Default Need help finding ring-shaped wire clamp

Was wondering if I can find it in the States:

the clamp is a slit ring of may be 4" OD, made out of
1/8 or so, spring-tempered steel. Works wonders when clampling
elaborate/intiricate woodwork.

Is used extensively in Russia - this is where I saw it.
Doing extensive searches in US catalogs didn't show anything
even remotely similar ...

Trying to avoid having to make my own (1/8 drill bent with a home made
bender, heat-treated).

The ring has to be as close to ideal circle and be planar to work
the best.

Juergen Hannappel

writes:

Was wondering if I can find it in the States:

the clamp is a slit ring of may be 4" OD, made out of
1/8 or so, spring-tempered steel. Works wonders when clampling
elaborate/intiricate woodwork.

Something like the fourth item on
http://www.fine-tools.com/rahm.htm ?

[...]

Trying to avoid having to make my own (1/8 drill bent with a home made
bender, heat-treated).

Wrong type of steel, not springy enough.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Not at all like this one, no.

Just image 4" diameter perfect circle/ring, made out of piece of 4mm
(1/8) or so wire, slit so that ends can be moved apart and the steel,
being springy, will try to get the ends together again. Nothing more,
nothing less.

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
writes:

Was wondering if I can find it in the States:

the clamp is a slit ring of may be 4" OD, made out of
1/8 or so, spring-tempered steel. Works wonders when clampling
elaborate/intiricate woodwork.

Something like the fourth item on
http://www.fine-tools.com/rahm.htm ?

Vic Baron

I'd do a search for hose clamps. Also check the embroidery/ needlepoint
areas - I think they use things like that to hold the fabric on the rings.
You can buy screw type 4" hose clamps all over, if they would work

HTH, Vic

Unfortunately the hose clamps will not do, neither will anything at the
url above.
I did look for curtain rings at some point - but they tend to be too
small in D.

To try again - imagine 2 x 3.14 x 2 = ~12" long drill rod, 1/8 in D.
Now roll it into a perfect circle , heat treat and bingo - you got just
the thing I
am looking for.

Or, if you want to skip the heat treating part, imagine rolling 12"
length of music
wire of .100-.125 in D.

charlie b

How about cutting sections of 4" ABS or PVC pipe?
Cut out slice for whatever "spring" tension you need
and go.

charlie b
Lawrence Wasserman

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
writes:

Was wondering if I can find it in the States:

the clamp is a slit ring of may be 4" OD, made out of
1/8 or so, spring-tempered steel. Works wonders when clampling
elaborate/intiricate woodwork.

Something like the fourth item on
http://www.fine-tools.com/rahm.htm ?

Not what you are asking for, but I have made similar clamps from a
piece of PVC pipe, 4" ID, cut into appo. 1" "slices" then cut once
radially so they can be spread open into a "C" shape. I made about 20
of them from a waste piece of pipe I took out of a construction site
dumpster.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland