JuanKnighter

Default Stair building?

How do I calculate the total rise of a stairway when I can't drop a
measuring tape? Like this is outside on an embankment and the ground is in
the way?

Knothead

"JuanKnighter" wrote in message
How do I calculate the total rise of a stairway when I can't drop a
measuring tape? Like this is outside on an embankment and the ground is in
the way?

I would shoot it with a transit to get an accurate reading to calculate
stairs.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:20:40 -0700, the opaque "JuanKnighter"
spake:

How do I calculate the total rise of a stairway when I can't drop a
measuring tape? Like this is outside on an embankment and the ground is in
the way?

Have someone stand on a 2x4 on the landing while you run a tape up to
it from the bottom to get the "rise." Then measure the length of the
2x4 marks between the landing (or doorframe) and at the place of
measurement (outside edge of bottom step) for the "run."

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Josh

If it's a particularly long drop and you don't have a 2x4 long enough
or straight enough (or the floor from which you're starting is
unlevel), you can stretch a string or wire along the path of the
stairs. Then, using a level and a protractor, measure the angle of the
string away from horizontal. The height will then be the sine of the
angle times the length of the string. The horizontal distance out to
the end of the stairs will be the cosine of the angle times the length
of the string. If you don't have a scientific calculator, you can use
the calculator in Windows under Accessories. Change it to scientific
mode under the "view" menu. Make sure the angle mode is set to
"degrees" (top right), not "radians" or "grads".