Stacey

Default where to buy real chalkboard material?

I am looking to buy, preferable a real slate or maybe EZ Slate chalkboard
material so I can incorporate it into a project for my child. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Leon

"Stacey" wrote in message
I am looking to buy, preferable a real slate or maybe EZ Slate chalkboard
material so I can incorporate it into a project for my child. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Actually you can use any material and buy the chalk board paint to create a
chalk board.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:07:27 -0400, "Stacey" wrote:

I like the idea of a slate type surface better than the paint..

Painted plywood is easier to chalk on than real slate.
Guess who

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:30:32 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:07:27 -0400, "Stacey" wrote:

I like the idea of a slate type surface better than the paint..

Painted plywood is easier to chalk on than real slate.

I chalked on real slate for decades with no problem, so I don't know
where you get "easier" from. plywood is easier to cut and weigh a lot
less. The only disadvantage to slate is weight and cutting to size,
but even that's nothing to worry about in small doses.

Big advantage: When the kids are grown, use it as a sharpening stone.
You can cut it up and make boxes and sell it as oilstones, and more
than pay for slate and labour.

Possible source: Boards of education scrap schools, and you might be
able to scrounge a huge piece like I did.

Dhakala

If you're looking for real slate try a roofing or flooring tile
distributor. Long shot: a billiards supply house might have broken a
slate table top recently.

Badger

Guess who wrote:

Possible source: Boards of education scrap schools, and you might be
able to scrounge a huge piece like I did.

Careful its not painted asbestos board, we're still removing those.....

Niel.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Badger" wrote in message

Careful its not painted asbestos board, we're still removing those.....

Why? It is perfectly safe and won't burn. Just use caution and proper gear
if you are cutting it.

Leon

"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
Didn't you know? The asbestos Nazis have determined that just looking at
it
will kill you and your children.

I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message

I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

To prevent it from spreading, wipe it down with acetone

Leon

"Leon" wrote in message

I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

To prevent it from spreading, wipe it down with acetone

Does that melt the fibers back together?

Duane Bozarth

"Leon" wrote in message

I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

To prevent it from spreading, wipe it down with acetone

Does that melt the fibers back together?

No, but it seals in the PCBs...
Dave Hinz

"Leon" wrote in message

I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

To prevent it from spreading, wipe it down with acetone

Does that melt the fibers back together?

No, but it seals in the PCBs...

I've always heard that a spray-bottle with dioxins in it was best for
that.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:48:11 GMT, the opaque "Leon"
clearly wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Didn't you know? The asbestos Nazis have determined that just looking at
it
will kill you and your children.

I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

Given that more than 90% of the asbestos in the world is the entirely
less dangerous type, even -that- can't be altogether true. (Just don't
breathe any organic/inorganic dust daily for decades, please.)

Great mythical fears of our time: Asbestos, Global Warming, DDT,
Overpopulation, Freon, Silicone Breast Implants, Nuclear Power,
Guns, ad nauseum...

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Leon

"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
Shush. You don't want to say that to loud. There is an entire industry
who's
living depends on keeping people scared. Wouldn't want to let the secret
out.

I hear you, like the Dupont Freon thing. Thanks to Dupont we now have a
Freon that is more directly harmful to humans vs. from the scare of
depleting the ozone layer which was in worse shape in the 1920's. Shall we
talk about the mold industry now. LOL.

Leon

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Great mythical fears of our time: Asbestos, Global Warming, DDT,
Overpopulation, Freon, Silicone Breast Implants, Nuclear Power,
Guns, ad nauseum...

Exactly, about 18 years ago I was reading about the Freon fiasco on an
"uncirculated to the public" automotive trades magazine. Basically it was
mentioned that the Swill scientists had discovered back in the 1920's that
the ozone layer was in fact in worse shape than it is now, 1987 ish. Dupont
was pushing legislation to ban the old R-12 because it depleating the ozone
layer. Seems as though the real truth is that Dupont's patentent to
manufacture the Freon was getting ready to run out and they had this brand
new pattent on the new freon. Plus the new freon is supposidly more
directly harmful to humans than the old. That's probably why the new safer
freon must still be captured and not let back into the atmosphere when a
mechanic works on an AC system.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Charles Krug

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:36:58 GMT, Leon
wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
Shush. You don't want to say that to loud. There is an entire industry
who's
living depends on keeping people scared. Wouldn't want to let the secret
out.

