ommadawn

Default Catch For Secret Compartment

I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment.
Any ideas?

LRod

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:01:44 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment.
Any ideas?

Well, yeah, but now we'll all know...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Bill D

Make a wooden latch that uses gravity. Will that work?

Cheers
Bill D
New Zealand

"ommadawn" wrote in message
ink.net...
I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment.
Any ideas?

Andy

I read about someone making an invisible lock/latch using a nail and a
magnet - have the nail sunk through a piece of small stock inside the
compartment which can pivot and the nail end can fall into a hole.
When you move a magnet up past the nail on the outside of the
compartment, the nail lifts out of the hole and releases the latch.
Did that make sense? Sorry - it sounds confusing, and it may be more
complex than you need, but it's really not a difficult concept and I
think it would be fun to try. (This idea came from a book by Kary
Mullis, inventer of the Polymerase Chain Reaction, if there are any
other woodworking molecular biologists out there...)
Andy

CW

I'd tell you but it's a secret.

"ommadawn" wrote in message
ink.net...
I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment.
Any ideas?

Upscale

"ommadawn" wrote in message news:sCWxe.15555
I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment.
Any ideas?

A magnetic touch latch.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...399,41403&ap=1

A magnetically operated lock. Some people use them as child safety locks.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...399,41403&ap=1

LRod

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:37:26 +1200, "Bill D"
wrote:

Make a wooden latch that uses gravity. Will that work?

It might in NZed but then it wouldn't work in the U.S...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

charlie b

ommadawn wrote:

I need a way to catch the back wall of a cabinet for a secret compartment.
Any ideas?

Have I got a deal for you!

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../ChasCab2.html

charlie b

ps - the LV cylindrical rare earth magnets just
barely work through 3/4" ply. Must be all that
glue in Batlic Birch

Jim K

You can use some rare-earth magnets and some steel to make a latch.
The steel gets inlayed into one side and the magnets into the other.
They are surprisingly strong. I use this set up for a lot of box
latches.