Steve DeMars

Default The Best Saw Trolley, 4' X 8' Panel Cutting System . . .

I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have the skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for the
best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this task . . .

I have seen dozens of different systems to rip 4' X 8' sheets of plywood.
Some are trollies with horizontal and vertical runners, some are sleds, some
just offer a straight edge . . .

Anyone with any experience with one of these that really works well, please
let me know . . .

Thanks, Steve

P.S. O.T. How do I hide my e-mail address so the spammers don't see it and
bombard me . . .

toller

Depends on your budget. A straight edge with a pair of good clamps works
fine.
I did that for a while, then upgraded to a straight edge with and edge clamp
built in. It is much easier, but also more expensive.
A step up from that is the one with the sled built into it. I don't see the
point of that for cutting since the circular saw wants to go straight, so
just running it against the straight edge is easy enough. It might be
helpful for routing slots because the router wants to stray, but you didn't
ask about that.

Hiding your email is easy enough. Go into tools/accounts/properties (or
something like that) and put in a whimsical email address.

Upscale

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have the

skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for the
best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this task . . .

An appropriate height outfeed table should be sufficient. If necessary a
table or roller stand for infeed. Much less cheaper than building a panel
saw.

Worst case scenario, cut it up with a power hand saw and then trim them to
size on the tablesaw.

Patriarch

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have
the

skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for
the best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this
task . . .

An appropriate height outfeed table should be sufficient. If necessary
a table or roller stand for infeed. Much less cheaper than building a
panel saw.

Worst case scenario, cut it up with a power hand saw and then trim
them to size on the tablesaw.

Find a helper for ripping sheet goods that large on any saw. Or do them
with a saw guide and a circular saw. The archives are full of discussion
on how to build and use them (simple). Many of the veterans recommend doin
it that way, for good reason.

Patriarch
Knothead

Anyone with any experience with one of these that really works well, please
let me know . . .

Holzer makes a nice panel saw....;-)

loutent

In article %D3xe.81263$gc6.4021@okepread04, Steve DeMars
wrote:

I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have the skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for the
best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this task . . .

I have seen dozens of different systems to rip 4' X 8' sheets of plywood.
Some are trollies with horizontal and vertical runners, some are sleds, some
just offer a straight edge . . .

Anyone with any experience with one of these that really works well, please
let me know . . .

Thanks, Steve

P.S. O.T. How do I hide my e-mail address so the spammers don't see it and
bombard me . . .

Hi Steve,

Google "Sawboard". For example:

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

I use this and a relatively small circular saw (a PC Sawboss)
to cut down big sheets with very good accuracy.

Lou
Morris Dovey

Knothead (in 1120217444.2a1ce734d6692542d02a429e1b7f115a@terane ws)
said:

| Holzer makes a nice panel saw....;-)

Or you can build your own. See http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/panel_saw
for an example. I'm using some unusual tooling to build mine, but the
job can be done otherwise with a little creativity.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ron Magen

Steve,
First . . . WHY does it have to be on a tablesaw? I did it . . . once. It
was basically a 'freehand' endeavor. Accuracy was no great issue because it
was a rough cut, anyway.

If your intent is to just cut-up more 'workable' sections . . . getting a
small cordless circular saw would be a better use of money & time. {You
could probably get away with an 'ultra-cheap' one from Harbor Freight}.
Trying for an accurate cut - with a full sheet - on a tablesaw is a 'fools
errand'; at least in my opinion.

I have a 105 inch aluminum 'Guide' {2-piece} that cost me about $20 . . .
about 15 years ago. Variations are still available. This is what I use when
a LONG, ACCURATE, STRAIGHT cut is required. Otherwise, I would use my OLD
Sears 7-1/2in circular saw with a 'rough cut' blade. Recently, I've gotten a
Ryobi cordless {4-1/2in ?} circular saw. A very handy tool. Lay down some
scrap 2x4's, or a 'slab' of 2in thick Insulation Foam, lay the sheet goods
on top . . . and have at it. Set the blade depth about 1/8in 'deeper' than
the ply and there should be no problem 'freehanding' the cut.{There are
numerous ways to make 'custom' guides as well}

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have the

skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for the
best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this task . . .

