ride up in the
woods can share it.

Gary Curtis
Los Angeles -- moving soon to Trinity County, Calif.

tom

Bob in Oregon wrote: Hello,
I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not
parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine.
When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike
service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have
these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

just use an old stationary trainer that closes down on the axle of the
rear wheel, and put it all up on the workbench. Rear wheel removal is a
different story, but rarely so. I can pull the wheels and true them up
in the stand, which I've outfitted with an articulating reference
point. Tom

charlie b

Bob in Oregon wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not
parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine.
When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike
service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have
these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

Thanks in Advance

If you're going to do bike repair often then look into just
plonkin' out the dough for a good repair stand. Clamp the
frame and you can work standing or sitting, rotate the
bike to any angle and, if you get the tool tray, have everything
at hand you'll need.

If you want to buy the stuff bike shops use check out Park
Tool

http://www.parktool.com/

charlie b

(my son's been working in bike shops since he was 14.
He's 28 now. Swears by Park)
Me myself and I

charlie b wrote:
Bob in Oregon wrote:

[...]

I have a Park PCS-1. It works great on both a stndard bike and my
recumbent. For around $120 (maybe cheaper on Ebay), it's worth taking
the time ti build one. You'd probably have to buy the clamping mechanism
anyway.

mmi

Jim Artherholt

"Bob in Oregon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not
parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine.
When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike
service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have
these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

Thanks in Advance

Suspending the bike with nylon straps, under the top tube at the saddle and
under the stem and around the bars, works well for many jobs. It also
offers height adjustment with different length straps. Cheap too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Artherholt

Todd Fatheree

"Jim Artherholt" wrote in message

"Bob in Oregon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not
parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine.
When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike
service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have
these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

Thanks in Advance

Suspending the bike with nylon straps, under the top tube at the saddle

and
under the stem and around the bars, works well for many jobs. It also
offers height adjustment with different length straps. Cheap too!

I guess this works OK for you, but one of the features of a good stand is
that it doesn't move as you're working on the bike. I think I'd be chasing
the bike all over the place with this setup.

todd

Todd Fatheree

"Me myself and I" wrote in message
charlie b wrote:
If you're going to do bike repair often then look into just
plonkin' out the dough for a good repair stand. Clamp the
frame and you can work standing or sitting, rotate the
bike to any angle and, if you get the tool tray, have everything
at hand you'll need.

If you want to buy the stuff bike shops use check out Park
Tool

http://www.parktool.com/

charlie b

(my son's been working in bike shops since he was 14.
He's 28 now. Swears by Park)

I have a Park PCS-1. It works great on both a stndard bike and my
recumbent. For around $120 (maybe cheaper on Ebay), it's worth taking
the time ti build one. You'd probably have to buy the clamping mechanism
anyway.

mmi

I don't know what model I have, but I bought the Park stand about 10 years
ago. The only thing I changed was to have a buddy weld a small 3/4" steel
plate to a 4 ft x 4 ft piece of 1/4" steel plate. I then mounted the stand
to that. That puppy doesn't even think of moving when you rotate the whole
bike.

todd

Todd Fatheree

"Bob in Oregon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not
parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine.
When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike
service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have
these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

Thanks in Advance

I'm curious as that what kind of service you're planning to do. I have a
fairly complete set of bike tools (stand, cone wrenches, headset wrenches,
chain breaker, bottom bracket remover...the list goes on). For me, a small
subset of the work I do would be easily accomplished by something that just
brought the rear wheel off the ground. I have the Park Tool stand, but the
one shown is the first link Andy posted looked like it would do an OK job.
The only think I would do differently if I was to build one from wood would
be to figure a way to mount it to the garage wall rather than have it
freestanding. When you rotate the entire bike or when you're just orking on
it, it's not that hard to push the whole thing over.

todd