I hear you, like the Dupont Freon thing. Thanks to Dupont we now have a
Freon that is more directly harmful to humans vs. from the scare of
depleting the ozone layer which was in worse shape in the 1920's. Shall we
talk about the mold industry now. LOL.

Am I the only one who noticed that Freon was "banned" (though it's still
easily available in the Third World) just as soon as DuPont's patent
protection ran out?

Funny that, no?

John

CW wrote:
Didn't you know? The asbestos Nazis have determined that just looking at it
will kill you and your children.

Absolutely right. Frightening stuff.

I remember driving up through Vermont's Northeast Kingdom to Quebec
city years ago and seeing those huge open pit asbestos mines. Can't
remember if they were in Vermont or Quebec, but I think Quebec.
Thetford Mines, maybe? I do hope that Canada has covered them with
fiberglass, or set up a negative pressure tent over them. Or at least
posted armed guards. What will happen if the wind blows our way? Or a
terrorist grabs up a handful (at severe personal risk, of course),
smuggles it across the border, and releases it in Washington? Too
terrible to even think about.

John Martin

Leon

"Charles Krug" wrote in message
Am I the only one who noticed that Freon was "banned" (though it's still
easily available in the Third World) just as soon as DuPont's patent
protection ran out?

No, I knew about that about 18 years ago.

Funny that, no?

Leon

"Charles Krug" wrote in message
Am I the only one who noticed that Freon was "banned" (though it's still
easily available in the Third World) just as soon as DuPont's patent
protection ran out?

Actually Freon was not banned. R-12 is banned.

Badger

"Leon" wrote in message
I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

As I've seen the end result of asbestos exposure first hand I can say
its a terrible way to die....
Scott Lurndal

"Leon" wrote in message
I am beginning to think that asbestos is only a real danger to those
removing it.

As I've seen the end result of asbestos exposure first hand I can say
its a terrible way to die....

So is getting crushed in a car accident, which is _far_ _far_ more likely
than mesothelioma or asbestosis, especially in the general population.

One viewpoint:
http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/3_21.htm

Another viewpoint:
http://www.jamesphogan.com/bb/content/111202.shtml

Nate Weber

Leon wrote:
Plus the new freon is supposidly more
directly harmful to humans than the old. That's probably why the new safer
freon must still be captured and not let back into the atmosphere when a
mechanic works on an AC system.

It has to be recovered because the EPA was getting ****ed that people
were not recovering all refrigerants, only R12.
The 134A you buy for refrigeration is the same chemical that is in the
cans of compressed air for cleaning computers and such.

Nate

--
Http://www.Weber-Automation.net:8000
B a r r y

Badger wrote:

As I've seen the end result of asbestos exposure first hand I can say
its a terrible way to die....

Same here.

My FIL installed asbestos in the late 50's to the 70's. Many of his
friends and co-workers slowly died, the rest have weird coughs. The
government is still tracking the results of exposure with yearly chest
scans, and continual data gathering.

If it's undisturbed, the hazards are minimal. Working with it, or
exposure to loose, damaged material is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"B a r r y" wrote in message

If it's undisturbed, the hazards are minimal. Working with it, or
exposure to loose, damaged material is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Barry

Undisturbed or coated with something protective, even paint. Dust is the
hazard.

People sometimes panic because asbestos is in the room. That is not going
to present a problem in tiles, siding, insulation, as long as you just leave
it alone. A little common sense goes a long way. The only sad part is
that it took a long time to find what the real hazard was and a long time to
change practices.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 03:44:15 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

it was mentioned that the Swill scientists had discovered back in the 1920's that
the ozone layer was in fact in worse shape than it is now,

Rubbish. Until 1957 and the International Geophysical Year, we had
almost no knowledge of the upper atmosphere, the ozone layer, and
particularly its behaviour near the poles. One of the problems with
studying upper atmosphere behaviour is that we just don't have good data
in reasonable volume until the 1980s - there was no way to get
instrumentation in position to measure it, certainly not on a regular
basis.

It's odd that much of what we know about the upper atmosphere is
courtesy of NASA's second-hand U2-R, a relic of the Cold War, and also
that plate-tectonics and continental drift was only convincingly
demonstrated thanks to oceanic mapping efforts intended to hunt ICBM
submarines.