Knothead

said:

| Holzer makes a nice panel saw....;-)

Or you can build your own. See http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/panel_saw
for an example. I'm using some unusual tooling to build mine, but the
job can be done otherwise with a little creativity.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

What are you routing the "U" grooves on? Is that an overhead cnc rig or a
manual x and y router?

Knothead

snip
Trying for an accurate cut - with a full sheet - on a tablesaw is a 'fools
errand'; at least in my opinion.

more snippage

Fools errand? I get cabinet grade full length rips from my table saw every
time and know several others that do as well. The OP is better off making a
proper outfeed table and learning how to use what he has...

nospambob

I bought the Penn State panel cutting hardware in 1997 and have been
very happy with it. Uses circular saw or can be configured for router
as well.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:28:43 -0500, "Steve DeMars"
wrote:

I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have the skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for the
best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this task . . .

I have seen dozens of different systems to rip 4' X 8' sheets of plywood.
Some are trollies with horizontal and vertical runners, some are sleds, some
just offer a straight edge . . .

Anyone with any experience with one of these that really works well, please
let me know . . .

Thanks, Steve

P.S. O.T. How do I hide my e-mail address so the spammers don't see it and
bombard me . . .

Pat Barber

A much simpler solution is a piece of 1/4" plywood
with a fence running the length of the ply. Using a
decent circular saw, you can deal with any size plywood.

Here is short version:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

The author uses 3/4" plywood which is major overkill and
would make a 8' much too heavy.

Steve DeMars wrote:

I'm a newbie . . .have a Delta Table Saw, but realize I don't have the skill
to rip a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on a table saw. So I'm looking for the
best gadget, method or combination of both to accomplish this task . . .

I have seen dozens of different systems to rip 4' X 8' sheets of plywood.
Some are trollies with horizontal and vertical runners, some are sleds, some
just offer a straight edge . . .

Anyone with any experience with one of these that really works well, please
let me know . . .

Thanks, Steve

P.S. O.T. How do I hide my e-mail address so the spammers don't see it and
bombard me . . .

Pat Barber

Possibly so...most folks with smaller saws are not ready
or capable of doing that. I have a giant table saw and
I always cut plywood with a guide and circualr saw. It's
much easier and much safer in my opinion.

I'm a pretty good sized fellow and I can hardly manage
horsing a full sheet of oak plywood up on a table saw.

I do know pro cabinet guys who can do it but I think the
"average" weekend warrior is risking too much for the
honor of saying he can do it.

Knothead wrote:

Fools errand? I get cabinet grade full length rips from my table saw every
time and know several others that do as well. The OP is better off making a
proper outfeed table and learning how to use what he has...

Knothead

snip
Possibly so...most folks with smaller saws are not ready
or capable of doing that. I have a giant table saw and
I always cut plywood with a guide and circualr saw. It's
much easier and much safer in my opinion.
snip

To properly cut on a tablesaw you have to have in and outfeed tables. I
would never suggest nor did I imply that your should just flop a 4x8 onto
the saw. To try and beef a piece of sheet stock onto the saw is stupid, but
if you know your going to work alone you need to design your shop for such
contigencies. I used Morris Dovey's tilting bench idea for a conference
table I did some time back and modified it to my saw height and laminated it
so it was nice and slick. Now I roll the bench to the stock pile then roll
over to the ts and tilt the table up into position and push full sheets
through.. To create this thing was a few hours of work and about $65 of
materials. (Oh and yes, I scrutinized Morris's website). It's safe
convenient and will work for about any kind of table saw .. depending on
the outfeed table. When not in use the tilting bench fits nicely against
the wall and will comfortably store 4 sheets of 3/4 stock.
My meaning was simply to work with what he has and learn how to get the best
out of it. Oh and originally if he has the cash the Holzer is a sweet
rig....

Patriarch

"Knothead" wrote in
news:1120240029.5c72a4fa951255c7b227974047ac7716@t eranews:

snip
[...]

The primary scarcity most of us have to deal with is the required 9' in
front of, and 9' behind, the sawtable. The use of the sawguide reduces
that significantly, in addition to the valid safety and convenience issues
others have detailed.

Patriarch

Copper vs. aluminum electrical supply Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 21 November 5th 04 01:45 AM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Gear cutting...am I crazy? (long) Glenn Lyford Metalworking 27 December 27th 03 06:39 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM